cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5 Hurt in Truck/Travel Trailer Accident

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
Story here, no reason given other than the driver lost control and veered off the roadway.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS
21 REPLIES 21

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
rockhillmanor wrote:
bid_time wrote:
That must be why you see all the 18 wheelers flying off the highway all over the place.
Not even close as a comparison to a pick up truck TV!
Why not? If it's all about length it fits perfectly. Unless it has nothing to do with length.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
That must be why you see all the 18 wheelers flying off the highway all over the place.
Not even close as a comparison to a pick up truck TV!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
caberto wrote:
Wow... how did this become a TT/5er slam thread? So I guess this means we should also get the cars, trucks, SUVs and vans off the road as well? They get into accidents too, don't you know... Length of the trailer is of little concern, if you have the right tow vehicle and equipment - and drive carefully, but accidents can still happen, just like in a car, SUV or van, when people don't pay attention to what's going on around them, and in towing cases, pay attention to the environment variables and make necessary driving adjustments, or stop until conditions improve.

Having the right vehicle combination and careful driving go a long way to help prevent accidents. I've seen some people (not many) driving a large truck/trailer combination like they were in a hurry on their way to work, with no regard to speed, space cushion, handling of the rig, etc.

Again, I don't know what happened in this case, it's a terrible accident and I just hope they all fully and quickly heal.

X2 I've been driving for 40 yrs. not 1 wreck. Slow the boat folks:S
CanAmKid

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... how did this become a TT/5er slam thread? So I guess this means we should also get the cars, trucks, SUVs and vans off the road as well? They get into accidents too, don't you know... Length of the trailer is of little concern, if you have the right tow vehicle and equipment - and drive carefully, but accidents can still happen, just like in a car, SUV or van, when people don't pay attention to what's going on around them, and in towing cases, pay attention to the environment variables and make necessary driving adjustments, or stop until conditions improve.

Having the right vehicle combination and careful driving go a long way to help prevent accidents. I've seen some people (not many) driving a large truck/trailer combination like they were in a hurry on their way to work, with no regard to speed, space cushion, handling of the rig, etc.

Again, I don't know what happened in this case, it's a terrible accident and I just hope they all fully and quickly heal.
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
"All you have to do is just look at them going down the road from the side and the percentage of the length of the TV versus the length of the FW."

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
Home Skillet wrote:
Every time I see a 5th wheel. I wonder to myself , why do they have to be 18 feet tall?.
They are a sail going down the freeway.

I'll put my flame suit on.
FW's are getting bigger and bigger, longer and longer and taller and taller. But the trucks that tow them have stayed the same sans the choice of maybe a bigger engine. Most of my RV friends go bigger and keep the same truck.

All you have to do is just look at them going down the road from the side and the percentage of the length of the TV versus the length of the FW.

Yes they 'tow' just fine on the flat with O possibilities of any variance in wind, road conditions or the idiot that passes to close in front of you and next thing you know the rig is spinning for it's dear life. Because no matter how BIG the engine is or what gear ratio you have NONE of that is going to help you get the truck and trailer out of a jacknife and out of an uncontrolled crash.

IMHO most get a false sense of security because it's a 'fifth wheel'. I hauled horses for years with 5'ers and goose neck trailers and they can come around and slap you in the face in a heartbeat if you have to make a quick ER correction on the road. Their main function is to be able to turn and park them easier like a semi not to be safer to tow.

Pulling a 5er in the wind is far safer than a TT.

#1. The 5er foot for foot is heaver than a TT. I see ads for 33' TT that weigh about 6,000#, my 33' 5er weighs 9,500# DRY, currently it runs 11,000#.

#2 inherent stability! The 5er with the with the pivot point over or slightly forward of the rear axle, is far more stable than a TT with the pivot point 3' to 4' aft of the axle.

#3 Size and weight of TV. Almost all 5ers require at least a 250/2500 to handle the payload, heaver TV heaver trailer more stable.

Not saying that it can't happen,earlier picture proves that! Just that it is less likely to happen, with a 5er and a 250/2500 or 350/3500.

There are many 150/1500's out there towing 33' TT where the most likely case is the tail is wagging the dog!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Home Skillet wrote:
Every time I see a 5th wheel. I wonder to myself , why do they have to be 18 feet tall?.
They are a sail going down the freeway.

I'll put my flame suit on.
FW's are getting bigger and bigger, longer and longer and taller and taller. But the trucks that tow them have stayed the same sans the choice of maybe a bigger engine. Most of my RV friends go bigger and keep the same truck.

All you have to do is just look at them going down the road from the side and the percentage of the length of the TV versus the length of the FW.

Yes they 'tow' just fine on the flat with O possibilities of any variance in wind, road conditions or the idiot that passes to close in front of you and next thing you know the rig is spinning for it's dear life. Because no matter how BIG the engine is or what gear ratio you have NONE of that is going to help you get the truck and trailer out of a jacknife and out of an uncontrolled crash.

IMHO most get a false sense of security because it's a 'fifth wheel'. I hauled horses for years with 5'ers and goose neck trailers and they can come around and slap you in the face in a heartbeat if you have to make a quick ER correction on the road. Their main function is to be able to turn and park them easier like a semi not to be safer to tow.

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know you could legally ride inside a TT while under way either. Good grief!! As free-wheeling a fellow as I am, even I would never allow my family to ride back there while on the road!!!!

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Typical when towing a TT with a TV that cant control the trailer.
HR

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
KFS wrote:
Seriously? It's legal to ride in a TT being towed?

That's crazy talk. I had no idea. Would never.

Hard though it may be to believe, it is legal in some States link- perhaps those that consider themselves to be overpopulated? :@
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

KFS
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously? It's legal to ride in a TT being towed?

That's crazy talk. I had no idea. Would never.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Sure makes you wonder why it's legal in some States for people to ride in trailers/fifth wheels! And don't get me started about putting people in the "living area" of a motorhome while it's going down the road.

What's good enough to keep the weather out at the campground ain't that safe on the road...
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
A few thoughts. Have you ever seen an RV made? Some use wood, others aluminum in there construction. Most if not all RV MFG, try to construct a light weight unit,that allows smaller vehicles to tow those large TT or Fivers. Thus when in an accident, these units can literally explode, or self destruct upon contact with another vehicle or the ground. Add in the fact that they were probably going 50 or 60 MPH, that in itself does not help matters. No RV MFG has to pass a crash test as todays automobiles do, thus these units are to there best estimate, safe. This is another reason not to ride in an TT or Fiver when it is on the road.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Seeing how RV's just explode into nothing is always hard to look at. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Never mind.
It wasn't a 'big rig' or 'tow truck' as reported in 2 different reports it was a dang dually truck since when does that become a big rig or tow truck?.:R

Looks like he's holding his dog that survived too. Glad everyone got alive in this crash and if they had the dog in the TV it should be an eye opener for those that put their pets in the TT when traveling.