cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backing up with toad

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was in a situation recently where the last spot could have been mine at a rest stop if I backed my toad into the spot. It would have been almost a straight shot into the

spot. If someone was able to steer the toad wouldn't it be doable? i am talking a straight shot not around a corner. Also how many times have you had to drop the toad

because of bad directions or misjudgments. 30ft. Cambria with a Wrangler toad.
33 REPLIES 33

et2
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to do it... take a video and post it here. It would be a great post. Some people do learn from others mistakes.

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
I was in a situation recently where the last spot could have been mine at a rest stop if I backed my toad into the spot. It would have been almost a straight shot into the

spot. If someone was able to steer the toad wouldn't it be doable? i am talking a straight shot not around a corner. Also how many times have you had to drop the toad

because of bad directions or misjudgments. 30ft. Cambria with a Wrangler toad.

Just my thought, but all the documentation I have ever read from any of the towed setup manufacturers state to never back when hooked up. I am will go with what the engineers came up with for the manufacturer to put in their owners documentation. If you don't have it, you can usually download it from the manufacturers website.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ That's it!!!

Cars aren't trailers. Plus, they won't back far before steering goes hard into left or right lock.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
Baseplates and tow bars are naturally designed to be pulled but as you travel up and down and in and out through driveways, rough roads, etc. forces are exerted in all directions. These forces are much greater than the little pressure you would apply by backing slowly.

That being said as easy as my toads hook up and unhook why take the chance. I can easily unhook in less than 2 minutes and hook back up in less than 5 minutes.

Out of curiosity I pulled into the dirt field behind the house to see how far I could back and it is about four feet before the jeeps tires will crank all the way to one side or the other. In the dirt the front tires just slide but on pavement I think you would snap something at least prematurely wear out one section of rubber.

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
... I am curious what forces are working against this idea.

The biggest problem is the towed vehicle is aligned for forward motion with a slight amount of tow-in. In reverse, one wheel or the other will become dominant and turn the wheels, usually after only a few feet.
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
TexasShadow wrote:
it isn't all that big of a deal to unhook the toad, back up, etc and then hook up your toad when you're ready to leave..like always.
why take a chance on bending or breaking something?

I agree. Was just curious. Thanks for the responses, now heading to Mule Days in Bishop and trout fishing in the Sierras...

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
it isn't all that big of a deal to unhook the toad, back up, etc and then hook up your toad when you're ready to leave..like always.
why take a chance on bending or breaking something?
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it a few times, no more than a few feet and in a straight line. Once I was caught up with no turning radius in front of me at a gas pump island and had to adjust back and forth a couple of times but slow and carefully. I travel alone and hope to never to get 'stuck' but know that I will!
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
Vet Man wrote:
Check Craigslist for used tow bars you are going to need it.

x2

Based on what, your feelings or facts. Back up your statement, I am curious what forces are working against this idea.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I used to back up the Old Tracker /Roadmaster 5000 ,sometimes twenty or so feet! In a straight line it's not that hard ,but if The Combination is at any kind of an angle forget it

Haven't tried with the CRV / Demco Excalibur. Can't imagine it's any different though!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I tried backing up ONCE with my Jeep hooked up.
Never again!
I carefully parked at a burger joint so I could drive straight out. then several people parked next to me and in front of me so I could not move anyway except backwards.
So, believing what I had read on this forum, I decided to just back up. After all, others have done it!
I made it back about 4 or 5 feet when the Jeep steering SLAMMED over against the stops in a full left turn. Luckily, the parking lot was gravel, so the wheels just slid, and caused no damage.
I decided right there that no matter who says it can be done, I will never try it again. I will unhook, get straightened out as needed, and reconnect.
I was by myself, so having somebody hold the steering wheel was not an option. Since then, I have read several reports of people trying that and ending up with broken bones.
SO, IMO, I will unhook and get set to go then reconnect. It is, IMO, all around safer!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I only had to unhook once, when I came to a railroad trestle that was 10' at a 90 degree to the two lane road and I was 12'3". I unhooked and found a driveway I could back into and turn around and my wife followed me to another route to the CG, that was only a few miles away. There were no road signs advising of a low trestle(low bridge with height). CG owner had complained to the State several times about this.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:

x2

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
The RV place that installed my baseplate etc. said "Don't back up an inch" and I haven't. I'm thinking the problem isn't just steering the toad but the stress placed on the hitch and baseplate by backing? So far I've only had to unhook once because I pulled too close to a curb. It is a constant concern for sure. But my son tows with a dolly and he can't back up either so only way to avoid the problem is to not tow any thing or use a trailer which isn't an option to me.
Jayco-noslide

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"