cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best system for flat towing a Jeep Wrangler Sport

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
For the past two year we have towed a KIA Soul on a dolly behind our Sprinter based Class C-. We have both had orthopedic surgeries this year and decided that flat towing is best for us. I bought a 2-door Jeep Wrangler Sport today and now we need to fit it out for towing. I would like advice about the easiest system available. lizzie
6 REPLIES 6

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
If you have a older wrangler with the metal bumper you can get a $50.00 bracket like this

Then a $60.00 Hopkins wire kit and you can get a cheap A frame tow bar for $150.00 or so

Neat! Where can I get a set?
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a older wrangler with the metal bumper you can get a $50.00 bracket like this

Then a $60.00 Hopkins wire kit and you can get a cheap A frame tow bar for $150.00 or so
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The Demco Commander tow bar is very light and easy to use.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:
For the past two year we have towed a KIA Soul on a dolly behind our Sprinter based Class C-. We have both had orthopedic surgeries this year and decided that flat towing is best for us. I bought a 2-door Jeep Wrangler Sport today and now we need to fit it out for towing. I would like advice about the easiest system available. lizzie

First, we need to know what year Jeep Wrangler.
If it is 2006 or earlier, the ignition switch has an "OFF, not locked" position. That position will retain the key. That is where the switch needs to be for towing, to unlock the steering.
If it is 2007 to 2011 (IIRC), the ignition switch does not have that position, so it must be left in the "ACC" position to unlock the steering for towing. That means the Negative cable must be disconnected from the Jeep battery, or a charge line (10 gauge or larger) run from the towing unit to prevent discharging the battery.
In 2011 or 2012, the steering lock was eliminated, so the switch can simply be turned "OFF" and the key removed.
I towed several different Jeeps with a simple, inexpensive, fixed arm adjustable width towbar. It did the job wonderfully well, and cost less than $175 new. IMO, however, the ultimate system is the Ready Brute integrated towbar/braking system by NSA. It is, quite possibly, the "best bang for the buck" that can be purchased!
There are a multitude of ways to hook up lights. The previously mentioned Cool-Tech harness is one. A selector switch (6 pole double throw) wired in is another. 4 pin flat connectors to disconnect the lights from the Jeep wire harness and plug them in to the towing harness is another. Adding new sockets and bulbs to the existing taillights for towing lights is another. Even magnetic mount towing lights work just fine (yes, I have used them!).
I think the Jeep was an excellent choice. Have fun with it.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
lizzie wrote:

Remember your jeep is light, you don't need a massive tow bar, or an expensive one either. A falcon 2 works very well on ours. Brakes will depend on what system your coach has. lights? go with CoolTech harness. Their harness plugs into the 7 pin connector on your coach.

Always check to see if the steering lock will allow the jeep to be towed with the key off, place the transfer case in neutral , transmission in gear/park, and off you go.

When the key is in the off position and the steering is locked, disconnect the battery and turn the key to "on" and then tow.

Light harness for jeeps
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine