Explorer
What are their laws on taking alcohol into Canada
31 REPLIES 31

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
From the Gov't website...

Alcoholic beverages

Alcoholic beverages are products that exceed 0.5% alcohol by volume. Certain alcoholic and wine products that do not exceed 0.5% by volume are not considered alcoholic beverages.

If you have been away from Canada for 48 hours or more, you are allowed to import one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:
Product Metric Imperial Estimates
Wine Up to1.5 litres of wine Up to 53 fluid ounces Two 750 ml bottles of wine
Alcoholic beverages Up to 1.14 litres Up to 40 fluid ounces One large standard bottle of liquor
Beer or ale Up to 8.5 litres Up to 287 fluid ounces Approximately 24 cans or bottles (355 ml each) of beer or ale.

You must meet the minimum age of the province or territory where you enter Canada. Minimum ages are established by provincial or territorial authorities: 18 years for Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec and 19 years for the remaining provinces and territories.

The CBSA classifies "cooler" products according to the alcoholic beverage they contain. For example, beer coolers are considered to be beer and wine coolers are considered to be wine.

The quantities of alcoholic beverages you can import must be within the limit set by provincial and territorial liquor control authorities that apply where you will enter Canada. If the amount of alcohol you want to import exceeds your personal exemption, you will be required to pay the duty and taxes as well as any provincial or territorial levies that apply. Contact the appropriate provincial or territorial liquor control authority for more information before you return to Canada.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Espee
Explorer
Explorer
Thamks for the link Tim.
That's what I neeeded.
...never had to actually calculate daily alcohol consumption for a camping trip before.
2007 Ram 2500, 4X4, 6.7
06' Cougar 285EFS

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
That's nothing - the cost of BEER is outrageous here when compared to buying it in the US, including Canadian beer brewed here and exported to the US. :M

drsteve wrote:
Today here in Michigan, I purchased a 20 pack of Labatts Blue (bottles) for $14.99 US or $20.21 CDN at today's exchange rate.

$34 Cdn for a two-four of Blue here at The Beer Store. :M

Ouch! That's brutal. I thought Canada was moving away from the brewer's cartel that is the Beer Store?

Varies from province to province. Many of the pubs have off sales here in BC. Lots of private beer and wine stores as well. Prices vary but touristy places can cost north of 36 bucks for a 24 of Molson's beer. (about 27 bucks US plus or minus) We brew our own wine. Not bad, and works good as paint remover.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
That's nothing - the cost of BEER is outrageous here when compared to buying it in the US, including Canadian beer brewed here and exported to the US. :M

drsteve wrote:
Today here in Michigan, I purchased a 20 pack of Labatts Blue (bottles) for $14.99 US or $20.21 CDN at today's exchange rate.

Ouch! That's brutal. I thought Canada was moving away from the brewer's cartel that is the Beer Store?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Generally people have no problem keeping foreign currency separate in their minds when it has a different name like the pound or the Euro or peso or dinar or whatever. But it gets confusing when two countries have the same name for their currency...the DOLLAR...and even worse when the countries are co-located on the same continent.

DrewE wrote:
We can at least be glad when talking about gas prices that we don't also have to keep two different gallon sizes in mind!

Surprisingly some here in Canada, unbelievably even some dealers, do still refer to Imperial gallons instead of US gallons. :S That's why whenever I'm talking fuel mileage I make clear I'm talking about miles per US gallon. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:

Generally people have no problem keeping foreign currency separate in their minds when it has a different name like the pound or the Euro or peso or dinar or whatever. But it gets confusing when two countries have the same name for their currency...the DOLLAR...and even worse when the countries are co-located on the same continent.

We can at least be glad when talking about gas prices that we don't also have to keep two different gallon sizes in mind!

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

drsteve wrote:

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:

1 US Gal = 3.7854 Litres. Gas prices vary daily here in Canada, from one region to another, from one gas chain to another, just as they do in the US, but comparing the US average national cost ($2.37 US yesterday) confirms what has always been true for years - gas here in Canada, factoring in exchange rage, averages ~ 33% more. :M

I wouldn't want to be a smoker in Canada. I think its something like 11 or 12 bucks a pack. eek. We have a couple of smokers at work. Between smoking and fuel he pays around 550 bucks a month. I don't smoke and we only drive electric cars so that becomes fun money. (Power is all hydro in our province and its cheap)
Thats like 7000 bucks a year. woo hoo
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

1 US Gal = 3.7854 Litres. Gas prices vary daily here in Canada, from one region to another, from one gas chain to another, just as they do in the US, but comparing the US average national cost ($2.37 US yesterday) confirms what has always been true for years - gas here in Canada, factoring in exchange rage, averages ~ 33% more. :M

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
qtla9111 wrote:
And be prepared to pay through the nose. In 2014, gas was 5.75 a gallon in Langley, BC. The cheapest vodka was $25. We were almost dry on both accounts.

Gas is no where near 5.75 per US gallon. Right now gas is 1.11 Canadian per litre in my hometown in BC. That works out to 3.11 US dollars per US gallon. I know Vancouver area is a little more but no where near 5.75. Probably 3.50 ish.

1 Liter = 1.05 US Quart. An equivalent US gallon is pretty close to 4 liters, would cost about $4.44 at $1.11/L.

Nope. A US gallon is 3.8 litres. That's is 4.21 Canadian or about 3.11 US dollars. You can't use American gallons and Canadian dollars. Makes no sense. If an American puts a US gallon in a tank it will cost him about 3.11 US dollars. On our trip back from the US this year we saw as low as 2.79 US to as high as 3.07 US. In Alberta it was about 94 cents Can per litre at Costco so around 2.67 US dollars for a US gallon.

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer

exchange rage

I think that sums it up nicely!
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Islandman wrote:
Espee - John & Angela used the current US/CA monetary exchange rate to arrive at the approximate cost in US dollars for gasoline in Langley, BC.

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Go here for those limits:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/atl-lat-eng.html

Tim
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't bring in more alcohol than you are allowed duty free, the taxes are huge and you will be far better off buying it in Canada even though it is so expensive.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS