cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Build my hitch - trying to reduce sway

CampinHappy
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a Keystone Premier 29RK. Currently drive a 2017 F-150 4wd with 5.0 engine and 3.73 rear end. The trailer weights are (as of today fully loaded, fresh water 40 gals, grey/black empty, zero propane (oops), dual batteries, generic wdh and sway bar, basic food and groceries, clothes for a few days, and the front storage with the usual assortment of power cables, stinky slinky, chocks, water hoses, and a midsize tool box.

I know a 250 would be better, but not yet, I need to wait a year.

Truck - 5900
Trailer - 7440 , rear axles - 6240, tongue 1200.

Obviously looking at Hensley and the other +$2500 hitches. Wondering if some other could meet my needs.

Today we drove home 250 miles with a steady 20 mph crosswind most of the way (Central Texas to West Texas) and had some sway but no serious white knuckle events.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
CampinHappy
West Texas Region
2021 Premier 29RK, 2017 F-150 pulling it fine
Former covered wagons include:

2007 K-Z Spree 240 BH with triple bunks for my 3 amigos
Formerly a 99 Coleman Niagara PUP
wife version 1.0 (so far :B) 4 boys who have flown the coop ๐Ÿ™‚
16 REPLIES 16

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put "E" tires on the F150. Made a HUGE difference for me. I no longer even use sway control on the WDH.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
mkirsch wrote:
Yes, definitely NOT trailer sway. Trailer sway does not go away by itself. However, trailers will move around with undulations in the road and gusts of wind. If they snap right back in line behind the truck, then you did not experience sway and there is nothing to reduce.

On the other hand if you had to manually apply the trailer brakes to bring it back in line, that's a whole other ball of cats.

Good explaination...to many people think if you buy a magic hitch, your trailer won't be affected by winds.

It's perfectly normal in any type of RV to feel gusts. The issue is if your trailer continues wagging like a dogs tail after the gust or semi blowing by you...that's an indication of sway. If it immediately settles back in, just hold steady and it's good.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I dunno much about the cat balls but one rig I had was a long bed quad cab Dodge 3500 diesel towing a 30ft Roughneck travel trailer 1400 tongue 12000 trailer on a ProPride hitch. Handled
like it was on rails in side winds.

The first โ€œkerTHUMPโ€ going steep downhill around a hairpin on a Californy canyon road triggered a โ€œWhat the ?? was that??โ€

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Have you got LT tires on the truck or P tires? I would absolutely get rid of the P tires if that's what you have.
You're weights sound reasonable for that truck. What's the problem you're trying to fix?

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
I got moved half a lane getting hit by what where known 60-100 mph gusts on I205 crossing the Columbia river one time. Whole truck and trailer moved as a unit. While I'm not going to say my shorts didn't need changing. I don't consider that type of movement anything a Hensley or equal can help with.
If the trailer is moving left to right behind you on its own at speed above XX mph, that is when the cat is playing in those balls Don posted a picture of. I can say you have problems with the setup.
As noted by some others, what movements did you have? Some frankly are what many of us would call normal movements. Kinda like a plane in some wind conditions.....bouncy!

Marty

I agree 100% my Excursion and TT moved as one when hit by wind of a passing semi. Side wind gusts barely affected me. Now with the MH. I got shoved over almost an entire lane last year by a small gust, less than 50 mph. But it was definitely a wake up moment. In the 17 years I had my TT I have never had that type of movement.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spot on Marty!

blt2ski
I got moved half a lane getting hit by what where known 60-100 mph gusts on I205 crossing the Columbia river one time. Whole truck and trailer moved as a unit. While I'm not going to say my shorts didn't need changing. I don't consider that type of movement anything a Hensley or equal can help with.
If the trailer is moving left to right behind you on its own at speed above XX mph, that is when the cat is playing in those balls Don posted a picture of. I can say you have problems with the setup.
As noted by some others, what movements did you have? Some frankly are what many of us would call normal movements. Kinda like a plane in some wind conditions.....bouncy!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
...that's a whole other ball of cats.

Ball of cats?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, definitely NOT trailer sway. Trailer sway does not go away by itself. However, trailers will move around with undulations in the road and gusts of wind. If they snap right back in line behind the truck, then you did not experience sway and there is nothing to reduce.

On the other hand if you had to manually apply the trailer brakes to bring it back in line, that's a whole other ball of cats.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
What hitch are you using now? (I may have missed that, still early and not enough coffee)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
How much weight did you restore to the front axle of the F-150? Ford recommends 50% or even 25%. I recommend 100% lost weight restored for TT's due to the large profile which is more impacted by wind than any other trailer of similar weight. That is the cheapest thing to try.

A ~$500 Equalizer, Reese Strait Line, or BlueOx SwayPro should do well when adjusted to restore 100% front axle weight.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
A 20mph crosswind...with an occasional gust or trucks cutting off the wind as they pass...you'll feel a nudge now and then...so it sounds like it should be fine.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You can weld the trailer to the truck, but you will never make the wind go away. What you felt was not sway, it was simple gusts of wind. Tell us exactly how you adjusted the sway bar, few are ever done correctly.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
When towing mine , that wasnt that heavy with my older 1500, i had a squishy feel in the back of the truck. It was sidewall roll and coreected with lt tires. What type of sway are you experiencing?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.