cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AAA and tow vehicle and trailer

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
I'll call tomorrow, but maybe you already know the answer to this.
When I tow my boat or trailer, what happens if the tow vehicle needs to be towed or the boat or trailer needs to be towed?
22 REPLIES 22

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
One other issue with tow coverage, is that they don't cover taking your family anywhere. I've used GS towing once, and the tow truck had one empty seat and it was up to me to find transportation for the other 4 people. I had not thought of that before it happened. It was not a big issue where it happened to me, but if you were on US-2 in the middle of Montana, not sure what would happen. Not a lot of taxi's there. LOL This would be a challenge regardless of if you had coverage or not.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
corvettekent wrote:
You would be better off to put $120 cash in the glove box once a year. Then some time in the next ten years if you need a tow just pay cash.

^This!!
Unless you're on the bubble of relaiblity, i.e. Old not so great TV and trailer.
I'll admit, I carried AAA as a kid when all I could afford was old clunkers. That cost per year was recouped many times over when those piles of shizz broke down! Especially when I was snowplow ing. I'd have em tow it home every time, not to a shop, so I could patch it back up and get back out there.
A buddy does the same with his RV. He rocks a craappy old Cousin Eddy rv, has the 200 mi radius coverage and confiNes his travels to that area lol. Works for him. Said he's re couped the cost getting towed home several times. Strange means to an end though. Since he could afford to have one that wasn't such a pos!

Some people are more comfortable w the service though. If yur not too handy with a wrench, a lot of minor issues that could be fixed roadside may be necessary for some to get towed. Plus jump start, flat change, locked keys in, out of gas. All preventable or fairly easy remedy but may be out of some peoples capability or desire to take care of themselves.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Community Alumni
Not applicable
BarneyS wrote:
He may be entitled to use it anywhere in the country but if he breaks down in a county or state that does not provide AAA RV towing, then all the entitlements in the world will not do him any good. From what I understand AAA does not provide it in many parts of the country.
Barney

AAA has a pretty vast network of contractors. There aren't very many parts of the country where there are absolutely no contractors available to dispatch. It might take longer to get someone there, but they can usually get someone there nevertheless.

For areas where AAA can't get to you, you're still entitled to use your benefit. In those cases you arrange for your own tow. AAA then reimburses you up to your maximum benefit, at the AAA contractor rate. So chances are you'd still be $0 out of pocket at the end of the day. The only caveat is that you have to call AAA first before arranging your own tow.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Best thing is have a good credit card available, so you can call a local wrecker service, if need be. Your auto insurance policy, if you have comprehensive with towing, may reimburse for all or part of the tow.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
He may be entitled to use it anywhere in the country but if he breaks down in a county or state that does not provide AAA RV towing, then all the entitlements in the world will not do him any good. From what I understand AAA does not provide it in many parts of the country.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm not sure if you originally purchased your coverage in California, but from looking at the benefits it looks like RV towing up to 200 miles is provided in the Premier tier. As long as you've paid for RV coverage, you're entitled to use it no matter where you are in the country.

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
You'd better call AAA to find out if you're really covered. I paid extra for their higher tier of coverage, then 2 yrs later I found out they really didn't cover RV towing. Luckily I didn't need it but it made me drop them fast. They don't offer anything I can't get elsewhere for free, including maps and DMV stuff. I have Good Sam now which covers all my vehicles, but may switch to Coachnet next renewal, although I have not had any issues with them. Just too much mail all the time!
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

Community Alumni
Not applicable
AAA will also tow your trailer to a campground when you have the RV coverage. The one thing I didn't like about Good Sam was that they will only tow you to the nearest repair shop. So if you wanted to be towed to your preferred dealer, but there's a shop that's closer, then you'll be towed to the closer shop. AAA will tow you anywhere you want to go as long as it doesn't exceed your limits.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
In addition, what isn't mentioned some will not only tow your FW or TT to an RV park so you can get setup there, but also tow your TV to the repair shop. GS will do this.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
MNGeeks61 wrote:

I've still got AAA premier RV even though we stopped towing. It does cover my boat trailer and I believe an ATV on an trailer. I don't think it'd cover a car or utility trailer as you stated, but that's interesting to note.

The main reason we keep the premier is the 200 mile tow option. With that, I can be at my campground 2 hours away from Minneapolis and have the ability to have a vehicle towed to a garage in the Twin Cities.

This varies by state. In my state Premier RV only covers a travel trailer. It does not cover boat trailers or any other kind of trailer.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
kaz442 wrote:
Coach net is the only one I found that will tow a utility trailer such as a boat or car trailer. I tow and open flat deck trailer with a race car and that's who I use. It's their premium package. $149/yr worth it for piece of mind.

JKaz

I've still got AAA premier RV even though we stopped towing. It does cover my boat trailer and I believe an ATV on an trailer. I don't think it'd cover a car or utility trailer as you stated, but that's interesting to note.

The main reason we keep the premier is the 200 mile tow option. With that, I can be at my campground 2 hours away from Minneapolis and have the ability to have a vehicle towed to a garage in the Twin Cities.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
When my truck burned down on the highway while towing a boat, the wrecker towed the truck by it's front wheels, with the boat hitched to the truck. I raised my adjustable hitch ball height and the driver adjusted his wheel lift height so the boat trailer was level. There were no problems towing the boat.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
I would not want to be towed with the trailer or 5th wheel attached. Clearance issues from having the truck at an extreme angle could dig the hitch into the ground or cause the 5er to hit the bed sides.

kaz442
Explorer
Explorer
Coach net is the only one I found that will tow a utility trailer such as a boat or car trailer. I tow and open flat deck trailer with a race car and that's who I use. It's their premium package. $149/yr worth it for piece of mind.

JKaz
1989 26' Jayco class C E350 460cu