cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

An American Dream goes up in smoke

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
Approximately three weeks ago a local RVer lost her husband. She decided to get away in the Motorhome that she and her husband enjoyed for a number of years together. Yesterday morning she left west bound on US 30 and made it to Mansfield (approx 35 miles) where she had engine trouble. The tech was called and it was determined she had gotten contaminated fuel.

She decided that the local (approx 2 miles south of her home) truck shop that her husband had used for the service work in the past would be the best place to get the service done. She called the local towing company (approx 4 miles west of her home) to get it towed back to Wooster.

While towing the motorhome back, the tow truck driver noticed smoke coming from the right side in his mirror and pulled over to see what was up. The inner duel had apparently gone flat and the tire went up in flames as soon as he stopped.

Right front, not much noticeable damage.

She said I could go inside to take pictures. She and her son spent all this morning attempting to salvage what they could and said they were done inside and just had the outside storage compartments to do.

Taken from the top of the entry stairs. I didn't want to get my riding jacket sooted.

Picture taken thru the right side wall of the rear bedroom. I asked if it would be ok to take a picture as it was too high to see in and she said, "sure, you can go inside as we are done in there and take any pictures you want." "We just got the outside compartments to unload."

The fire moved thru the axle area to the left side and into the engine compartment.

It goes to show one needs not go far from home for catastrophe to strike.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.
32 REPLIES 32

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Lots of assumptions here, but... I would assume that the weight on the rear wheels would actually be reduced when towing. Depending on where the tow point was attached (on the frame forward of the front axle?), the dead load would proportionally move forward towards the new tow point from the rear axle, thus marginally reducing the weight on the rear axle. Other stresses are probably involved while towing that are more complex than mere dead loads.

More than likely, the MH was lifted by the front tires.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I'm afraid that you missed the humor of trying to tow a MH up the stairs at 36 degrees?

Actually the lift forks move the CG even further forward towards the vertical point where the lift forks attach to the tow vehicle, and unload the rear wheels even more.

Lifting my MH 3 degrees places my front tires 12" off the road, and my rear overhang at 12" off the road, which seems reasonable to me.

Do the real numbers, keep your day job, and don't pinch your fingers.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
OK, Itโ€™s a slow day at the office, so hereโ€™s a bit of engineering. The left hand numbers are for towing at the front axle, and the right hand numbers are for towing at the frame 2โ€™-6โ€ forward of the front axle. I assumed Center of Gravity (CG) at 4โ€™-6โ€ above grade. And located the CG 1/3 of the distance from the rear axle to the front axle or forward tow point. As I saidโ€ฆ lotโ€™s of assumptions, and only static loads.

Sorry about the formatting

My MH has these approximate dimensions and weights:

Level Ground / Level Ground
Towing @ Front axle / Towing @ Front frame
24,000 lbs Total weight 24,000 lbs
16,000 lbs Rear axle 14,618 lbs
8,000 lbs Front axle / tow point 9,382 lbs
19โ€™-0โ€ Rear axle to tow point 21โ€™-6โ€
6โ€™-4โ€ Rear axle to CG 7โ€™-2โ€
12โ€™-8โ€ Tow point to CG 11โ€™-10โ€
4โ€™-6โ€ Height of CG 4โ€™-6โ€

Towing @ Front axle / Towing at Front Frame
(Elevated 3 degrees) / (Elevated 3 degrees)
24,000 lbs Total weight` 24,000 lbs
16,815 lbs Rear axle 16,093 lbs
7,185 lbs Front axle / tow point 7,907 lbs
18โ€™-11 5/8โ€ Rear axle to tow point 21โ€™-5 5/8โ€
6โ€™-2 1/8โ€ Rear axle to CG 7โ€™-0 7/8โ€
12โ€™-4 15/16โ€ Tow point to CG 14โ€™-4 3/4โ€
4โ€™-10-1/8โ€ Height of CG 4โ€™-10 3/4โ€

Towing @ Front Axle / Towing @ Front Frame
Climbing 8/11 stairs / Climbing 8/11 stairs
(Elevated 36 degrees) / (Elevated 36 degrees)
17,850 lbs Rear axle 17,393 lbs
6,150 lbs Front axle / tow point 6,607 lbs
15โ€™-4 3/8โ€ Rear axle to tow point 17โ€™-4 5/8โ€
3โ€™-6 15/16โ€ Rear axle to CG 4โ€™-3โ€
17โ€™-9 7/8โ€ Tow point to CG 13โ€™-1 5/8โ€
7โ€™-8 11/16โ€ Height of CG 8โ€™-2 9/16โ€

The weight on the axles does move forward with the tow point, and almost remains there as the MH is lifted for towing. As the MH is lifted more the CG rotates aft about the rear axle, and as โ€œdieharderโ€ said, you donโ€™t want to be at the bottom of the stairs.
If you lift the front of a motorhome, you are transfering more weight on the rear axle, I don't care where you lift the front end from. And most heavy duty wrecker will lift the steer axle by using a underlift forks to attach to the front tires and lift from there. And if you elevate the front up 36 degrees, I afraid you will owe me the rear bumper, tow receiver, engine undercarrage protection cage, and other assorted items that you will lose somewhere along that tow route. What ever you do, don't give up your day job, cause you will never make it in the trucking industry!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Lots of assumptions here, but... I would assume that the weight on the rear wheels would actually be reduced when towing. Depending on where the tow point was attached (on the frame forward of the front axle?), the dead load would proportionally move forward towards the new tow point from the rear axle, thus marginally reducing the weight on the rear axle. Other stresses are probably involved while towing that are more complex than mere dead loads.

