cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accessible Camgrounds and Trails

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
Could we start a list of Accessible Campgrounds and Trails - and other related facilities that we find on our route?

Thanks to all who contribute.
2017 Coachmen Galleria
9 REPLIES 9

dedmiston
Seattle Steve wrote:
Saguaro National Park East (Tucson): there is a nice paved loop trail called the Desert Ecology Trail about 2 miles into the driving loop. There are several handicap parking spaces, and the trail is about 1/4 mile, very level with many informational signs along the way. I've taken my wife on that several times in her wheelchair. Rolling walker would also have no problem.

It's stunningly beautiful there. We loved it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
It's been years since we visited the Devil's Tower in northeast Wyoming, but I remember thinking at the time that the walk around the monument was probably the easiest walk I've ever seen, because it's basically level the whole way around the mountain feature.

I don't know that I'd call it "accessible", because I don't recall if it was even paved the entire way, but it certainly was a gradual walk. It would be worth researching it further if you're interested.

Also, south of there is Mt. Rushmore, which is as accessible as any urban shopping mall.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Saguaro National Park East (Tucson): there is a nice paved loop trail called the Desert Ecology Trail about 2 miles into the driving loop. There are several handicap parking spaces, and the trail is about 1/4 mile, very level with many informational signs along the way. I've taken my wife on that several times in her wheelchair. Rolling walker would also have no problem.

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
I apologize for the repeated bad behavior of one member in this thread. I've deleted his troll posts and he gave me a vague assurance that he won't return.

I hope your idea works and people contribute their experiences here.

Maybe you could start it off with some examples of your own?

I appreciate your efforts. I did not see the posts. Thanks.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
Alaska, near Anchroage: Potter Marsh has a lovely trail which could be done with wheelchair. Very scenic, restrooms in summer are almost always meticulously clean. They have a host.

Near to there, heading to Portgage Glacier/Whittier (will have to look up the road name) is Williwaw Campground is a lovely trail which is accessible.

The campground is one of the nicest here. Paved roads, some pull throughs, reservations needed.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60880-d2266784-Reviews-Willawaw_Nature_Trail-Anchorag...
2017 Coachmen Galleria

fullmoonoversal
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
fullmoonoversalem wrote:
Could we start a list of Accessible Campgrounds and Trails - and other related facilities that we find on our route?

I'm completely out of my element here, except that I think I know a good idea when I see one. I'm not active in this particular forum at all, other than to keep an eye on the posts and make sure that people aren't mean and don't use dirty words, etc.

I like this idea. If it gets much momentum, I'll turn it into a "sticky" post at the top of the page.

And apologies to the two responses that I already deleted. They were both unhelpful and served to stifle future responses.

Thanks. My DH has MS and I have arthritis. We like to camp and hike where the facilities meet our needs. I am trying to get a list of accessible areas for Alaska and will post as I get them.
2017 Coachmen Galleria

dedmiston
I apologize for the repeated bad behavior of one member in this thread. I've deleted his troll posts and he gave me a vague assurance that he won't return.

I hope your idea works and people contribute their experiences here.

Maybe you could start it off with some examples of your own?

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
fullmoonoversalem wrote:

I'm completely out of my element here, except that I think I know a good idea when I see one. I'm not active in this particular forum at all, other than to keep an eye on the posts and make sure that people aren't mean and don't use dirty words, etc.

I like this idea. If it gets much momentum, I'll turn it into a "sticky" post at the top of the page.

And apologies to the two responses that I already deleted. They were both unhelpful and served to stifle future responses.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230