cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2011 Honda CR-V

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
Question on towing a 2011 Honda CRV automatic 4-wheel drive four wheels down. I am following the owners manual to the letter..shifting thru all gears....running engine in neutral for 3 minutes prior to moving vehicle..keep it under 65 mph. Here is my question: If I do all that and tow it for 5-6 hours....then boondock for 10-12 hours WITHOUT disconnecting the vehicle...do I need to do the prep again before towing it?
10 REPLIES 10

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I Tow a 2007 Honda CRV.
Start it every morning ,go through the gears back to Nuetral.
I donโ€™t time it but probably runs 3 or 4 minutes.
After shutdown I pump the brake pedal 3 or 4 times to bleed off the Brake booster!
Itโ€™s a Brakemaster Air Braking System
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great responses. I will do the procedure as directed by the owners manual. I was hoping to avoid having to remove the toads auxiliary brake each morning prior to towing it but I will have to reset that also. I've been towing a Saturn Vue until now and that was much easier....just get up and go!

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a 2011 CRV. Every morning I start the vehicle and let it run for a while to charge the battery. I then run through the start up routine before we hit the road.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I do it every morning before I tow. I go outside and start it run it through the cycle and then I go back in my motorhome and finish up on the inside. Then when Iโ€™m done on the inside I go out and shut the car off and prep it just like it supposed too.
Better to play safe then be sorry.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I always do the procedure on my 03 CRV before moving it I will often start it when at a rest stop. It is all about the care and lubrication for the transmission.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
gafidler wrote:
my 2011 manuel says to go thur the pre tow sequecence every day or after 8 hours of contuines towing which ever comes 1st.

BINGO.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
my 2011 manuel says to go thur the pre tow sequecence every day or after 8 hours of contuines towing which ever comes 1st.

Y-Guy
Teeshot1939 my take on it, yes. The vehicle has sat overnight, fluids, etc needs to be warmed up and lubricate parts. Not worth the risk by not doing it.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Bumpy. Why take a chance, it only takes a few minutes to do the procedure.
And, the manual tells you to run the engine for three minutes in neutral before moving the vehicle.
But, like Bumpy, I don't know.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
don't know but I think I would.
bumpy