cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ants in the RV a good thing for once

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Long story short: occasional whiffs of propane for months.

We're parked in FL and when ants got into the cats' kibble we decided to do something about it. I couldn't get under the RV (at least that's what I told DW) to spray so when she was under there, her nose (much more sensitive then mine) led her right to the source of the leak: it was where the galley slide fridge hose connected to the cast iron distribution pipes - the 3/8" hose had cracked from flexing. I capped it and no more propane smell.

BTW, based on how much my soapy water spray was bubbling, I would guess it was leaking less propane than the oven pilot.
7 REPLIES 7

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
A friend bought one of these Leak Detector and I have it in my maybe list. Went fully electric with my latest B but do have LP running to the house.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
Most of us men have been practicing saying โ€œI donโ€™t smell anythingโ€ all of our lives.

And completely incapable of seeing dirt on the floor.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
thread derail/

I have an almost 4 year old daughter that absolutely LOVES tooting. So much so that we call her "toot-toot". In church last Sunday the preacher said "tutor" and my daughter put her hand over her mouth, giggled and said "tooter". Thankfully I didn't hear that, but heard my wife struggling not to laugh. She told me and I laughed too... but it would have been way worse if I had seen/heard my daughter's reaction.

Back to the topic...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
Most of us men have been practicing saying โ€œI donโ€™t smell anythingโ€ all of our lives.
You've been to my house!
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
joe,

Great that you got it fixed!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dedmiston

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
My husband decided years ago that if I smelled propane, there was a problem whether he could smell it or not. He would diligently check and would ALWAYS find a source when I suspected it.

And. . . at the time we were members of NCHA, the National Campers and Hikers Association. In one of their newsletters, they ran an article about propane detection and how women seemed to be able to smell it long before men did. Vindication is always good!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/