cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on aging storage door handles

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
The black handles on our fifth wheel outside storage doors (slam latch) are getting really dull and brittle-looking from the sun over the years. I think they are OK, but would like to put "something" on them to protect from UV. I'm thinking 303 Protectant would make them turn white and streaky. Any advice on what to use? THX
4 REPLIES 4

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
A coat of primer, a coat of paint and then clear coat made all of my plastic look terrific And it last several years Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
If appearance is your only concern? Wipe them with black shoe polish.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I agree with above. I did however, buy two new handle latch assemblies several years ago, due to one not releasing easily. I was planning to also replace the one on the sun side (parked at home), due to fading. I put 303 on it instead, which made it look new, not white. I reapply 303 to decals a few times a year on sun side, and also to the slam latch handle assembly. Handle still looks like new, the decals not so much. I still carry the extra, new latch assembly, in case of need.

Jerry

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like it is time for new handles/latches. The time to protect them would have been before the sun got to them. If it is any consolation, 303 gradually washes away and needs to be reapplied every few months. That is more maintenance than most of us will do or even remember.