cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning recommendations

viciii3
Explorer
Explorer
After an unfortunate meeting with a tree during the 2017 camping season, which damaged my retracted awning, I am looking for a replacement. The awning seemed to have survived and didn't really come apart until this year...came back from a walk and one arm had snapped in half during a calm day with very light rain. I was surprised at how flimsy the awnings metal arms were, when looking at the broken piece. That's not to say it should survive a "tree strike" :R ...but still.

I am looking for recommendations for a replacement which are electric retracting/extending, with some type of 12v LED lighting, 16' wide and of sturdy construction (although not tree proof ๐Ÿ˜‰ .

Vic
2017 RAM 3500, 2017 Grand Designs Solitude 310GK
4 REPLIES 4

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Having designed and troubleshot military electronics, I know corrosion can show up any time something is exposed to weather.

So what I do for wiring is to paint any metal surface that is exposed. It also helps to use heat-shrink tubing everywhere posssible.

When using electrical tape, DO NOT STRETCH IT. It will only get loose with time, expose metal and make a mess to boot.

On batteries, I grease any metal except the actual connection surfaces.

On both of these areas, it takes some work to get to the undersides and backsides of exposed metal, so work it, work it.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can recommend one to stay away from, the solera smart arm https://www.lci1.com/smart-arm Has a nice convenient controller built right into the awning arm that you can turn the led lights on on and off with and also extend and retract the awning from. I even have the motion detection add on for one of my awnings. They are great when they work, but I have had to have the controller modules replaced multiple times and the wiring on the harness is corroding both due to moisture intrusion. Currently both awnings are failing again due to the corrosion in the control modules. Waiting to take the unit back in for the 3rd time now. Not sure how they are going to fix this issue. I've only had my camper for 6 months too.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L 4.10
2019 KZ Durango 1500 286BHD fifth wheel
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew CAb 6.0L 3.73 REPLACED
2004 Chevy 2500HD Exteneded Cab 6.0L 4.10 gears REPLACED
2004 KZ Frontier 2453P-F fifth wheel-REPLACED

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Got mine done by Shade Pro. I'm entirely satisfied with the quality and the price. I don't know if they are in your area, My location was in San Diego.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Carefree Travel-r
We sure like ours. Fits flush, adjustable pitch.
Order it with the 'Alumaguard' option for protection when it is rolled up.

Poke around here:
Awning...LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro