cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buyer Beware: Reserve America / Active Advantage

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
Just a PSA for you. I recently got a charge on my credit card fr $89.95 to a company called Active.com for their advantage membership. I had no idea who they were but I have found their parent company may own Reserve America and the charge came from a reservation I made in FL using RA.
This is very disturbing to me that the Florida State Park dept would allow this to happen as well as Reserve America.
Also, I made another reservation in RA to see if there was a check box I missed that caused the transaction, but there was no such box or any notification or mention of Active.com
I just got off the phone with Active to cancel this and they did it with no issue since I called them the next business day.
Happy Camping.
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted
17 REPLIES 17

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard of this before, it was mentioned that you must opt out or you are signed up automatically.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am wondering if you should notify the proper attorney General. Not that I think Floridia's will do anything. But I am thinking that just signing you up without a check box or other affirmative action by you is a form of FRAUD and thus Criminal.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Fair enough. I do wonder what happens if the pop-up is actually blocked.
Hopefully the OP was able to obtain a full refund without too much trouble.

If the website is configured for it then the pop-up won't show up because the blocker is enabled but it will still process the sign up(if the default is opt-in)and you would never know until you get the email or the charge.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

WVcampground
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

When you get right down to it they're doing you a favor and looking out for your well being by signing you up, maybe not so much your wallets well being? It's touted as "Designed to support and encourage active lifestyles". I guess that means no more sitting around guzzling beer. :B
"Now the Subaru with the โ€œcoexistโ€ sticker on the back doing 68 mph passing a semi thatโ€™s going 67mph in a 70 zone. Yeah Iโ€™ll slap the entitlement tag on them leaf lickers!" - Grit Dog - Warning, you may find the preceding offensive if you lick leaves.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

WVcampground
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
WVcampground wrote:
Deceptive? Maybe, maybe not.

This is on the Florida DEP website under Florida state park reservation information. You have to click on policies from this siteand it takes you right there. I guess folks just click, click, click, without reading rules, policies, or other info when making reservations?

It's not in what could be considered fine print.

OK and if there is a fee involved the fee needs to be right next to the opt in button.

If this is one of those promotional mailers that you need to opt out then it is deceptive.

The explanation should also include the eventual fee. Where is it?

When on the final page where you enter your CC info and click on "complete this purchase", then the active.com popup appears, which explains the terms (30 day trial, then billed $89), and gives you the option to accept or decline before making a final click to confirm the ressie. It spells it all out. I remember seeing it when making reservations late 2017.

What I can't remember is if you have to uncheck a box, or check a box, as it's been over a year since we made Florida reservations. I am certainly not going to make a reservation to find out. It's all spelled out in that popup. I guess folks just check or uncheck boxes without reading.

The bottom line is you should read everything before clicking buttons.
"Now the Subaru with the โ€œcoexistโ€ sticker on the back doing 68 mph passing a semi thatโ€™s going 67mph in a 70 zone. Yeah Iโ€™ll slap the entitlement tag on them leaf lickers!" - Grit Dog - Warning, you may find the preceding offensive if you lick leaves.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
WVcampground wrote:

This is on the Florida DEP website under Florida state park reservation information. You have to click on policies from this siteand it takes you right there. I guess folks just click, click, click, without reading rules, policies, or other info when making reservations?

OK and if there is a fee involved the fee needs to be right next to the opt in button.

If this is one of those promotional mailers that you need to opt out then it is deceptive.

The explanation should also include the eventual fee. Where is it?

WVcampground
Explorer
Explorer

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Freightguy wrote:
Of course something was clicked is error. I feel it is deceptive for them to even be allowed to insert their subscription option into the check out process. If it were not in the check out process and just advertised on the page somewhere that would be different. But to have it in the check out where it is normal to have to click check boxes to agree to things is down right wrong.

'deceptive' is imprecise but will do. what has been described is very similar to what some software distributors will do. when preparing to download some providers will, by default, have a box already checked signifying the user's agreeing to also download a second piece of software. look carefully before downloading anything.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freightguy wrote:
Of course something was clicked is error. I feel it is deceptive for them to even be allowed to insert their subscription option into the check out process. If it were not in the check out process and just advertised on the page somewhere that would be different. But to have it in the check out where it is normal to have to click check boxes to agree to things is down right wrong.

Completely agree. Any โ€œcompanyโ€ that has to trick people into signing up is peddling garbage.

Freightguy
Explorer
Explorer
2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Active dot come is a legitimate company that operates a service for online sales for many industries.

You probably clicked something at one time to "agree" to be charged. This would be the campground company, not the Active dot com, who was the origin to be charging you, and is the reason Active reversed the charge so quickly.

The good news is that credit card purchases can be reversed. Debit card spending is much harder to reverse as it is your money gone, not theirs.

I never sign up for anything that has wording for reoccurring charges, I run away fast.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Freightguy wrote:
Just a PSA for you. I recently got a charge on my credit card fr $89.95 to a company called Active.com for their advantage membership. I had no idea who they were but I have found their parent company may own Reserve America and the charge came from a reservation I made in FL using RA.
This is very disturbing to me that the Florida State Park dept would allow this to happen as well as Reserve America.
Also, I made another reservation in RA to see if there was a check box I missed that caused the transaction, but there was no such box or any notification or mention of Active.com
I just got off the phone with Active to cancel this and they did it with no issue since I called them the next business day.
Happy Camping.

this is precisely why I have purchase alerts on our CCs set to $1.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of deals out there - be careful what you click on - most times it is your error not deceptive of the company
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks