cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone using a portable washer and dryer?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th Wheel didn't come with washer and dryer hookups so I've been looking into the portable washers and dryers that are available. Most get really good reviews and they all run on 120V. Most of the reviews I've seen are from people that use them in apartments so before I make a decision, I thought I would ask this community what your thoughts are on them. Thanks!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
7 REPLIES 7

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
jrs1871 wrote:
We actually bought a Magic Chef apartment size washer and dryer. Dryer is 110. The literature says not for use in RV's but they have worked well for us for 3 seasons. I only wash a medium size load because that is what works best in the dryer. For what these two cost, I can replace them both and still pay less than what an RV washer and dryer would cost.

Thanks jrs1871. I see they have more than one size in this class of washing machine. What size did you get?

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
We actually bought a Magic Chef apartment size washer and dryer. Dryer is 110. The literature says not for use in RV's but they have worked well for us for 3 seasons. I only wash a medium size load because that is what works best in the dryer. For what these two cost, I can replace them both and still pay less than what an RV washer and dryer would cost.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Washer reviews
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
texacokat wrote:
I have a Costway Mini Washing Machine from Amazon ($69.99) and it takes a good load -- several t-shirts and underwear. If you need to do jeans or heavy sweatshirts, I would advise one at a time. It doesn't have a spinner on it, so you need to get one separately. I think there are new models now which contain a spinner. When we were in Florida at end of March and locked out of the campground's laundry, this came in handy! For drying, you need a drying rack or some other contraption. With covid I will continue to use this method when we are on the road.

Thank you texacokat. Yes, I'm looking at either the single drum fully automatic machines that have a spin cycle or the two drum models that have a separate drum for washing and one for spinning.

texacokat
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Costway Mini Washing Machine from Amazon ($69.99) and it takes a good load -- several t-shirts and underwear. If you need to do jeans or heavy sweatshirts, I would advise one at a time. It doesn't have a spinner on it, so you need to get one separately. I think there are new models now which contain a spinner. When we were in Florida at end of March and locked out of the campground's laundry, this came in handy! For drying, you need a drying rack or some other contraption. With covid I will continue to use this method when we are on the road.
Kathy & Scott
2018 Ford F-150 XLT
2018 Forest River Wildwood 27rks

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I have one, wash is approx 7# load no more
Spin dry 4# wet clothes , different compartment same machine
One wash load is two spin dry loads
Hang them up to finish drying
No heated tumble dry in this machine
The one your looking at might be different,
There is a variety of sizes and functions
It does save on the number of trips to the laundromat
But if your 6ft 2 inches, 200+# size 42
The machine I have is Probably not for you

Thanks MrWizard. I've been looking at the ones like you describe and also the single tub fully automatic models. How does it do with things like a pair of jeans and sweatshirts? All the video reviews I've seen just show things like light weight shirts, shorts, socks etc.

MrWizard
I have one, wash is approx 7# load no more
Spin dry 4# wet clothes , different compartment same machine
One wash load is two spin dry loads
Hang them up to finish drying
No heated tumble dry in this machine
The one your looking at might be different,
There is a variety of sizes and functions
It does save on the number of trips to the laundromat
But if your 6ft 2 inches, 200+# size 42
The machine I have is Probably not for you
I can explain it to you.