cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing up cobwebs

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been three years since I've had a trailer, and never had a wheel base this long before (F150-CC).

Put it my drive why like a boss earlier in the week. Went to take it to storage today, an embarrassing three adjustments before I got it in straight. That's like never happened that I can even remember!
12 REPLIES 12

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johno02 wrote:
Yes, it is a performance! Best entertainment for all us old f--- sitting around the campground! Good entertainment is hard to come by any more!

You want entertainment, go to a public boat launch on a holiday weekend.

At one launch, I waited 15 minutes while this couple couldn't get the trailer in the water, much less put the boat on this trailer. While they were standing there, I finally got po'ed enough, to back my trailer (off the ramp) right next to them, with my 4x4 Bronco, ex wife drove the boat onto the trailer. I pulled it out until tongue was on dry land, hooked it up, and drove away listening to swear words directed at me and to each other. It was too funny.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
If ai am looking for entertainment, I don't watch people backing into parking stalls, I go to the pool.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I once watched a professional trucker back into a space for trucks at a motel. He must have been a perfectionist and wanted to be exactly parallel to the other vehicles. Anyway, he pulled forward and back six times before he was satisfied.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Longer wheelbase, longer arc when backing. Right now, you're doing what worked before, by reflex.
After a few tries, you'll adjust and it'll be automatic again.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
And....it's even more 'fun' when there is an ugly shouting match between the driver and the spotter.
But, can you say that you have never been there?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it is a performance! Best entertainment for all us old f--- sitting around the campground! Good entertainment is hard to come by any more!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
I've been backing trailers for over 50 years. Last summer I pulled in to a bluegrass festival and was directed to park in a field, in the first vacant space. There were literally no obstructions. The only requirement being to leave enough space between the other guy and me. Oh, and I wanted to be parallel to him.

It took me about 5 tries to get it the way I wanted it.

I was OK with it.

Until the guy started ribbing me about it. That got me a bit T-ed off. It's not a performance for crying out loud.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.. only three adjustment. For me that would be a good day backing. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
A friend of mine wanted to move his boat trailer behind his house, which was two 90ยฐ turns from his driveway. With my full size Bronco (short wheel base), I made it in one pass. This yesterday was disturbing ๐Ÿ™‚ First mistake, I didn't allow myself enough room to make the turn. That set me up for failure.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Have RVed extensively for 8 years and fulltimed for almost 4... there are still some days that I wonder if I have ever done this before!
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
It only took you 3 adjustment tries??
Now, I can tell you a few stories..........
You are doing just fine.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes it's hit and miss and sometimes it's right on. Happens to us. We don't care because it's not a race and all that matters is that we get it in place without any damage to either the TV or the FW.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton