cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

85 octane regular gas mid west states?

Fishy_Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I will be driving car to Wyoming from Tennessee. Will I encounter 85 octane for regular gasoline? Hard to find 87 octane in Midwest?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
32 REPLIES 32

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that posting the exact recommendations would be good since it doesn't mention mountains, 92+, or "probably".

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't that basically what I said?

Lynnmor wrote:
Atlee wrote:
The owner's manual for my 2014 F150 Ecoboost engine says to use 87 octane or above at all time, including in the mountain areas that may have as low as 85 octane.

My owner's manual also says 87 octane is good for my Ecoboost, but further says that premium 92+ octane is probably best for the engine, when pulling a trailer, and especially when in the mountains.

It actually says:
3.5L V6 EcoBoost Engine
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as Regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.
Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
Again except for the Eco-boost engine. Ford says not to use E85 fuel in the Eco-boost.

tatest wrote:
You will not find the reduction of "regular" grade from 87 to 85 octane until you get to higher altitudes, approaching Front Range of the Rocky Mountains.

What you will find in the Midwest, particularly the Corn Belt, is wide availability of E-85 at reduced prices. If you are concerned about anti-knock properties and your vehicle is flex-fuel, you can get higher octane properties (typically low 100s) by going to E-85, at some cost in fuel consumption.
Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
is wide availability of E-85 at reduced prices.

by going to E-85, at some cost in fuel consumption.

Since most or all of the tax subsidies for ethanol have expired, the loss of fuel mileage MORE than off-sets the slightly reduced price.

I think the cost savings lately has been about 30 cents or less.
At $2.40 a gallon, that's about 12%.
The loss of fuel mileage is more than that.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will not find the reduction of "regular" grade from 87 to 85 octane until you get to higher altitudes, approaching Front Range of the Rocky Mountains.

What you will find in the Midwest, particularly the Corn Belt, is wide availability of E-85 at reduced prices. If you are concerned about anti-knock properties and your vehicle is flex-fuel, you can get higher octane properties (typically low 100s) by going to E-85, at some cost in fuel consumption.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Our generator will not run on 85
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Fishy Old Man wrote:
I will be driving car to Wyoming from Tennessee. Will I encounter 85 octane for regular gasoline? Hard to find 87 octane in Midwest?

Don't get out much?
These here gas stations have 3 kinds of octane now. Like when ya used to say filler up with regular or Ethel except add one more.

By golly when it comes to condescending remarks, you take no prisoners, you just shoot them all!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fishy Old Man wrote:

Don't get out much?
These here gas stations have 3 kinds of octane now. Like when ya used to say filler up with regular or Ethel except add one more.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
The owner's manual for my 2014 F150 Ecoboost engine says to use 87 octane or above at all time, including in the mountain areas that may have as low as 85 octane.

My owner's manual also says 87 octane is good for my Ecoboost, but further says that premium 92+ octane is probably best for the engine, when pulling a trailer, and especially when in the mountains.

It actually says:
3.5L V6 EcoBoost Engine
Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as Regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.
Premium fuel will provide improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such as trailer tow.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If you get the chance run a tank of 92 octane without ethanol. You will be amazed at how much better the mileage and power is because you have no ethanol in it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the Black Hills area of South Dakota, most gas stations have 85, 87, and 91 octane fuel. Their REGULAR grade 85 octane fuel does NOT contain ethanol so it costs more :? then their PLUS grade 87 octane fuel which contains 10% ethanol. The PREMIUM grade 91 octane fuel also contains 10% ethanol.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer

Erroll, Mary
Equal-i-zer Hitch

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Probably fine with 85... however I use the next higher grade as my owner's manual says 87 minimum.
Yep, as do I.

In our travels, I see a lot of 85 octane gas at the pumps but have never seen where a higher octane wasn't also available. I never use gas with less octane than the owner's manual calls out.

Fishy_Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Fishy