cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice o WDH after CAT scale

slashnburn
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got our new TT loaded and went on our first little trip, with a stop by the weigh station. As such, we had pretty much everything fully loaded to where we would need it in both vehicles. Only exception is our 105 pound dog/crate that won't always be with us.

I'm towing an Apex 288BHS(GVWR 7000#) with an F150 with a payload capacity of 1596# and GVWR of 7000#. My weights were:

TV only
Front: 3400
Rear: 2800
Trailer: 0
Combined: 6200

TV/TT without tension
Front: 3060
Rear: 4040
Trailer: 5380
Combined: 12480

TV/TT with tension
Front: 3300
Rear: 3680
Trailer: 5500

I had the hitch installed by dealer, but have given it the once over. Anyway, I am wondering if I should add another washer to try to get me more wiggle room in payload capacity. With a hitch weight right now of 880 and a trailer weight of 6280, I am at over 14% hitch weight, so I have the room.

Honestly, I'd rather not have to make adjustments if the consensus is that the set-up seems adequate.
7 REPLIES 7

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
campigloo wrote:
If youโ€™re getting porpoising try uprgrading your shocks. I added stableloads to my spring pack and Bilstein shocks. The combo eliminated almost all of that. I only get it now on the most severe roads. There is a bridge near us that before I couldnโ€™t go more than 45. I now run it at 60 no problem.

Agree, a suspension improvement would help for porpoising, and keeping rear tires at max sidewall pressure when towing.

Jerry

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
If youโ€™re getting porpoising try uprgrading your shocks. I added stableloads to my spring pack and Bilstein shocks. The combo eliminated almost all of that. I only get it now on the most severe roads. There is a bridge near us that before I couldnโ€™t go more than 45. I now run it at 60 no problem.

slashnburn
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
IMO, seems about right. How does it tow? If it handles good, under most conditions, no real need to change.

Jerry

It tows pretty well. A little bit of porpoising, but once it was full it was no where near as bad as when we brought it home.

slashnburn
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:
slashnburn wrote:
Finally got our new TT loaded and went on our first little trip, with a stop by the weigh station. As such, we had pretty much everything fully loaded to where we would need it in both vehicles. Only exception is our 105 pound dog/crate that won't always be with us.

I'm towing an Apex 288BHS(GVWR 7000#) with an F150 with a payload capacity of 1596# and GVWR of 7000#. My weights were:

TV only

TV/TT without tension

TV/TT with tension

I had the hitch installed by dealer, but have given it the once over. Anyway, I am wondering if I should add another washer to try to get me more wiggle room in payload capacity. With a hitch weight right now of 880 and a trailer weight of 6280, I am at over 14% hitch weight, so I have the room.

Honestly, I'd rather not have to make adjustments if the consensus is that the set-up seems adequate.

Even if you add a washer you will not get any margin on payload. WDH does not affect the tongue weight. It will be what it will be. All another washer will do is put more weight back to your front axle. I like to set mine so unloaded the front axle comes back so in your case add another washer to bring back 100 lbs or so. Check your owners manual as I believe Ford does not want you to put it all back so it seems you are all set to go.

Rob

Wouldn't it also shift some back to the trailer? Yes, Ford doesn't want it all back. As stated in a later reply. I read that in the manual the other day.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
CaLBaR wrote:
slashnburn wrote:

TV only

TV/TT without tension

TV/TT with tension

Even if you add a washer you will not get any margin on payload. WDH does not affect the tongue weight. It will be what it will be. All another washer will do is put more weight back to your front axle. I like to set mine so unloaded the front axle comes back so in your case add another washer to bring back 100 lbs or so. Check your owners manual as I believe Ford does not want you to put it all back so it seems you are all set to go.

Rob

X2 Ford wants the front end light so it will understeer if you hit an exit ramp to fast. Your setup looks good if it tows good for you
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
slashnburn wrote:

TV only

TV/TT without tension

TV/TT with tension

Rob
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IMO, seems about right. How does it tow? If it handles good, under most conditions, no real need to change.

Jerry