cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any tank deodorants without chlorine/chlorides?

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
I have a stainless steel black tank. Bleach or anything with chlorine/chlorides will corrode stainless steel.

Are there any tank deodorants that don't have bleach or chlorides in them? I'm certainly willing to make my own if I can find a recipe with no chlorides in it. One recipe I looked at used Borateem, bur Borateem has chlorides in it.
14 REPLIES 14

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
Pit or vault toilets in campgrounds are not as bad as what your are describing so I would suspect there is some problem beyond the waste material. Regardless you might ask someone at a campground with these facilities what they throw down as it is definitely not bleach.

Filling the waste tank completely and putting in one of the enzyme products designed for septic tanks is another thought along the lines of it can't hurt and might help. Let it sit for a day or more and then empty the tank.

Beachhead makes a disinfectant that is used in food processing plants and hospitals and morgues or anywhere there is stainless steel equipment that needs to be disinfected and bleach is not an option.

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
There is only odor when the toilet is flushed. When we are driving down the road the odor fills the entire vehicle when someone flushes. At times we have needed to open all the windows to get rid of the stink. We've had passengers almost vomit from the smell before.

Yes, I've checked to be sure the vent is not plugged. I put on a vent cover that is kinda like a weather vane and that has helped somewhat. This past trip we were parked out in the desert in 105 to 110 degree heat that didn't help things. We dumped the tank both right before and right after we left the desert.

I think I'll try the GEO method to see if it helps.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Here's a bit of news: WATER is corrosive to stainless steel.

Unless you bought an extremely high grade/blend designed to resist that "universal solvent", you're going to get pinhole leaks no matter what chemicals you add/don't add.

I think this choice of materials foolish for a holding tank.

He could always install an anode rod :B

I just don't understand the OCD about waste tanks and stink.
If the system is properly functioning (vents, seals, traps) then no stink inside rig........period.
The occasional whiff when flushing, especially if exhaust fan is on, is just that..a whiff. No more bothersome than when using residential toilet...you know that whiff just before you flush.

I don't even get a whiff of poo-poo when dumping...my sewer hose(s) & fittings are tight.

Are folks that OCD about their S&B sewer system???
ALL drains in house (sink/toilet/shower) go thru same lines......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Oh gawd here we go again:R

If it bothers you so much to see repeated posts, why do you read them?

I'm with goducks10... you should not have a need for deodorizers if your system is in good shape. You need to look at finding out where the odor is coming from and fix the problem.

As for the GEO method, it is used to coat the inside of the tanks with a slippery surface so that solids and tp doesn't stick to them. The soap will clean the tank and when removed (drained) the calgon will coat the inside of the tank. Working sensors is a by-product.

Ron

ps... go Beavers...boo Ducks
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a bit of news: WATER is corrosive to stainless steel.

Unless you bought an extremely high grade/blend designed to resist that "universal solvent", you're going to get pinhole leaks no matter what chemicals you add/don't add.

I think this choice of materials foolish for a holding tank.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh gawd here we go again:R
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Or Happy Camper?
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
Does the GEO method really eliminate stink, or just clean sensors? I see it most often recommended to clean sensors when they aren't working properly.

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
The geo method with water softener and soap powder like Tide?
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
paulcardoza wrote:
Since Chlorine and ammonia (urine) don't play well together, I seriously doubt there are any tank deodorizers that contain chlorine.

Have you ever read the active ingredients on RV tank deodorizers? Most of them have chlorine or chlorides as an active ingredient. I just looked at a number of them at the store the other day and I couldn't find one that didn't have chlorine or chlorides as an active ingredient. Granted, this store did not have any so-called "natural" tank deodorants.

Take a look at http://www.calarvc.com/pdf/Holding_Tank_Products_as_of_Aug_2010.pdf for a list of active ingredients in many tank deodorants.

My stainless tank was brand spanking new on my last trip. There was serious stink after a few days. This is a combined grey/black tank so there should be plenty of water. I suspect some of the stink was due to the 105 to 110 degree heat. Yes, the tank is vented up through the roof.

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Since Chlorine and ammonia (urine) don't play well together, I seriously doubt there are any tank deodorizers that contain chlorine.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Flush your tank out when dumping and you won't need deodorants. Also make sure you have enough water at all times in the tank to keep solids from forming a pyramid on the bottom. I haven't used black tank chemicals yet in my trailer and have zero smell. We try and flush every time we dump and keep plenty of water in it.

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
A bus conversion. A custom stainless tank wasn't much more expensive than a really large plastic tank in the 125 to 150 gallon range. The stainless tank might weigh 40 pounds more than a plastic tank.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting...what RV has a stainless steel black tank? I imagine a tank like that adds lots of weight to the rig.

Just interested and always trying to learn. Sorry I can't help you with your actual question.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro