Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An EV motor home/van?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

I bumped into this today. I'm glad to see this happening.

https://www.rvtravel.com/grounded-g2-ev-rv-1127/

https://www.groundedrvs.com/g2

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
28 REPLIES 28

dedmiston
Aaaaand this is where the EV threads seem to wind up, which is why the EV threads have been relegated to the Tow Vehicle section.

Closing.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
pnichols wrote:
Reisender wrote:
pbeverly wrote:
Read an article here where someone did a drive with an EV and compared the time of driving a gas vehicle the same trip.

Gas 5-6 hours
EV 12 hours

The drive was in the southeast.

Weird. A 6 hour trip in a gas vehicle for us here would be (and is) the same 6 hours in our Tesla.

Oooooh ... that's interesing!

Are you saying your Tesla can go - what would be 6 hours in a gas/diesel vehicle - at 70+ MPH without one (or two) time increasing waits at recharging stops? (My 24 ft. gas Class C MH can travel continuously for 6 hours - with it's air conditioning or heating running - at highway speeds without refuelig stops, if I ever wanted to.)

The energy in a gallon of gas or diesel is way up there. Affordable batteries for the masses with equivalent energy densities are a way off yet.

I'll wait awhile on an EV motorhome or camper van - until battery technology is really ready.

Here's a FWIW P.S.: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/oct/24/amazing-infuriating-history-electric-car-in-pic...

Good morning. I’m talking about a car not a motor home. When we traveled to Vancouver BC in our Jeep grand Cherokee it was about 6 hours depending on road conditions, weather etc. It’s the same in our tesla. We are usually on the road by 08:30 in the morning and off by 14:30. We try to miss the rush hours that way. We typically stop in one place for a bathroom break and a quick lunch. Maybe 15 to 20 minutes. We charge while we eat. Works for us. To each his own.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Ok, just stop. We all understand that there was zero context provided by the prosecution and the defense…lol.
Because the only metric being “a 6 hour drive” doesn’t say much. Anything really…
But these discussions are always fun, regardless.
Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:
pbeverly wrote:
Read an article here where someone did a drive with an EV and compared the time of driving a gas vehicle the same trip.

Gas 5-6 hours
EV 12 hours

Weird. A 6 hour trip in a gas vehicle for us here would be (and is) the same 6 hours in our Tesla.

Oooooh ... that's interesing!

Are you saying your Tesla can go - what would be 6 hours in a gas/diesel vehicle - at 70+ MPH without one (or two) time increasing waits at recharging stops? (My 24 ft. gas Class C MH can travel continuously for 6 hours - with it's air conditioning or heating running - at highway speeds without refuelig stops, if I ever wanted to.)

The energy in a gallon of gas or diesel is way up there. Affordable batteries for the masses with equivalent energy densities are a way off yet.

I'll wait awhile on an EV motorhome or camper van - until battery technology is really ready.

Here's a FWIW P.S.: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/oct/24/amazing-infuriating-history-electric-car-in-pic...
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
free radical wrote:
Speaking of electric rv,how about this

https://pebblelife.com/

I saw something on tv about the Pebble, I actually like the concept of that one and for two people it is an excellent setup. still on the pricy side though starting at over 100K.

Looks nice inside, instead of pieced together decent battery and solar, and you can back it up with a remote. The only thing I am not impressed with is the tank sizes and or lack of. Only two tanks, 37 gal of fresh water and 50ish black tank (grey goes into black also).
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
pbeverly wrote:

Gas 5-6 hours
EV 12 hours

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I had a way to prove it, I would bet most of the issues people raise about why EVs will never work where used to explain why Model T would never work.
Are electric cars ready to replace all cars? No. OTOH, I would expect the vast majority of people that use this site have more than 1 car. And I bet most have 1 car used such that could be charged at home, give satisfactory service.
I don't think that RV would satisfy many, but then again very few would call a T a good car for today.
For the last few years, my area, like most, has had a big increase in home deliveries. UPS, or Fed-x stops half block, dogs insist I get up to look. Prime, with their EV, can stop next door, and unless I happen to see, I don't know it.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III

Gas 5-6 hours
EV 12 hours

Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360,

There are 24 countries that have reached the tipping point.

What protects North America is the crash test standards.

And, of course, there is the example of Suzuki, who pulled out of North America because they could sell more vehicles in other countries such as India.

As to market share, for BEV for China is 26% of all new Chinese cars. The 3rd best seller is the Tesla model Y which is a pretty nice "golf cart".

3.2 million bev's sold in China. That still leaves sales totalling over 10 million in at least 23 countries.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:
The most recent yearly sales figures for ev's are 14,000,000.

There will be more each and every year.

And 95% of those are electric golf carts in China. Most of the remaining 5% are due to govt mandates.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
JaxDad wrote:
I think that we, on this side of the Atlantic Ocean, often forget that there’s another ~750 million people on the other side.

On that side 250 miles (400 km’s) a day is no issue considering that for most non-expressway travel you’d be very lucky to average 50 km/h.

I think an 8 hours of travelling day would satisfy most folks over there.

I've rented a camper van on the other side of the Atlantic and spend a lot of time there.

You know they have modern expressways and outside of cities, two way roads are typically pretty good speed.

Also, I recall having to put 1euro in to get 1kwh of electricity at the campsite...So a 150kwh batter bank would actually be more expensive to fill than the diesel tank.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
How much fossil fuel does it take to make these? How much lithium does the batteries take to manufacture? What is the total impact over the lifespan, from manufacture to junkyard? Human implementation may not meet their marketing message. How much downtime to recharge the batteries at L1 or L2? Are there charging stations along my route or what are my options? Can you get reservation and what is the max time to reserve at a charging station?

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
For travelers (like we are), this holds no charm at all. Yes, co-driving we did do a single pull of 1106 miles in a "day", but we don't regularly do this. We do regularly do 350~400 mile days to get places we really want to go.
We are old and so is the coach, but we do not let that slow us down at all - ever.
Matt_C
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The most recent yearly sales figures for ev's are 14,000,000.

There will be more each and every year.
Regards, Don