cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cam lock spins

UncleAl
Explorer
Explorer
Some cam locks on my 2001 Winnebago Itasca Spirit have rounded out their holes so the lock cylinder just spins in the hole. The previous owner just cranked the cylinder nut tighter causing the fibreglass to crack. The compartment door is just foam fiberglass sandwich, so the only thing that ever gave the hole any substance is the thin fibreglass.

Anyone have any experience repairing their cam lock holes?
10 REPLIES 10

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Just remembered something.. I think I've seen these with 4 teeth. (more teath better)

cam lock washer bites into wood

That same site has plates as well:

Cam lock plates

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just remembered something.. I think I've seen these with 4 teeth. (more teath better)

cam lock washer bites into wood
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some camlocks take circular holes. Other camlocks take double-d holes. If the camlock needs a double-d hole but only has a large circular hole and the gasket material that was holding it fails, you need a more secure mounting.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems that my camlocks were installed by drilling circular holes. The gasket material has been enough to hold the locks in place. I don't see the need for any modifications to the compartment doors.

UncleAl
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all.
I like the aluminum plate on the inside idea!

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is an example of a replacement lock that shows the correct hole shape, and it also comes with an metal spiked "washer" to lock the cylinder in place.

https://www.ultimatesecuritydevices.com/Ultimate-Security-Devices--Extra-long-weather-resistant-2-18...

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
JimK-NY wrote:
I have no idea what you mean by rounded out camlock holes. My camlock barrels are circular and fit into circular holes drilled through the compartment doors. Rubber gaskets/washers prevent the lock mechanisms from spinning in the holes.

If the gasket/washers are missing you can replace them or you could even use star washers which would bite into the compartment doors and prevent the locks from spinning.

Most cam locks are in a double d hole. I would agree that the easiest way is to use a piece of aluminum with a double d hole to back up the inside but I would use double stick film like indoor/outdoor carpet tape. Weatherproof and has lots of holding power.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no idea what you mean by rounded out camlock holes. My camlock barrels are circular and fit into circular holes drilled through the compartment doors. Rubber gaskets/washers prevent the lock mechanisms from spinning in the holes.

If the gasket/washers are missing you can replace them or you could even use star washers which would bite into the compartment doors and prevent the locks from spinning.

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
I have had mine round out. I took a thin square piece of aluminum made an oblong hole to match the lock and put it on the inside of the door and held it in place with pop rivets.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing going on with my old trailer. I sold the trailer before dealing with it.

If I did deal with, I would have sandwiched a piece of aluminum between the foam and fiberglass. I would use a good bonding epoxy like JB weld or something similar. Clamp it good while drying.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln