cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2015 Ram 3500 and 2015/2016 Sabre 34TBOK Combo

Dman1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. We are in the process of upgrading our Hybrid to a fifth wheel, as well as upgrading our tow vehicle.

Our new tow vehicle (on order) is a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW short box 4x4 with the automatic rear air suspension, the fifth wheel prep package, and a spray in bed liner, among other things. Our new trailer we are considering is the Sabre 34TBOK.

I'm confident that the truck can easily haul this fifth wheel, so this isn't a weight related question. My question is in regards to the choice of hitches, and whether or not levelling will be an issue.

Hitch Setup: I am considering the Pullrite Superglide 16K. I know that I will need a rail adaptor and a pinbox plate in addition to this. Any advantages or disadvantages with using the Reese Riley adaptor, or the Pulrite? Is the Highjacker a better option? I'm not a big fan of the Sidewinder with a fixed hitch.

Levelling: with this setup, are there any concerns with having to flip the trailer axles? With the above hitch setup, any bed rail clearance concerns?

I'm not a newbie to camping and hauling, but I am to hauling fifth wheels. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I dont know the about Sabre but I know my truck sits high. With a pullrite 18,000 which is physically may be the same height as a 16,000 the hitch plate sits one inch below the bed rails and that's with the optional low profile feet.

The pullrite capture plate requires the truck and 5er to be within 10 degrees of straight when hitching. CHECK for differences in the 18,000 and 16,000 I dont know exactly.

I have an older 5er and went to 16 inch tires, flipped the axles and it's now level. (about 7 1/2 in) SO when you look at the Sabre level and measure from the bottom of the pin plate to the ground and measure from the ground up to one inch below the ram bed rail you will know what lift the 5er needs.

I just measured mine. It's 55 1/2 from the ground to the hitch plate. Mine is an 18,000