Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best GPS or trip planner to avoid low bridges

solman
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
I am not sure if this is the best place to post this thread. Moderators feel free to move as needed.
We just purchased our first fifth wheel. It's a Keystone 315 RLS that DW fell in love with. She insisted on a 2nd A/C unit for the bedroom as the camper is 35 feet long. My last camper I just traded was a toy hauler with a clearance height of 12'4".
New height on the 5er is 13'5". I think I might have to take the long way at times especially living in the North East.
I looked at GPS units for RVing but find many negative reviews concerning poor routing and inaccurate bridge height guidance.
What are you using to keep out of trouble with a larger and taller RV?
Thanks
Solman
2011 F-250 6.2L 4x4 3.73 8'bed
2020 Keystone Cougar 5er 315RLS
pullrite 16k hitch
9 REPLIES 9

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
Trucker path cell phone app

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
I use RV Trip Wizard. It's an online program only for $39/Year, but after I plan my trip, I re-create it in Google Maps and send it to my phone for navigation. It hasn't failed me yet. The program has a way to send trips to your phone but you can't use them for navigation so that's why I re-create them for that purpose.

X2
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
trucker path. I have the app on my cell phone

firemedic1992
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Garmin RV 785.
You can enter height, length, width and weight of your RV. Iโ€™ve got one and really like it.
I like the built in dash camera too!

Advanced GPS Navigator with Built-in Dash Cam for the RV and Camping Enthusiast

RV navigator with high-resolution 7โ€ touch display plus built-in dash cam to record your drive and enable features such as forward collision and lane departure warningsยน
Custom routing takes into account the size and weight of your RV then finds the best route for your vehicleยฒ
Provides road warnings to keep you aware of steep grades, sharp curves, weight limits and more
Includes a directory of RV parks and services, TripAdvisorยฎ traveler ratings, plus integrated content from Ultimate Public Campgrounds, KOAยฎ, iOverlanderโ„ข, PlanRVโ„ข, Foursquareยฎ and more
Control with your voice, and enjoy hands-free callingยณ and built-in Wi-Fiยฎ connectivity for easy map and software updates without a computer
Map updates included; preloaded street maps for North America with coverage of the U.S., Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands and Bahamas

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
We use the app Copilot to navigate when traveling with our TT. It keeps us away from low bridges and parkways..... so far! We've been using it a year now.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin 660 GPS. It allows you to set up types of vehicles such as car or 5th Wheel or motorhome. You enter the vehicles data such as height, weight and length and it uses this to calculate your route.

On word of caution it will change your route when you least expect it. We travel to Myrtle Beach from south west PA down 79 19 to 77 and it wants to change the route to avoid that steep hill on 77 going into North Carolina. I've towed up and down that hill at least a dozen times or more but the GPS tries to make me avoid it. It definitely works for the height.

Good luck and safe travels!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
While not a planner, we found the "RV Parky" phone app to be an invaluable resource.
It includes a ton of filters for campgrounds,free places and Wal Marts. Road hazards such as low overpasses are denoted by a red triangle.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Low clearance poiโ€™s adds low clearance locations to your gps as poiโ€™s you pay for the database and the copilot app allows you to create a profile using your own weight and heights and routes accordingly.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I use RV Trip Wizard. It's an online program only for $39/Year, but after I plan my trip, I re-create it in Google Maps and send it to my phone for navigation. It hasn't failed me yet. The program has a way to send trips to your phone but you can't use them for navigation so that's why I re-create them for that purpose.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.