cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking in Ventura County, CA

SkylineSearcher
Explorer
Explorer
Passing through Ventura County, CA. Anyone got tips on boondocking spots? Considering Walmart and other spots.

Thank you!
8 REPLIES 8

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
SkylineSearcher wrote:
Passing through Ventura County, CA. Anyone got tips on boondocking spots? Considering Walmart and other spots.

Thank you!

Apparently the Mods don't appreciate So. CA *facts*.

Easy answer - No boondocking or Walmart "overnighting" available.
No truck stops where you would like to spend the night.
Rest areas are few and far between - and jam-packed!

True: Most (if not all ) Walmarts ban overnighting - due to folks who have turned "overnighting" into long-term "camping" with run-down RVs.

The So. CA city which I worked for (30 years) fought long and hard *not* to even allow a Walmart within the city limits!
Why? The adjoining city had one - which became a homeless (with RVs) "campground".

In San Diego, Orange, L.A., Ventura, Santa Barbara Counties (and any city/county close to the ocean - search out paid campground listings (off the interstates) and check for offerings and availability. *If* you are traveling inland (like I-5) - your chances greatly improve north of L.A.

Campgrounds on or close to the beaches - sell out (filled) six months in advance when reservations open for summer.

Trying to be honest - been in So CA for 80 yrs, camping (in RVs) since 1976.

As the saying goes - it is what it is.

~

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
bikendan wrote:
Pretty sure that all Walmarts in VC, ban overnight parking. Most California Walmarts ban overnight parking. You must not be from California.

Over the years, there have been efforts by various campground owners associations to get overnight parking banned - ostensibly for "safety" reasons.

In some cases, they have been successful.

No, in California, it has been local governments that have banned overnight parking. When I lived in California, every Walmart I went to, had No Parking signs with the local ordinances posted on them. The homeless issues in California, has just made this more common. Most Walmarts in California, are nowhere near any campgrounds.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
Over the years, there have been efforts by various campground owners associations to get overnight parking banned - ostensibly for "safety" reasons.

I disagree. The push to ban parking lot campgrounds is almost always based on community objection. Walmart has banned overnight RV parking even in the absence of any ordnance requiring it. It's often driven by simple bad RVer's behavior.

It doesn't take many to ruin it for all.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
While not free, you can dry camp on PCH1 "on the ocean" near Emma Woods campground. They used to be first come first served but I heard they were going to reservations. It was $25/night for some of the best camping in America!
If you are just looking for free overnight parking (like Walmart) that's not really dry camping. You might want to rephrase the question. You can also check out RVParky.com and it will show which (if any in CA) Walmart's, Cabella's and the like allow overnight parking (no camping, please).

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
bikendan wrote:
Pretty sure that all Walmarts in VC, ban overnight parking. Most California Walmarts ban overnight parking. You must not be from California.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at this website for the Los Padres Nation Forest

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/lpnf/recreation/camping-cabins

Boondock at a Walmart? Not my definition.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
rest areas and truck stops
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
SkylineSearcher wrote:

Thank you!

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes