cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel vs goose neck hitch

Henry
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in ideas on goose neck hitch reviews vs 5th wheels.
I know a few people who tow with the goose neck, mainly because they pull other trailers with their tow vehicle. Any input would be good helpful. One thing I've found out is the goose neck is rated almost double the towing weight of the 5th wheel.
Henry Holley
Snyder, Texas
2006 Chevy 3500, 6600 DuraMax
2004 Cardinal 33TS
10 REPLIES 10

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Henry wher do you get that a gooseneck is rated double the toving weight of a FW.
Frank.

Typically gooseneck hitches are rated for 25,000lbs with a 2 5/16" ball and 30,000lbs with a 3" ball. Most 5er hitches are in the 14K to 20K range. My guess is that's where Henry's numbers come from. Maybe slightly over-exagerated, but the general idea is relates to the higher rating.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Henry wher do you get that a gooseneck is rated double the toving weight of a FW.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Look into the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. IMHO it's the best solution to the problem if you are at all concerned about the stresses a gooseneck adapter puts on a weak 5th wheel frame.

If you never get the trailer hung up anywhere, a gooseneck adapter won't be a problem. But if you sink the trailer in the mud and need to really tug on it to get it out, that's where a gooseneck adapter might be a problem. The Andersen Ultimate eliminates this by putting the stress back up at the kingpin where it was designed to be while giving you the flexibility of the gooseneck hitch without having to lug around a 250lb fifth wheel.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know a couple of ranchers who put gooseneck adapters on their fifth wheel RV, because they were towing gooseneck trailers most of the time, the fivers occasionally. Neither experienced frame failures on their RV, but neither pulled their RVs very often, very fast, or very far.

If you need to have a gooseneck ball hitch to tow other trailers, a better solution for a fifth wheel RV is to install a fifth wheel hitch on the gooseneck ball. This is an inconvenience if you have to remove and replace it frequently because you are towing several different trailers day to day. Thus why some folks use the adapters (and why the same ranchers don't often bother with weight distribution for conventional hitches).
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom line, of course, is: It is your trailer, you can do what you want with it.
Personally, with my background as an A&P mechanic, and having worked with weight and balance, leverage, arms, and such, I would not use an adapter. Even though I don't remember the formulas at this late date, I do remember that moving the pivot point/making the arm a foot and a half longer is not a good idea! It WILL increase the stress where the hitchbox attaches to the frame by a noticeable amount!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Although your Cardinal is 'out of warranty' contact them and inquire

"Would the use of a gooseneck void my frame warranty"??

Answer YES
then question is why?

WHY.because pin box structure is NOT designed for the added leverage/stress a gooseneck can apply.

Look at the structural design differences between a gooseneck trailer and a 5th wheel pin box

One uses large beams/heavy supports/bracing-----other uses a wide spread frame with thin/light weight cross pieces and some web bracing.
One designed to carry/handle heavy/high stress loads----other designed to carry/handle much lighter loads spread out across the structure

Gooseneck...for gooseneck trailers

5th wheel hitch...for 5th wheel trailers

Right tool for the right job.

X2. If you search the forum, you'll find dozens - if not hundreds - of threads on this same topic. You'll find a few who say they've "done it for years without a problem." Then you'll find those with an engineering background or who have seen the failures resulting from the use of a gooseneck adapter who will tell you otherwise. There are several fifth wheel hitches which mount to the truck using the gooseneck ball in the bed (B&W Companion, Andersen Ultimate, etc.). These are still fifth wheel hitches and are not to be confused with gooseneck adapters. Search and read on...

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Moved from Forum Technical Support

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
As noted above, some manufacturers will void the warranty due to the different stresses a gooseneck adapter puts on the frame. Lippert does allow use of a Goosebox adapter, that has shock absorbers and air bag.

Having said that, there are a lot of people tow their 5ers using gooseneck adapters seeming with no problem. A matter of rolling the dice and taking your chances.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

I thought the same thing.

This is for technical support of the forum, you might get more answers in another forum or a mod could move it.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although your Cardinal is 'out of warranty' contact them and inquire

"Would the use of a gooseneck void my frame warranty"??

Answer YES
then question is why?

WHY.because pin box structure is NOT designed for the added leverage/stress a gooseneck can apply.

Look at the structural design differences between a gooseneck trailer and a 5th wheel pin box

One uses large beams/heavy supports/bracing-----other uses a wide spread frame with thin/light weight cross pieces and some web bracing.
One designed to carry/handle heavy/high stress loads----other designed to carry/handle much lighter loads spread out across the structure

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31