cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

a paradox

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/second-consecutive-quarter-what-americans-spent-most-money
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens
12 REPLIES 12

jseyfert3
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
What I want to know is where can you buy bread for $1? (Fresh that is)

Aldi. Actually it's $0.85 a loaf here.
Formerly a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306, burned in a barn fire. Looking at replacements.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, its Zerohedge. Question every single sentence on that site.

stevennlv
Explorer
Explorer
This is just me spitballing, but since RV manufacturers are getting hit yet RVs are still selling sounds to me like everybody's buying used.

And the trend does not surprise me one bit. There are a lot of us that have never fully recovered from the great recession. Me being one of them, and that had a lot to do with me becoming a full timer because it's so much cheaper to live this way if you do it right.

I am seeing more and more full timer nuclear families with 2.5 kids and a dog in units they just purchased that are 3 or 5 years old.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It's worth noting that the graphs are not spending per category, but spending increase per category. "Recreational vehicles and goods" increased the most, at least according to their data; and what all that includes is a bit hard to peg down.

It's almost certain that the total spending on, say, housing or automobiles is much higher than on RVs; that spending was just more stable at its higher level.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I want to know is where can you buy bread for $1? (Fresh that is)
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
No, no, no. Paradox are two places to get on the bass boat!
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pair a Docs

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a real paradox for you.. (pair of ducks?)

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksg5000 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. While RV's are popular in the PNW the number of people who own them are a small fraction of the overall population. Suspect the same applies to the rest of the country.
I would not have guessed that Americans across the board spend more on RV's than housing and cars. As long as consumer confidence is high and people are spending money for discretionary items like rv's the economy should do well, if a trade deal is reached with China it should do better. His charts show a slow down from 2017 to 2019 which is not a good sign. If one in 10 American households buy an RV worth $100k on average maybe then the chart would make more sense.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. While RV's are popular in the PNW the number of people who own them are a small fraction of the overall population. Suspect the same applies to the rest of the country.

That's because RV are a high ticket price item.

For sales, based on dollar value only, one person purchasing a $35,000 travel trailer would take 35,000 people buying a loaf of bread at $1.00 a loaf.

It doesn't take very many RV's sold to far surpass beyond anyone's imagination the dollar for dollar spent on bread, new shoes, or a new toaster, combined all together.

How much of that RV purchasing money is done with credit also. It's not like those RV's are being purchased with readily cash on hand and paid in full at the time of purchase. Take every away ever RV purchased on credit, and the numbers would be completely, significantly reversed. RV's would probably be at the bottom.

Numbers can be manipulated to mean anything. And no... you can't blame that on the President. You blame it on whoever is skewing the number to meet their objective. We all do it, even with our own personal finances. Remove credit cards out of the mix, and how much spending do we REALLY do! We, as a nation from the top all the way down to the bottom, are great at purchasing pretty much everything on money we don't actually have.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
dalej wrote:
https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/second-consecutive-quarter-what-americans-spent-most-money

Made it a clicky
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB