cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4 down towing 76 bronco

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Planning on towing my 76 Bronco behind my 99 F550 with cab over.
I have found many Blue Ox systems on craigslist but no baseplate for the 76 Bronco.
Blue Ox does not list one either.

I may be looking at a custom Fab. If so I will need to find a shop.

Looking for suggestions.
Help
14 REPLIES 14

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike mck wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
Find a 4x4 shop in your area that has jacked up monster rigs in the parking lot and talk to them. Hitch and RV places don't have the experienced people there to get things done, they are just part installers. Off road motor heads can weld and fabricate anything and built to withstand. I had plates welded by our race car builder and mounted to my aftermarket bumper on my Wrangler. Much better than a baseplate welded in China.

Great minds think Alike.;) I'm headed over to Driven 4x4 in Phoenix tomorrow. They specialize in early Broncos.

Excellent. Lets see some pics when you are all set up. Great vehicle you have there.....

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Find a 4x4 shop in your area that has jacked up monster rigs in the parking lot and talk to them. Hitch and RV places don't have the experienced people there to get things done, they are just part installers. Off road motor heads can weld and fabricate anything and built to withstand. I had plates welded by our race car builder and mounted to my aftermarket bumper on my Wrangler. Much better than a baseplate welded in China.

Great minds think Alike.;) I'm headed over to Driven 4x4 in Phoenix tomorrow. They specialize in early Broncos.

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
Itchey Feet wrote:
I tow a 74 Bronco, Tow bar from NAPA, I do have a 3 on the tree, so I just through things in neutral and away we go. PM me if you like

As a side note, I put an 18" extension on the truck so it would clear the back of the camper. Tried towing it W/ another vehicle WO/ extension and it did not track very well as it wanted to pull the front end of the Bronco on corners. Picture of setup in (my profile)
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be waiting. I had a 66 years ago. There is a fellow in the town where I live that has 5 or 6 at his house along with sheds and shelters full of parts. He has another 25 or so stored elsewhere.

Of those he may drive 3. He wouldn't even sell me a rough one because he can make more off the parts. I have settled for a 79.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Chris
It's too cold in BC now. Maybe this summer. :{)

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
mike mck wrote:
Planning on towing my 76 Bronco behind my 99 F550 with cab over.
I have found many Blue Ox systems on craigslist but no baseplate for the 76 Bronco.
Blue Ox does not list one either.

I may be looking at a custom Fab. If so I will need to find a shop.

Looking for suggestions.
Help

No suggestions from me but when you get it all set up I will send you my address so you can deliver it.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
JESTER7406 wrote:
Oringinal bumper or aftermarket? Blue Ox makes a universal base plate. They come with steel backing plates but I have always welded them onto my Jeep bumpers.

Custom fab bumper.

Mod Edit: Adjusted photo to 800x

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Itchey Feet wrote:
I tow a 74 Bronco, Tow bar from NAPA, I do have a 3 on the tree, so I just through things in neutral and away we go. PM me if you like

Mines a C4 but twin stick transfer case. Both axles in neutral should work fine.
Thanks for the tip on NAPA.

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
a 76 does not have airbags and does have good bumper hookups. If you go to a shop I would suggest they fab a setup like on a old jeep. Get a to bar from wally world or harbor freight like used on vehicles of that era, you dont really need the new fancy types unless you really have to have one. Even then you can just have the mounts for the cross bar fabbed and added to the bumper portion for the hook up.

When I looked at a shop to ab a tow setup for me even hitch places they really did not want to due to liability if something went wrong. I guess they are just being realistic? Anyhow saw some tow hitches on craigs list for tucson area less than $100

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1952 CJ2A Jeep that I needed to put a tow bar on. I went to a welder I knew and he constructed not only a system to hook a tow bar to the Jeep, he even made the tow bar. Find a good welding shop take what you have to them and they should be able to fix you right up.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
JESTER7406 wrote:
Oringinal bumper or aftermarket? Blue Ox makes a universal base plate. They come with steel backing plates but I have always welded them onto my Jeep bumpers.

Yes, fab something up.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500
29' Trail Sport
1 Worthless Choco-dog and WAAY worthless Puggle