Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which brands have good winter packages?

wvworkin
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,
We are looking at getting our first travel trailer and it is overwhelming of course. Mainly right now for my husbands job which requires him to work away on jobsites and doesn't pay for hotels. Of course having it for vacations would be great too..but for now, since he works year round, I know we need a real " winter" package and aside from artic fox, any other rv brands that do a good job with their polar or winter packages? We don't need or want a enormous trailer. I'm looking for used models. I looked at truck campers but we have a 2008 ford f250sd diesel srw, so I think we are overweight for any with a slide, and maybe some without..I came across a nice older kinda smaller (27ft) used artic fox 5th wheel but unsure of that too since we don't have a dually and we don't need one all that big. I can't afford a new truck just for the camper. I like what I have seen of the artic fox line but to buy new...you know the saying, champagne tastes with beer wallet..even used they are pricey. So what else is out there that you guys can vouch for that works well in winter situations? (Midwest and northeast winters) Thanks!:)
46 REPLIES 46

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
wvworking, Sorry we didn’t respond earlier.....we were out camping!

If your looking at a travel trailer (not a 5th wheel), take a look at the Excel brand. They were guaranteed down to a -10 F. The company went under a few years back.....but still has support from some of the original company employees!

There’s not a lot of them out there (smaller family owned manufacturer), but worth taking a look at!

If a fifth wheel is on the menu, you were given a good list in an earlier post. Of the manufacturers that built good 4-season units......Excel was the most recent (meaning newer, used units out there), to fold. And as I mentioned....there is a group of Excel workers that formed there own company....and the specialize in the Excels!

However, true 4-season units will be pretty heavy, due to the construction. Essentially....you can’t get the 4-season features without additional weight!

One of the best among the best....was the Teton. But, they “folded” in ‘07.....meaning you have to be very careful about roof/slide leaks that may have caused damage. There are several good buys on Tetons out there. RVTrader.com and RVT.com, have numerous listings. There was one near us that appeared to be an awesome unit. If I didn’t already own it’s “near twin”.....I would have looked at it!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

wvworkin
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
You want winter package try this Ruski RV
:B

https://youtu.be/LnLfCIWOL8w

Shut up and take my money, lol. Sweet Jesus, I'd died of stress during that test run....

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
You want winter package try this Ruski RV
:B

https://youtu.be/LnLfCIWOL8w

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
hotpepperkid wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
It always amazes me no matter the subject out come the professional know it alls.
I thought that was the whole point of having these web pages.

Well if they actually knew what they talking about would be nice, otherwise I consider it entertainment

Since the OP is asking about TTs, and most if not all TTs have either laminated walls with 1" foam (R7) or 1-1/2" (R9), or stick and tin walls with 1-1/2" of batt insul at some other ridiculously low value, along with roofs that are no more than 5" thick at the center, I consider it all entertainment lol.

You can add all the cheap dual pane windows and reflective barrier sheets you want but the end result is the same. Get 2 electric heaters and lots of LPG.

A good idea might be to visit multiple dealers, take all their glossy brochures advertising cold weater packages, then crumble them up and stuff them loosely in any cavity you can find in the TT. That or burn them in the fire ring and stand around it lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:
It always amazes me no matter the subject out come the professional know it alls.

Well if they actually knew what they talking about would be nice, otherwise I consider it entertainment

Have we forgotten this is the internet?
and an opinion is all we get?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
hotpepperkid wrote:

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
hotpepperkid wrote:
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
I have been told in the frozen north they have trailers that drop down on the ice for fishing the frozen lakes. I have never seen one but you would think they would be better insulated and since you can lower them to the ground it would keep the wind from blowing under the trailer which would help keep a little warmer.
A friend told me they seen a bunch of them around in Minnesota. Might be worth checking out.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
it did be one?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
wv workin,
very few on this forum have any idea what its like for a working person. To me, living in my rv through the worst of winters pipelinning in Canada was not a cost saving measure, although it did be one, site rent, propane and electric costs were high but altogether cost was less than hotel, meals.
Theres nothing like coming home to your own bed and home. cooking your own, not truck stop food. The savings lies in the perdiem allowance which in a motel he may have to use it all, where in an rv its possible to use far less which pays for the rig.

My first 3 units paid for themselves through that savings and I had the added benefit of having the family, pet, friends come stay anytime without charge..

Heres the rub.
Summers campsites are easier to find, power and propane costs minimal, but sites pricier
Winters, sites are tougher to find, cheaper to rent, Power and propane costs higher.
Factor in the total costs its moot. winter or summer.
Do not give up because of the response here. I spent 22 years in your mans shoes ,
Max, ua local 254 ( winnipeg mb. ) plumbers and pipeliners retired.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Believe whatever you want but 10,000 construction workers and 20,000 mine workers can't be wrong.

wvworkin
Explorer
Explorer
hmm. I'm guesssing many don't know what it's like to work away from home in industrial pipeline type jobs in rural areas with few hotel options that are reasonable, And if they are reasonable, they are often rather nasty to spend more than a few days in.I have several friends with husbands in similar jobs who have paid for their trailer with hotel savings and by using campgrounds in summer months have trimmed expenses considerably as well as having a comfortable and private place to rest after 10 and 12 hour shifts. We are talking 5k -8k range used trailers, not 35k units. Seeing all the comments I can't justify the price of the polar units right now. We've decided to go the cheaper route and he will use hotels in the winter. Thanks for everyone's comments..

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Insulated trailers are not a myth. People live them year around in places that are below zero.
Maybe not - but your not going to save money by maintaining livable conditions. No way is it going to be any cheaper than, as the OP states, "better than a hotel room with a microwave, mini fridge and questionable bed". Maybe the husband like ice coffee though...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS