cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper got hailed on last night

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
Had a pretty good hail storm last night, did pretty good damage to two of our vehicles. Our new camper, which is this,

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/wolf-pup/16BHS/1330

also got some damage, the side that was facing the south has dents, and the front area that faces up also has dents. I haven't been able to do a close inspection of the roof yet, I can see the roof form the house about 30ft. away and I don't see anything obvious, but I'm going to get the ladder out so I can make an up close inspection.

My question is, what do I need to look for on the roof? Should I take it to the dealer we bought it from and have them inspect it? I'm guessing I'm probably going to have to take it there to get an estimate for my insurance company. However our county is on lockdown right now so I'm not sure when that can happen.

Never been though this processes so not sure exactly what to do.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
My truck and 5er got hit July 16 2016 when in storage at Pueblo while the house was being built but my residents/insurance was still in Az. I was with Farmers for 40+ years but they still treated me very badly. The estimator low balled me, big time, on the truck and he probably thought I would pocket the money and not have it fixed. I surprised him and they had to pay the shop for the true cost. Then I went to pick up the truck and the shop put on an aftermarkets hood that didn't fit worth a hoot, on Farmers orders and nobody told me, so I made them redo that with a oem hood. I can't believe how chicken spit the ins. companies are getting. It was over $14k in the end.
Good Luck with your repairs! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
About four years ago we got hit in a hailstorm outsie Dallas.

The roof held up very well. The outer layer of the shower skylite was holed. Several plastic items around the trailer were damaged. Clearance light covers, TV input cover, etc. Insurance adjuster took off her shoes and walked over the roof covering basically every square inch. She found no tears or cuts in the roof fabric. Felt no weakend spots.

My TT has fiberglass sides and no damage except two pieces of the graphics wre damaged. Lower aluminum skirting was dimpled quite a bit on the upwind side.

Several rigs were totaled in the COE . A 'SportsCoach' Class A DP a hundred feet from us had both AC's basically destroyed. Covers torn apart. Coils bend and holed.

We were very lucky. Now my truck, another matter. First estimate was $4,200. Final bill which required two long stays in the shop, for almost 65 days - Was over $14,000.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
great advice ,double check things.

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
here's my suggestions:

Cars: pretty straight forward, they will give you an estimate and usually a check on the spot. Most repairs will be paintless dent repair, unless the paint is damaged, or its severe damage. You should look over the car for any cracks in the paint, especially for dents on edges, near body lines, or deep dents, cracked paint will require conventional repair and its easily overlooked. Take your car to a reputable shop, they will go back to the insurer for supplemental repair costs if its more than what the insurer gives you.

House: If you know a reputable roofer, have them present when the adjuster is there, they will help get the initial claim to cover everything needed. You should also be covered for things like dented gutters, chipped paint/siding, torn screens, broken patio furniture, broken window frames, etc. If you have a mortgage, the check will be made out to you and the bank. Every bank has their own process for how they pay the money out.

Trailer: You will most likely need to take this to a dealer for an estimate, your insurance company will give you instructions on this. You can have this done before or after the adjuster looks at it. Siding repairs are expensive, so be prepared for an expensive repair estimate. As far as the roof, check for broken/cracked skylights, tape these up so they don't leak until you can get them replaced. Also check the top of the awning, the fabric is often damaged, other than that look for broken or damaged a/c cover, refrig vent cover, lights, trim etc. You may want to call the dealer first, some charge for estimates, some don't.

My suggestion is to look everything over in advance so the adjuster gets as much as possible in the initial claim. Also keep receipts for any temporary repairs you make, these are reimbursable.
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
We had golf ball to baseball size, was quite loud in the house when it was coming down.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Oral communication and insurance donโ€™t mix. I said, he said, she said, they said.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JoshuaH
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just got off the phone with my insurance agent, he recommended that I have the dealer give me a repair estimate on the camper, but they are going to look directly at my vehicles and roof of my house.

H__Cramer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm over here in St. Peters, Mo. just West of St. Charles.
Got woke up at 2 something, Hail but mine was Pee sized.
Two new cars in the Drive not a mark on them.
At Menard's shopping today, lady from Wright City said she had Marble sized the bigger ones.

Wish you luck

H.
Out

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
Have the insurance adjuster look at, not an RV dealer.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry! Take a bunch of pictures. Submit a claim or notification to the insurance company online today. Ask for their guidance. Keep a copy of your claim notification. Protect your RV from water damage. Iโ€™d use a plastic tarp on the roof.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad