cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 navigator towing 29' trailer

dale2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new 2015 navigator with 8500 pounds towing capicity. I am pulling a 22FBS North Trail by Heartland travel trailer. Trailer fully loaded weigh about 6500 Lbs. I have a 1200 Lb Reese hitch with Dual Cam sway control. The 3.5L twin turbo and 6 speed trany has plenty of power to tow this trailer. I'm really impressed with this engine trany combination. However the Navigator seems to "wiggle" a fair amount and sway some when trucks pass or in winds of about 10 to 15 MPH or more. the Navigator has indipendent suspension vs the a conventional truck axle suspension. Depending on road conditions and wind I'm limited to 60 to 65 MPH to still feel in control.
Has anyone had this experience towing with the new Navigator?
15 REPLIES 15

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Does the Navigator have electronic trailer sway control? Try turning it off when you feel the truck wiggle, you might be surprised by the GOOD results. I wont get into details, but I have first hand knowledge and personal experience with this and certain year/model Fords. You might even find your towing MPG go up when you turn it off for long periods.

Other advice is very good as well, such as bumping to max cold PSI in those P rated tires that come stock. They are soft and allow lateral movement when towing.

Tongue weight and WHD set up is also very important.

Wheelbase comments are so far off, I can only tell you to completely ignore them. 119" too short for a 20' trailer? Please. I've towed a 26' bumper to ball trailer with a 109" SUV. These long wheel base comments are the same as the "need a bigger truck" comment found all over this site. Ignore such responses!

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have enough tongue weight. The dry TW on that unit I believe is 380 lbs, or <8% of dry trailer weight. Sure adding propane, battery, stuff to front compartment will bring it up some, but these trailers are squirmy if the TW is too light (been there, done that). It sure helps sell units to folks who have TW restrictions though. At 6500 lbs. you should have somewhere between 780-975 lbs. TW. Of course to know where you're at you'll have to hit the scales.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 03 Navi that I briefly towed my TT with. I do agree that changing tires and reexamining the WD/anti sway set up may help but I have felt what you described in with different TT I have towed with different tow vehicles. I have read many post where people say they get zero sway but when a speeding semi passes me my TT (and others) do move and when the wind picks up or gets gusty I feel it.

I have towed my 31' TT with everything from a Explorer V8 to the current F250 LB. The only TV that seemed more sure footed was a 99 3500 CC DRW. I have towed 5th wheels which are MUCH more stable compared to TT so I wonder how much of the instability is in the set up and design of TT and how they are connected to our TV's.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

dale2
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, I believe the Navigator does auto leveling but not sure how to change that when using WDH. I set controls to Towing and Sport mode (tightest suspension) but their is no controls that idenify auto leveling on or off.
The trailer has the newer Wide Trac axle spacing where their is about 12" between the tires. Not sure if that effects towing or not. I believe my TW is 13 to 14% of Tr weight.
I'm going to check TW again when fully loaded before we head south for 4 months and fine tune my dual cams to make sure they are set up exactly right.

smiggleburger
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2008 Expedition pulling the same size trailer and it was a nightmare. I ended up getting a Hensley hitch to make all the sway, wiggle and anxiety of towing with that thing go away. The wide stance axles on your 22FBS are probably doing more than you realize in terms of reducing sway.
2018 F-250 Super Duty 6.2L 3.73
2015 Bullet Premier 30RIPR
Hensley Arrow

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Change to LT tires. I had some P tires on an pickup i had and switched to LT tires and made a night and day difference towing.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
We use two Expys to tow with, one with P tires, the other with LT. I certainly can tell the difference although with the sway bar cranked down it isn't a issue.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
dale2 wrote:
---However the Navigator seems to "wiggle" a fair amount and sway some when trucks pass or in winds of about 10 to 15 MPH or more. the Navigator has indipendent suspension vs the a conventional truck axle suspension.---
Does you Navigator have the automatic rear leveling featue?

If so, do you take any special measures to ensure the auto leveling does not interfere with the operation of your WDH?

Ron

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I'd focus on the WDH adjustment. The Reese is picky about having the detents on the bars centered on the cam lobes. When mine is properly adjusted, it is rock solid at 75mph. When it's off, 60mph is scary. Etrailer has a number of videos on the dual cam system. This one at about 5:30 mark is useful for you.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Ride quality suspension and 'P' rated tires most likely

Other might be too little tongue weight (it should be +12% to 15% of the ACTUAL
trailer weight

Or the trailer tongue is not level, but pointing slightly up. I prefer slightly
pointed down and that has solved many that I've readjusted and/or talked to on
this and other forums
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Moved from Forum Technical Support

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on road conditions and wind I'm limited to 60 to 65 MPH to still feel in control

You should limit yourself to that in all conditions, always. Most trailer tires are only rated to that.

You're always going to feel some movement with passing trucks and gusty winds, no matter what you drive, but there are things you can do to minimize it.

A longer wheelbase vehicle would be best but I don't imagine you want to get rid of a new vehicle. Ensure you have sufficient tongue weight (~13% of tt weight) and the hitch is set properly to transfer enough weight back to the front of tow vehicle.

Air the tires to the max rating. If you have P rated tires (soft squishy sidewalls) consider getting better truck tires with stiffer sidewalls and higher ratings.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Short Wheel Base (I am there with my setup) and P rated tires and soft suspension could be all contributing factors to your wiggle. If you have the 20" tires, I only see one LT tire in your size.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not saying this is definitively the issue, but you could be seeing the impact of a small wheel-base. The 2015 Navigator has a wheel base of 119". Here's a good article of the impact of wheel base and the size of the travel trailer.

http://davidsrvtips.blogspot.ca/2009/03/how-long.html

Im not saying this IS your issue, but something to consider. If you assume the article is relatively accurate, it basically says the first 110" of wheel base is sufficient/accommodates a 20 ft trailer. For every 4" above, you're good for another foot in TT length. So, if you assume this is close to correct, your trailer exceeds this "formula", by 7 ft. Now, Im basing that comment on the title of your thread (29ft trailer), not the trailer model (22FBS), which I assume, in reality means the box size of the TT, not overall length.

Again, not saying this is the issue, but could be.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS