cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to buy wood

HappyCanadianCa
Explorer
Explorer
Hi fellow campers. Iโ€™m relatively new to the RV world and am taking my first trip down the Oregon Coast from Canada. As our wood is not allowed to mix with American wood, where is the best places in the US, more specifically the Washington and Oregon Coast, to buy firewood at a reasonable price?
48 REPLIES 48

HappyCanadianCa
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your tips! I think it'll end up being the propane fire pit. I'm not complaining about buying wood, I just didn't know where to get it as I've never had a fire in the United States! In Canada they sell "bundles" at gas stations at a ridiculous price, so I was avoiding that (who wants to pay more for anything!). Sounds like propane bowl is the easiest and most cost efficient. :B

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
naturist wrote:
My experience has been that campground hosts, rangers, and the folks in the office can all tell you where to buy wood nearby. Moving wood from one campground to another is highly discouraged if not outright illegal due to various non-native insect species such as emerald ash borers, woliaed aphids, gypsy moths, etc. Wherever you go, do NOT stock up. Buy only what you plan to burn where you are, and leave any leftovers for the next camper. Yes, itโ€™s more expensive, but the locals appreciate your not infecting their woods with new pests.

The EAB was first found in Butler County PA in 2007. The state DNR and dept of agriculture initiated firewood bans and quarantines. As of 2016 62 of PAs 67 every counties has the EAB, and it has moved to NY, NJ,and all other NE states. The statewide county by county quarantine is no longer in effect. Quarantines and other such government decrees do nothing. The EAB migrating from the Detroit MI area where first discovered ( believed to have arrived in pallets from Asia) in 2002, and now in at least 31 states and some Canadian Provinces, had very little to do with campers moving firewood around and more to do with commercial movement of forest products.

Good luck telling that to people who recieve a paycheck from organizations such as donotmovefirewood.org, who have a vested interest in a calamity of epic proportions for their job security.

Are invasive insects a huge environmental issue as well as an economic one? You betcha. Are firewood rules going to solve it or even help.......not really. The whole scenario was brought on by the same people telling you not to move wood, who were not doing their job in 2002. I am told to not move firewood, but sawmill Joe can haul a load of freshly cut Ash that is never inspected, from MD or WV to his mill in PA, because he holds a piece of paper from the USDA. Horsepoopage.

And by the way, the PA DCNR advises you to not leave wood behind for the next camper but to burn it.
By all means, if a law doesn't completely yield the intended results you should just ignore it. If that is your mantra, I don't know why you would choose firewood as your law to ignore. It would be much more profitable to realize the war on drugs isn't working and then start selling heroin.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well no fire ban in Western Oregon now, in fact we have a gale warning for this afternoon. That said here at South beach SP we currently have a stock of Kiln dried heat treated firewood.
As stated before many sources for firewood all about $5 for a bundle.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I buy from the local camp host. He needs a bit extra $$ more than the big corporations.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I found it interesting regarding the "only use local firewood" when at one oregon state park on the coast a big tractor trailer pulled in with a load of firewood that the campground sells. I asked where it came from. Well, hardly what I would call local, came from forests around Wallowa Lake, the FAR eastern part of the state, a stones through from Idaho.

So I guess it's do as I say, not as I do.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I find it sort of funny that people spend many thousands of dollars on trailers, towing vehicles, etc, then complain about spending a few bucks for wood.

The one's I feel for are young families just starting out in tents and pop-ups. When we were still tenting it was a stretch to pull together $100 for a weekend. There was lots of free wood everywhere, we rarely paid for it. No free wood anymore.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
As others have suggested - don't sweat it - don't haul it. Local supplies are plentiful and every Oregon State Park I have visited has firewood for sale and while you pay a slight premium it's nominal and helps support the park system.
Kevin

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most campgrounds sell bundled firewood but ... expensive
Many Grocery stores, and even gas stations likewise, also more costly than I like.

And finally you have private sellers.. Drive in any direction for 2 miles or 4 KM and you will likely find 2 or 3 alongside the road. My recommendation is these folks. Some even deliver if you order large amounts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JimVan
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy bundles of fir wood at most big box stores that is certified by the government to be safe.USDA Certified for quality assurance
Heat Treated and Kiln Dried to prevent mold eliminate insects
Jim & Vanessia
Winnebago Minnie 2500 rls
2015 Silverado 4x4

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:
My experience has been that campground hosts, rangers, and the folks in the office can all tell you where to buy wood nearby. Moving wood from one campground to another is highly discouraged if not outright illegal due to various non-native insect species such as emerald ash borers, woliaed aphids, gypsy moths, etc. Wherever you go, do NOT stock up. Buy only what you plan to burn where you are, and leave any leftovers for the next camper. Yes, itโ€™s more expensive, but the locals appreciate your not infecting their woods with new pests.

The EAB was first found in Butler County PA in 2007. The state DNR and dept of agriculture initiated firewood bans and quarantines. As of 2016 62 of PAs 67 every counties has the EAB, and it has moved to NY, NJ,and all other NE states. The statewide county by county quarantine is no longer in effect. Quarantines and other such government decrees do nothing. The EAB migrating from the Detroit MI area where first discovered ( believed to have arrived in pallets from Asia) in 2002, and now in at least 31 states and some Canadian Provinces, had very little to do with campers moving firewood around and more to do with commercial movement of forest products.

Good luck telling that to people who recieve a paycheck from organizations such as donotmovefirewood.org, who have a vested interest in a calamity of epic proportions for their job security.

Are invasive insects a huge environmental issue as well as an economic one? You betcha. Are firewood rules going to solve it or even help.......not really. The whole scenario was brought on by the same people telling you not to move wood, who were not doing their job in 2002. I am told to not move firewood, but sawmill Joe can haul a load of freshly cut Ash that is never inspected, from MD or WV to his mill in PA, because he holds a piece of paper from the USDA. Horsepoopage.

And by the way, the PA DCNR advises you to not leave wood behind for the next camper but to burn it.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
you might want to check on burn bans before thinking about a fire

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Usually on the roads close to the campgrounds there are locals selling firewood fairly cheap

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful using pallets, especially if you don't know what they where used to carry.

On the way to the campground, keep you eyes open for the firewood stands on the side of the road. As long as they are near the campground, you are fine burning that wood. Also, it is usually less per bundle, and much larger bundles, than at the campground store. Depending on what kind of camper you are driving, you may want to get setup at the campground and then go back for the firewood.

Easiest thing to do, if you are only going to have an evening fire, is to buy the $5 bundles from the camp store. Of course, it usually takes at least two bundles for a few hours fire.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
Even here there can be restrictions transporting firewood from state to state or even county to county.

Check the local papers for people in the area you are heading to selling firewood. Do an internet search for firewood and the area where your destination is located. You may get a hit or two.

If you are towing with a truck, shipping pallets are a good source for wood that can cross state lines. They can be broken down or placed whole in your truck bed under your gear. The wood is bug free and has been kiln dried. Square shipping pallets are usually held for reuse, but sometimes given away. See if there are any windshield replacement shops or commercial glass repair shops near your home or destination before leaving and call ahead to see if they have any pallets they are giving away. They usually have odd sized pallets and pallets with side framing that aren't usually reused. We have a local windshield replacement shop that stacks them outside for free give away instead of paying for disposal of them.

In the past, I've saved pallets with the oak used for any cooking and the pine for the camp fire after dinner.

Scrap lumber is also a good source for transportable kiln dried and bug free lumber. Construction sites may let you rummage through their trash bin or even let you have a few pallets.

In Oregon State Parks....you do not bring pallets in to burn.
cpaulsen