You say tomato I say tomahto.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
OK, Itโ€™s a slow day at the office, so hereโ€™s a bit of engineering. The left hand numbers are for towing at the front axle, and the right hand numbers are for towing at the frame 2โ€™-6โ€ forward of the front axle. I assumed Center of Gravity (CG) at 4โ€™-6โ€ above grade. And located the CG 1/3 of the distance from the rear axle to the front axle or forward tow point. As I saidโ€ฆ lotโ€™s of assumptions, and only static loads.

Sorry about the formatting

My MH has these approximate dimensions and weights:

Level Ground / Level Ground
Towing @ Front axle / Towing @ Front frame
16,000 lbs Rear axle 14,618 lbs
8,000 lbs Front axle / tow point 9,382 lbs
19โ€™-0โ€ Rear axle to tow point 21โ€™-6โ€
6โ€™-4โ€ Rear axle to CG 7โ€™-2โ€
12โ€™-8โ€ Tow point to CG 11โ€™-10โ€
4โ€™-6โ€ Height of CG 4โ€™-6โ€

Towing @ Front axle / Towing at Front Frame
(Elevated 3 degrees) / (Elevated 3 degrees)
24,000 lbs Total weight` 24,000 lbs
16,815 lbs Rear axle 16,093 lbs
7,185 lbs Front axle / tow point 7,907 lbs
18โ€™-11 5/8โ€ Rear axle to tow point 21โ€™-5 5/8โ€
6โ€™-2 1/8โ€ Rear axle to CG 7โ€™-0 7/8โ€
12โ€™-4 15/16โ€ Tow point to CG 14โ€™-4 3/4โ€
4โ€™-10-1/8โ€ Height of CG 4โ€™-10 3/4โ€

Towing @ Front Axle / Towing @ Front Frame
Climbing 8/11 stairs / Climbing 8/11 stairs
(Elevated 36 degrees) / (Elevated 36 degrees)
17,850 lbs Rear axle 17,393 lbs
6,150 lbs Front axle / tow point 6,607 lbs
15โ€™-4 3/8โ€ Rear axle to tow point 17โ€™-4 5/8โ€
3โ€™-6 15/16โ€ Rear axle to CG 4โ€™-3โ€
17โ€™-9 7/8โ€ Tow point to CG 13โ€™-1 5/8โ€
7โ€™-8 11/16โ€ Height of CG 8โ€™-2 9/16โ€

The weight on the axles does move forward with the tow point, and almost remains there as the MH is lifted for towing. As the MH is lifted more the CG rotates aft about the rear axle, and as โ€œdieharderโ€ said, you donโ€™t want to be at the bottom of the stairs.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
The biggest assumption here is that the people being reported on would not mind personal details of their tradgety posted on a public forum for total strangers to speculate about.

Now is the perfect time to speculate.

It would be entirely inappropriate to speculate once all the facts are in.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest assumption here is that the people being reported on would not mind personal details of their tradgety posted on a public forum for total strangers to speculate about.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
in this case I don't think the attachment point matters as much as the fact as you are lifting the front and causing the coach to rotate vertically, shifting what used to be distributed weight back to the rear.. After that its all gravity.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
Makes me glad I have agreed value on my MH and not book value for a total loss. My agreed value is the purchase price I paid. For the first five years it covered a full replacement for same model, etc. My policy also has declining deductibles if no claims.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

marksoldtowne
Explorer
Explorer
I am so sorry to see this and I feel very disappointed to know that she was emotionally attached to this truck as they have spent a lot of time together in this. I think it will need a lot of money to get it repaired.

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:

It's physics. When you accellerate, additional weight is transferred onto the rear wheels. When you brake, more weight on the front. When you lift the front wheels off the ground, more weight transfers onto the back. The weight bearing moves closest to the ground.

Move a fridge or sofa up stairs and the person on the bottom is bearing most of the weight.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

imadtchmn
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo wrote:
One would think that the fire had to begin while the unit was parked somewhere in order for the slide to be open. Towing a coach of that size down the highway with the slide open would be absurd.

I would imagine that they used the manual crank to open the slide so she could get her items out of any drawers or closets. Just guessing.:@
1998 Chevy 6.5 TB Dually maxed out for power
2004 Dutchmen Classic 33RLK
DH George
DW Sherry
Dog Lady

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Regarding the slide being out.....

Where is it written you must have electrical power to move the slide?

Now.. if you want to know where it is written you DO NOT need electrical power to move the slides I can answer that one for you.... In the owner's manual.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Sad story. Sorry to here about this.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L