cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 Ranger... anyone using this as a toad???

pacificnw
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious if anyone here has rigged one of the new Ford Rangers to tow-behind. I know they are towable but was hoping to hear about some real people experiences.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

phays
Explorer
Explorer
Towing my 2019 4X4 Ranger XLT with Roadmaster base plates and towbar. I moved my Air Force One braking system from my 2006 Jeep Liberty to the Ranger. Took some effort to find room for the braking system.

The Ranger can be set in tow mode with a dumb key if you are interested. I don't like leaving a key in the ignition that can start and run the vehicle while I'm towing.

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
Google some Ranger forums and you will find some Ranger owners that use it as a toad with no problems at all. That 55 mph limit may have applied to older Rangers but not with the new ones.
I bought a 2019 Ranger and installed the Roadmaster base plate. It was an easy install and looks good. I haven't pulled it behind the MH yet but don't see any problem arising. The Ranger even tells you when you have it set up for being towed.
From the manual:

1. Put the ignition in the on position, but do not start the engine. If your vehicle has an ignition key, turn the key to the on position. If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the engine START/STOP button once without
pressing the brake pedal.
2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
3. Rotate the four-wheel drive switch to 2H.
4. Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
5. Enable Neutral Tow by selecting Settings in the information display menu.
6. Then select Vehicle.
7. Then select Neutral Tow and follow the instructions on screen.
Note: If successfully completed, the information display shows NEUTRAL TOW
LEAVE IN N or Neutral Tow Enabled Leave Transmission in Neutral. This
indicates that your vehicle is safe to tow with all wheels on the ground.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

the2sharps
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2019 Ranger 4X4. I have a Blue Ox Avail tow bar. Blue Ox makes a base plate that looks easy to install. I hopefully can get that done in the next couple of weeks.
Gary and Cindy
2 Chihuahuas - Jack and Joe
2012 Fleetwood Jamboree 31M
2015 Ford Focus

pacificnw
Explorer
Explorer
MotorHome Dinghy Towing Guide lists no such limit... for the 2019 Ranger 4x4

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check the manual as I seem to remember the max speed towing a ranger is 55 MPH. This would certainly make me pause before choosing a Ranger as a toad.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Road master and blue ox both make a baseplate

pacificnw
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.etrailer.com/question-352945.html

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone even built a baseplate for the vehicle?
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado