cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boat trailer

Johnnytree
Explorer
Explorer
I had an issue over the weekend with my boat trailer. And was wondering if anyone else has encountered anything like this. I had my boat in the water all weekend and had the truck and trailer parked on a hard packed dirt and gravel parking lot. When I went to get the truck and trailer to put the boat back on it. I noticed someone had drug the trailer to a ninety degree angle to my truck and then drug it back to its original position. Could that cause any damage to my spindle,rims,tires and axles? I called the park rangers and had them take a report. I also called my insurance company for any possible damages. All I can figure is somebody was trying to steal it. And most likely wasn't able to get it to release from the hitch. The lock I keep on there was gone too. I' m just trying to avoid any future issues if any damages happened as a a result of being drug like that.
2006 F250
2006 W.W FSC2800
2006 Raptor 700R Mine
2009 Polaris RZR 800 with 6" long travel suspension Wife
6 REPLIES 6

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of boat and trailer and engine thefts on hull truth . Makes you weary to leave anything real shame.

Johnnytree
Explorer
Explorer
After talking to the ranger trailer theft is pretty common. If my truck and trailer aren't level it wont release easily anyway. The truck and trailer were at a downward angle. So maybe something with the surge brakes prevented it from coming off. Its very strange whatever happened. I was more concerned that something happened to the components. I was due for tires anyway. I'll replace those and call it all good.
2006 F250
2006 W.W FSC2800
2006 Raptor 700R Mine

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that would damage the axles. My concern would be tread separation on the tires - they aren't made to move like that.

I am not a thief, but I don't understand how pulling it sideways would get it to release from the truck. And, if they were trying to steal it, and got the lock off, what stopped them from taking it?

I've heard of tires/wheels stolen at the ramp (my folks had that happen), but never the entire trailer.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Johnnytree
Explorer
Explorer
The boat trailer is a double axle it holds a 20' boat. Trailer weighs 1500 to 2000 pounds. I doubt anyone was able to lift it. Judging by the drag marks that were left.
2006 F250
2006 W.W FSC2800
2006 Raptor 700R Mine

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I would say they were trying to maneuver around your trailer, but with the lock missing, they were definitely trying to steal it. They may have needed room at the hitch/ball area to figure out how to get it but was unable to.

At least you're not out having to buy a new trailer today!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought...( you don't say how big of trailer)

Or maybe someone was trying to park next to you or get by and their driving skills were not to good and someone just lifted your trailer and moved it aside so they could park or get by.

But with your lock gone, maybe entirely different story.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"