cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best GPS?

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey folks. We just drove the truck from North Idaho to Florida and back. We helped family repair storm damage, eat fried chicken, and went to the Cape for the Falcon Heavy launch. The final evening meal was shrimp, wrapped with bacon, dipped in butter. Huh? Huh? I still lost over 5 pounds.
We have/had an old Garmin GPS that went crazy as we entered Georgia. It finally was removed from service and thrown away. Now, we're shopping a new GPS to use with the truck/fifth wheel combination.
My question is; what is the "best" GPS? After reading the online comments, there are lots to be desired with what is on the market.
45 REPLIES 45

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
I just retired 2 days ago and 2 management guys chipped in and bought me a Rand McNally RVND 7 RV GPS. You load your dimensions of your rig into it and supposedly avoids routes that you'd get into trouble with. I just charged it and and loaded updates and I'll be trying it out in about 2 days... retirement trip--coming up.
JK

Our Rand 7710 has been everything we wanted since we bought it in 2011...and more. If it ever crapped out I would get another in a heart beat!!
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just retired 2 days ago and 2 management guys chipped in and bought me a Rand McNally RVND 7 RV GPS. You load your dimensions of your rig into it and supposedly avoids routes that you'd get into trouble with. I just charged it and and loaded updates and I'll be trying it out in about 2 days... retirement trip--coming up.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
I usually also use my phone and the free and exceptional WAZE app. Nothing beats it. It shows all of the detail/traffic and more than stand alone GPS's. Very good app WHEN cell service is available. It also saves/pre-loads large sections of map so that you can still navigate most of the time when cell coverage goes away. Of course, there are still places/times when the cell service isn't doing it. I then use an old Garmin for emergencies and of course an Atlas or map.

Maybe stand alone GPS software is now better since I purchased my old Garmin but I have never been 100% happy with the Garmin. Even friends with newer units, for example, the units specifically for trucks/rv's, have complained that they are wrong, don't update the maps fast enough, the traffic services aren't reliable or in real time, and they are also sometimes wrong about bridge heights or don't include some etc...

I don't know. I do just fine with a map and my WAZE app.

mycamperfriend
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably no the "best" one but the TomTom VIA 1535TM does a fine job. Hope this helps.
Michael
RV Camping Pro - Camp more, worry less.
MyCamperFriend.com

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
If you are in a deadzone for cell service, good chance you are in a dead zone for traffic.

We have a nuvi and yes, it does lose traffic info in remote areas fairly regularly.

Garminโ€™s traffic info comes from FM radio signals, not cell phone signals. My Rand/McNally does require cell network connectivity)

Yes, there are huge areas of the country not covered by the FM networks.

Personally I find Garminโ€™s traffic info in metropolitan areas often superior to Google Maps.

Of course, where you really need the traffic conditions is typically in urban areas where you have both cell and FM coverage.

Also, the NUVI frequently has no traffic data off the freeways while google maps covers just about every road.

Have to disagree on the quality. We usually pull out the phone when the NUVI says there is delay ahead to see exactly what is happening and it is usually more accurate.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I replaced my Garmin Nuvi with a Garmin Drivesmart 50 LMT. It has the lifetime map updates and live traffic. It is cheaper than the RV specific GPS systems, which also look good. I like that this GPS changes to a split screen when approaching exits to give you a visual image of where you need to go and the fact that it tells you graphically what lane you need to be in. I don't depend on it to give me a route. I use Google to roughly figure it out and then use Garmin Basecamp to come up with the route and send it to the GPS. Works great. I use my cell phone GPS a lot, but for longer trips I much prefer the Garmin.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the question had been rephrased to โ€œWhat is the best RV navigation system?โ€ My answer would be โ€œYour brain, aided by a dedicated GPS, a phone or two monitoring traffic and road issues ahead, and a person in the passenger seat helping make sense out of the information.โ€

I start my day with a few minutes looking at a paper map, then enter the destination into the GPS and see what route it suggests, check state DOT sites for construction and closures, make changes as required, then hit the road. When the GPS tells me to do something I donโ€™t expect by using a different road name than I expect, I usually already know what road Iโ€™m looking for and am not surprised.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
If you are in a deadzone for cell service, good chance you are in a dead zone for traffic.

We have a nuvi and yes, it does lose traffic info in remote areas fairly regularly.

Garminโ€™s traffic info comes from FM radio signals, not cell phone signals. My Rand/McNally does require cell network connectivity)

Yes, there are huge areas of the country not covered by the FM networks.

Personally I find Garminโ€™s traffic info in metropolitan areas often superior to Google Maps.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Any GPS can be a great one.

A GPS is a tool with great potential, and great possible dangers.

Like any precision tool, a GPS is only as good as the amount of time you are willing to put into learning how to use it. The details matter.

Anyone who expects a GPS to be a turn it on and go tool will have trouble. And no sympathy from me.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Garmin units for the last 16 years. I upgraded from the RV760 to the RV770 last year when it came out (3/2017). Once the original firmware got updated it has become the best GPS I have ever had. It's screen is clear, the touch screen is responsive and there are many new features. Garmin GPS units that come with Lifetime Maps get you about 3-4 updates a year. Garmin and most other brands use NAVTEQ maps so if there is an error on a map it is probably on all the other brand GPS's too.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
DrewE wrote:

Dedicated GPSs (with traffic) do have realtime data, via sideband signals sent over the FM broadcast band--or at least that's where mine gets traffic data from. It's only available in urban areas, so presumably cell service would be reliably available there as well.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Itching2go
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've used our Garmin RV 760 for several years now, and it's done well for us. If/when it ***** out, I'd likely look to the RV 770 as a replacement. Just be sure you get the RV specific unit and not the trucker's version as the truck version will try to route you on truck routes only in metro areas. We had one for awhile several years back, and it would sometimes send us on some fairly circuitous routes. As for the RV 760/770, we particularly like the low clearance protections, the size of the screen, and the lane guidance, both verbal and on the screen. With the unit mounted on the dash within easy eye sight, this last is of particular value, especially on travel days like yesterday when we had to navigate through Dallas/Ft. Worth.

To be fair though, keep your expectations realistic when it comes to any GPS unit. None are perfect, and all will occasionally send you on a less than best route. You need to use common sense. There have been times when we've used google maps or other smart phone based apps as a back up or sanity check to a route that the Garmin is sending us. In the vast majority of cases, the Garmin was spot on. But, there are always those exceptions.
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLSA pulled by a 2007 Chevy 3500 D/A SRW

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
But doesn't WAZE require real time data from people who are supposed to be driving their cars? I don't think that's such a great idea. Not a lot of difference between texting, and entering traffic conditions while driving.

The real time data you are talking about is when folks input locations of police officers or road hazards. The rest of the time your speed is being sent automatically. If it doe snot match or is not near what the posted speed is then the app assumes a traffic issue if it is bad enough and reported by enough users. I once was in a traffic jam that waze had not yet reported and on my screen came a pop up asking if I was in traffic because my speed was so far below posted speeds. You don;t have to input information and can just use it as a gps.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
"BEST"... made by Man.. really ?

Garmin Dezl 770 trucker... with poi factory RV POI. download to 770...