cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Be wary of Giants super show and sale going on in Pomona.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
With the increase of young folks buying homes in our neighborhood the streets are getting really tight. It seems most of them have two or three vehicles parked on the street. The max in the very short straight areas the streets are 28' curb to curb and that really makes it hard to get the Winnie up through the curves, it is 101.5" wide and 33.5' long. So the DW wants to down size and thatโ€™s good with me. She was wondering if we bought from a dealer if we could get a descent amount trading in the ours and buy new or slightly used from the dealer.

We went over to the free admission show being put on by Giant RV for ten days in the fairgrounds where the big RIVA show is in Sept. Boy was she taken aback when they offered us $12,000 for a trade. And wouldnโ€™t show us the used ones we wanted to see. They are out to sell Winnie Intentโ€™s and some of Giant RV rentals and hundreds of trailers. I will admit the discount of MSRP was 34 percent but the intent is a poorly constructed shabby below entry level Thor or FR3. The kitchen counter top in the one they wanted us to buy, looked like a surfboard it was so warped. It has two 20lb propane cylinders instead of a tank, there are two water pumps, single pane windows, really cheap upholstery and the drivers seat was smeared with grease.

After we left, I told the DW that tomorrow morning they will call and sweeten the deal and if we still said no, they would call again on Sunday morning with even more for trade in and lower the price again. Well they called again and dropped the price $4000 and offered $2000 on trade. Of course we both have FICAโ€™s above 830 and a pretty good chunk in the bank with zero CC debt.

We had talked about no matter how much the price dropped, I wasnโ€™t getting into a cardboard RV and that we would tell him if we walked out the door for $55000 I wouldnโ€™t buy the Intent. Well she told him weโ€™d think it over and let him know.

Giant RV has a really bad rep for everything after you sign on the dotted line. They are super to deal with but nothing after you bought it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
7 REPLIES 7

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
*ANY* RV at *ANY* of the Pomona RV shows can be purchased "elsewhere" (different dealer *NOT* at the show) at a *MUCH* better price!!

Been that way...."forever"..:S

~

That's any RV show. The RV show "special price" does not mean it's cheaper for the buyer. What's special about it is the $1000 or more that's tacked on that price above what you could buy the exact same unit for off the dealers lot, pays for the expensive floor space at the venue where the show is held. Its special for the dealer. Does anyone really think a dealer is paying for that floor space out of pocket?

Thank you for reiterating what I posted!

The Pomona show/s are outside (not "floor" space"), but the dealers who are "chosen" to participate have paid for the privilege.

Pomona is good for "looking" but *NOT* for purchasing.

Another poster "BizmarksMom" questioned not being shown what you want to see. Common practice (for Pomona) - you must sign in on/to a log book with your name, address and phone to enter a unit (or units) on display.
Obvious reasons - but I would use a pseudonym (name, address, etc.) to
by-pass that. Also, if you don't want to be pestered....never have the DW with you. Tell 'em I'm looking today, will bring her back tomorrow. They lose interest instantly - look all you want.

It is what it is.

:C

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
*ANY* RV at *ANY* of the Pomona RV shows can be purchased "elsewhere" (different dealer *NOT* at the show) at a *MUCH* better price!!

~

That's any RV show. The RV show "special price" does not mean it's cheaper for the buyer. What's special about it is the $1000 or more that's tacked on that price above what you could buy the exact same unit for off the dealers lot, pays for the expensive floor space at the venue where the show is held. Its special for the dealer. Does anyone really think a dealer is paying for that floor space out of pocket?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand them not "showing you the units you want to see." Weren't you able to just walk into those units and look around? Maybe the RV shows are done differently here.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I wouldn't touch the Intent with a 10' pole, but that's just me. Don't even consider boondocking; it's not that type of RV.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
RV Trader is your friend. We bought our RV from a dealer 8 hours away and saved 20K over what a local dealer wanted.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer

~

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You've got almost 10 feet on each side of your Winni. Why is that a problem?

The Intent is entry level with a very low price. The factory rep I spoke with at one of our shows says they had to do what they did to keep the price down. Did you look at the Winni Vista or SunStar?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE