Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California registration of out of state RV

hries
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

Thinking of buying a 2004 HR 40' Diesel. It has Canada plates and owned by folks in Arizona. It was originally registered in AZ. They are going to take it to Phoenix customs to enter it to the US. Now I would like an idea of how much it will cost to register in Calif. I tried the DMV calculator but it doesn't recognize the Canadian plates and the VIN. I'm going to be getting it for 58k. Thanks for the Help!
HR Endeavor 40PRT
21 REPLIES 21

hries
Explorer
Explorer
I'm keeping the coach at my dad's place since I have no room for it.
HR Endeavor 40PRT

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not trying to be a total buzz kill but why was this MH so special. I am sure you could have found one in California for sale? I'm all for paying as little tax as you can (one of the reasons I moved from CA)

You probably only committed two or three crimes by registering it in AZ while being a CA resident. Just don't get caught driving it in CA!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

hries
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All, Since I'm retiring in just a couple years and plan to move to AZ, I decided to register the coach in AZ. They did have to import the coach at Customs at the airport. The they were told to get an emissions test.
HR Endeavor 40PRT

Community Alumni
Not applicable
JohnG3 wrote:
Should have said register as a Montana LLC and take possession outside the state of California.

IMO that will turn around and bite him in the rear being a California resident the state has and will continue to crack down on that. The OP just wants to know the costs involved in registering the RV and that he will find at the DMV but not sure that he can just walk into any office to get that info.

JimR

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3 wrote:
JimR 1 wrote:
hries wrote:
Thanks All for the help. It was made in the USA and registered here before a private party took it to Canada. The owner is going to take it to Phoenix customs to check it back into the States. I think I'm okay with the federal safety and emission standards. Not sure what Cali. might want. I'll try to get a hold of the DMV.

Does not matter if it was made in the USA and registered here (AZ) before!
What matters is it California Compliant? That is some thing you need to check on otherwise the great state of California will not register it.

JimR

Register in a Montana LLC.

If the OP is still working in CA this could cause a real problem. Another possible problem is that if he parks the coach at his residence. A jealous neighbor could (and knowing CA people)turn him into DMV.

I considered the LLC when I lived in Komifornia but the Montana attorney advised me against it for the above reasons. I elected to do the out of state delivery and kept it out of state the required amount of time. I did get questioned by BOE asking for proof of my out of state time. I had a stack of log book, receipts from fuel purchases, campgrounds, food, etc, which was supplied to BOE. All was in order and I owed zero use tax which saved me $25,000

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Should have said register as a Montana LLC and take possession outside the state of California.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
JimR 1 wrote:
hries wrote:
Thanks All for the help. It was made in the USA and registered here before a private party took it to Canada. The owner is going to take it to Phoenix customs to check it back into the States. I think I'm okay with the federal safety and emission standards. Not sure what Cali. might want. I'll try to get a hold of the DMV.

What matters is it California Compliant? That is some thing you need to check on otherwise the great state of California will not register it.

JimR

Register in a Montana LLC.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
JimR 1 wrote:
hries wrote:

JimR

Incorrect info!!..:(

When licensed in AZ (not Canada), NO problem bringing it into CA.

You will pay registration and Sales Tax on the sale price.
Depending on the county, sales tax is eight to 9 1/2 percent.
(A few counties are at 10%)

If you're not still working in CA, explore the "CA 90 day rule" (which is now one year) to *legally* avoid paying the sales tax.
(You will have to keep it -and prove you used it- outside of CA for one year to the Franchise Tax Board).

:C

Community Alumni
Not applicable
hries wrote:

JimR

hries
Explorer
Explorer
PatrickA51 wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
If you belong to AAA, use them to do your paperwork. Much easier than trying to get answers from the DMV

It might be worth the AAA membership fee to get the paperwork done.

That's a good call! I'm going to join AAA today.....Thanks!
HR Endeavor 40PRT

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
If you belong to AAA, use them to do your paperwork. Much easier than trying to get answers from the DMV

It might be worth the AAA membership fee to get the paperwork done.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer

hries
Explorer
Explorer
HR Endeavor 40PRT

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the emission sticker on the vehicle. It should be somewhere in the engine compartment and hopefully is still legible.
Puma 30RKSS