cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 AMP Tents

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Took a stroll around my loop in a state park campground and observed some strange behaviour. The loop is less than 30% full with a mix of tent sites, 30 AMP and a much smaller selection of 50 AMP sites. 100% of the 50 AMP contained tents. Iโ€™ll walk the other loop this weekend to see what happens when the campground is booked nearly solid.
79 REPLIES 79

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:

Although at least a big MH DOES have some sort of insulation AND it does have closable glass windows so it DOES attempt to contain much more A/C cooling than a tent..

Tents are not known for being all that air tight (one could even say barely water tight) and have zero insulation value.

I would give MH or hard sided trailers a big bump up in efficiency over air conditioning a tent.

Besides, if you don't like the heat and are planning to use a tent, perhaps you would reconsider tenting at that time until you have more moderate camping weather? I would if all I had was a tent and it was extremely hot.

Except the guy in the MH is cooling 5 times the area compared to the tenter, so net, the tenter is using less power.

Do you hold the RV'er to the same standard, that they should only camp when they don't need the air/con? Why shouldn't a tenter take an air/con unit with them?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife's health demands she have access to dryer air than we often have in this area. Before we got our camper, I would set a window unit on a milk crate so it could blow thru a window screen. I used a tarp as a boot to keep most of the air from escaping. Quilt between tent and rain fly helps in heat or cold.
Last time I pulled into a state park for overnight in the tent I started to unload gear on a electric site, then thought "What am I going to plug in?" Moved to another site, used my inverter and starting battery to grind the coffee.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Took a stroll around my loop in a state park campground and observed some strange behaviour. The loop is less than 30% full with a mix of tent sites, 30 AMP and a much smaller selection of 50 AMP sites. 100% of the 50 AMP contained tents. Iโ€™ll walk the other loop this weekend to see what happens when the campground is booked nearly solid.
So there are no rules of distribution based upon available electricity?
All are same price?

Either way I don't see why it matters. Of course you could post the park name and location so we could read the rules.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
We've seen the same things. They get away with because the Camp Hoasts let them,..usually,until someone says something. They like the larger spaces necessary for Big RVs...and then there is the nut factor. Soem do it op purpose because they resent and or don't want RVs near them, in their camp ground etc..and ocuppying the Big RV space the RVs can't usually fit in the tent sites around them giving them lots of space.
So have you actually talked to these people and gotten all this information, or is this just your opinions and bias speaking out?

I've occasionally wondered why someone puts a tent where they do, but in all honesty, I don't really care. As long as it doesn't affect me I let them do as they please. Life's too short to fret about such things.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
There are numerous 30 AMP sites available, I just thought that it was a shame that others are denied the precious few 50 AMP sites that probably were reserved on the first day allowed. I need to brush up on the โ€œitโ€™s all about meโ€ thing.

You're saying because someone spent more money on their camping equipment they deserve a 50a site more than a tenter? Yes, that is the "all about me" mindset.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We've seen the same things. They get away with because the Camp Hoasts let them,..usually,until someone says something. They like the larger spaces necessary for Big RVs...and then there is the nut factor. Soem do it op purpose because they resent and or don't want RVs near them, in their camp ground etc..and ocuppying the Big RV space the RVs can't usually fit in the tent sites around them giving them lots of space.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

I don't sweat the "small stuff" like airconditioning a tent, but in reality it is the same thing as sitting on your open deck in full sun on a 90+ day and pointing a window A/C at you.

While you might think one has the "right" because ...........

The alternative is the site goes to a diesel pusher that will likely use 3 times the electricity and likely got 5mpg on the drive to the park.

It's not like RV's are super efficient to cool.

Although at least a big MH DOES have some sort of insulation AND it does have closable glass windows so it DOES attempt to contain much more A/C cooling than a tent..

Tents are not known for being all that air tight (one could even say barely water tight) and have zero insulation value.

I would give MH or hard sided trailers a big bump up in efficiency over air conditioning a tent.

Besides, if you don't like the heat and are planning to use a tent, perhaps you would reconsider tenting at that time until you have more moderate camping weather? I would if all I had was a tent and it was extremely hot.
I see your point, but most of those big motorhomes have 2 or 3 AC units, while the tent probably only has a little single unit. So all in all the motorhome probably uses a whole lot more electricity for its AC than the tent.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
:h :h

How does a tent use more electricity then my TT even if it did have AC in the tent?
If it's 90+ out my AC is running 24/7. :h
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

I don't sweat the "small stuff" like airconditioning a tent, but in reality it is the same thing as sitting on your open deck in full sun on a 90+ day and pointing a window A/C at you.

The alternative is the site goes to a diesel pusher that will likely use 3 times the electricity and likely got 5mpg on the drive to the park.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
blownstang01 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
blownstang01 wrote:
You'll most likely see more of the Tesla's and such using campgrounds to charge as the 50 amp is much quicker. I have read a few blogs that even suggest you pull your E/C into and empty site and hook up the charge cord and see if you can get done before anyone "notices". LOL, I thought that was called stealing ? Of course this all comes from the special group that believes the Lithium and Cobolt mining to make their batteries is saving the Earth.

Yah. I would say that is extremely uncommon. Campground owners are putting their campgrounds on plug share because it is a revenue stream. Other than camping overnight or some kind of charge emergency where there was an unplanned charge station outage I doubt many EV drivers would waste their time charging at a campground. Thatโ€™s taking a 20 minute job and turning it into a 12 hour job.

Just sayin.

I'm just repeating what I've read from more than one blog of actual users trying to travel with an EV. Outside of Urban area's, fast chargers aren't as common. Just Sayin

Possibly an old Blog??? Fast chargers are quite common. Level 2 chargers are even more common and faster than a 14-50 plug in a campground. Iโ€™m sure it still happens but generally speaking other than camping EV drivers would be looking at camp grounds as a very last resort. Now if you are pulling a little trailer or car camping itโ€™s a great place to get an overnight charge. As well there are optional beds for all models of Teslaโ€™s that set up in the back. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer. All Teslaโ€™s have โ€œcamp modeโ€ selectable on the display.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
There are numerous 30 AMP sites available, I just thought that it was a shame that others are denied the precious few 50 AMP sites that probably were reserved on the first day allowed. I need to brush up on the โ€œitโ€™s all about meโ€ thing.
Ah, so you did get to talk to the people and found out why they were in those spots? And it wasn't the hosts who put them there? They specifically asked for the 50 Amp spots? That does seem a bit odd.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
blownstang01 wrote:
You'll most likely see more of the Tesla's and such using campgrounds to charge as the 50 amp is much quicker. I have read a few blogs that even suggest you pull your E/C into and empty site and hook up the charge cord and see if you can get done before anyone "notices". LOL, I thought that was called stealing ? Of course this all comes from the special group that believes the Lithium and Cobolt mining to make their batteries is saving the Earth.

Yah. I would say that is extremely uncommon. Campground owners are putting their campgrounds on plug share because it is a revenue stream. Other than camping overnight or some kind of charge emergency where there was an unplanned charge station outage I doubt many EV drivers would waste their time charging at a campground. Thatโ€™s taking a 20 minute job and turning it into a 12 hour job.

Just sayin.

I'm just repeating what I've read from more than one blog of actual users trying to travel with an EV. Outside of Urban area's, fast chargers aren't as common. Just Sayin

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
blownstang01 wrote:

Just sayin.

blownstang01
Explorer
Explorer