cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bad Time To Sell RV?

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Did I pick the worst time in history to try and sell a camper?
With ppl staying home are they not buying items for travel which they are discouraged to do?
On the plus side, a camper (esp with solar installed) is a prepers dream.

Are the sales numbers at dealerships lower now too?

IDK if I am priced too high or it is the chinavirus effect and I should wait until Nov 4th
19 REPLIES 19

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
My boat sold today. And I've had a couple more people that wanted to come out and look.

Maybe it is a price point thing, but I think there still is a market out there for recreational equipment.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Truck Camper = Ultimate Bug-out rig...

I'm a drummer and have never moved my lops, and don't know that I want to and afraid to ask what a lop is. A dotted-eighth-sixteenth I know, but a lop...

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Depends....
- If things settle out by May, it likely won't have a dramatic effect as most sellers can wait it out.
- If the virus is still going strong come July, expect a lot of desperation sales as people aren't working and need cash any way they can get it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bad compared to what? Could be worse in the coming months. I say give it a go but don't give it away yet.
By the time the RV market recovers your camper may still have dropped another 50% in value.
You need to decide how motivated you are.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people may need an RV to live in.
If you think now is a bad time, just wait 3-6 months when the economy is shut down. Sell it now or wait several years.
Cash will become increasingly valuable.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Bad Time To Sell RV?"

Ya think? ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, terrible time to try to sell. With people taking huge hits to their nest eggs and large numbers of workers being indefinitely idled, the numbers of active buyers is going to be significantly reduced. RVs donโ€™t sell well in times of uncertainty.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to say it but desperation sales are just around the corner.
It will be a buyers market.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the price of RV's and homes (and probably most big ticket items) are going to drop until job security gets re-established.
Kevin

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Ordinarily, this would be the best time to sell but with this lousy virous thing, who knows?
We visited three dealers the week before last (buddy is buying) and they said sales were very good. Not sure about now though..

Scott

You are old enough (I presume) to know any drummer lies every time they move their lops....:p

Bad time to sell, excellent time to buy and even better in a couple weeks when the kaka really hots the fan.

Might GIVE you one to avoid paying floorplan tax....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"discretionary income will drop dramatically"

Heck, my net worth has dropped dramatically!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - discretionary income will drop dramatically until there is more economic certainty, and the simple flow of foot traffic into dealers is most certainly incredibly low. Some states and municipalities won't even allow dealerships to be open for sales at this time.

A seller may get lucky in a private sale, but I think we are talking about a dramatically different market than what we had just 2-3 weeks ago!

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Most people donโ€™t make expensive discretionary purchases during times of economic uncertainty, and those who do are often the more well-off looking for a bargain. Remember what happened to RV sales during the Great Recession of 2008-09? An individual seller might get lucky, but overall itโ€™s much more of a buyerโ€™s market.
2013 RT 190-Popular

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have mixed emotions on this. Economy is certainly down, but camping is something you can do in isolation. Certainly more people would be interested in that than a beach or amusement park trip right now. It is my understanding the State Parks are having high visitation.

I'm selling a boat right now. I haven't had a LOT of interest in it, but I am reasonably sure that it will sell tomorrow.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010