cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone have info on electric/motorized bikes?

CapeM1
Explorer
Explorer
Over the last few years my lung disease has progressed to where I am unable to ride a bike anymore. I use portable oxygen but it still seems to be too difficult to ride more than a short distance. Has anyone had an experience on the motorized bikes I see advertised. They range in the $1000 range so it is not something I would just give a try. There is nowhere in our area to even look at one, everything is online. The reviews are all just average and the one main company (Yukon)that seems to be online gets a very poor rating for customer service. This makes me very wary, but I would still love to try one. We are heading down to Florida and to South Carolina soon so I would love to give it a try. Thanks.
2010 Rockwood 2607
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500, Ext Cab
29 REPLIES 29

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I'm a little confused as to why what I said was offensive. But, there are getting to be quite a few bike trails in SW MN and NW IA and all of them have signs posted at the beginning of the trail that say "No Motorized Vehicles Of Any Kind". And, if you get into the bigger towns like Okoboji, IA, Worthington, MN they have cops on bikes riding the trails there now.

But, Vulcan Riders solution seems like a good one. You may also be able to get a special permit; I suppose; if you have health issues. I've never checked into it.

I think "he" was offended by "around here" making him look further at the post to determine where "around here" was.
but Okoboji, IA, a big town? ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

When you live 2 miles north of a town that has 150 people in it, like I do. Then most towns seem like a big town. ๐Ÿ™‚ Anything over 5000 people is a big town to me. lol

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I'm a little confused as to why what I said was offensive. But, there are getting to be quite a few bike trails in SW MN and NW IA and all of them have signs posted at the beginning of the trail that say "No Motorized Vehicles Of Any Kind". And, if you get into the bigger towns like Okoboji, IA, Worthington, MN they have cops on bikes riding the trails there now.

But, Vulcan Riders solution seems like a good one. You may also be able to get a special permit; I suppose; if you have health issues. I've never checked into it.

I think "he" was offended by "around here" making him look further at the post to determine where "around here" was.
but Okoboji, IA, a big town? ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

wanda573
Explorer
Explorer
I have a I ZIP, Zuma model and I absolutely love it. It is an electric/hybrid bike with pedal assist and throttle control. You can also just pedal it like a regular bike. I have used it all over Florida, combination of flat and hilly trails, and have been able to ride 15 to 20 miles on a charge. It has great power when I need it, but I mostly ride in pedal assist. Some people who have this bike bougbt an additional battery and carrier for even longer rides. I usually find 20 miles is plenty long for me.

I saw you bought a differnt brand but in case some one else is reading this post looking for more info I decided to go ahead and reply. Have fun riding your bike.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
I have Post Polio Syndrome and too much exercise is bad for me. Now I cannot even ride a regular bike on the level for more than a few minutes. The e-bikes have been great.

I have had 4 over the last 12 years or so. Good ones are not cheap. Get one with lithium ion batteries--last much longer, charge faster.

The front wheel drives I didn't like (found on most cheaper ones and DIY kits) There is not enough weight on the front drive wheel and can cause skidding if accelerating on gravel or even wet roads.

I currently have a Pedago the best so far. I can do 30 mile round trip (15 each way) with big hills at each end, on one charge.

If you have never ridden a bicycle before, they are not the thing to learn on without being very very careful.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Around here if you have a motor on a bike you can not use it on the bike trails.

Which is why I got the model that I did.

While I don't encourage breaking the rules....and may never have the opportunity or the need......you have to look REAL close to know that mine even has a motor.

Thus if you act like an adult who has a brain, you should be able to take it most anywhere.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I didn't read this whole tread. Around here if you have a motor on a bike you can not use it on the bike trails.

Good info -

"Around here, if you have a motor on a bike you can not use it on the bike trails."

Motorized bike riders beware - - around there!!...:S

Storden,MN
bumpy

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I didn't read this whole tread. Around here if you have a motor on a bike you can not use it on the bike trails.

Good info -

"Around here, if you have a motor on a bike you can not use it on the bike trails."

Motorized bike riders beware - - around there!!...:S

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

CapeM1
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE;
After doing some homework online, I decided to purchase a "Watseka" XP Express bike. The reviews on both the quality and the customer service were very adequate for a bike in this price range. The cost was only $599 plus shipping ($49). I ordered the bicycle and couldn't believe that two days later it was at my door. My DH assembled what needed to be done, and this took about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. After charging the battery I took it for a ride and was extremely happy with the ease and comfort of the ride. It is very user friendly and gives a very smooth ride. The one con would be that the bike itself is very heavy (70+ pounds). It includes the light, horn, and basket. I will be taking it on our trip and hope it holds up to daily use, but so far it has been a great choice. Thanks to all for your advice.
2010 Rockwood 2607
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500, Ext Cab

Tinyandthegang
Explorer
Explorer
My wife also is on oxygen and rides an "IZIP" and is very happy with it.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, here's what we bought. Scooter
My wife has pretty severe asthma, but still we like to camp and even take after dinner walks around the campground. We are B/van campers and it also comes in handy for a quick trip to the bath house when needed. A local bicycle shop (here in St. Louis, MO) is a Razor dealer so I thought I'd give it a shot. Got a good warranty and a decent price, I thought ($400) with the knowledge that the repair shop, if needed is nearby. Only had it for a little over a year, but love it so far. You must be cautious of certain parks/campgrounds, as they do not allow scooters of any type. But there again, with a handicap there could be an opening.
It fits on a cargo carrier with tie down straps for easy transport.
Hope this helps.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best things I ever did was buy an electric bicycle. I ride 10-20 miles 3 times a week. I bought an "IZIP" by Currietch. I highly recommend this company. My bike is quiet, legal on all bike trails, and reliable. I have had no problems with it!

Todd in Minnesota

(Bikes with a gas motor are not legal on MN bike trails).

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon has a line of electric bikes that are very nice for the price. They are at the bottom of the food chain so to speak but are well made and do a good job giving you your exercise and a good ride when you don't want to pedal.

They are the IZIP Hybrid Electric Bicycle. They are from Currie Tech out of Chatsworth , Ca. Of course they are made in China. They are setup to carry two batteries. They come with one battery the second is an option. They are around $500.00 from Amazon and free delivery.
jwmII