cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping at 27 degrees.

shannon62
Explorer
Explorer
We are new fulltimers,with 2007 bounder class a 38v. We are trying to stick around sw p.a. till thanksgiving, they are calling for low around 27 degrees. We have ducted heat,2 furnaces,with supposed basement heat so say's owners manual. I am going to disconnect from shore water and just use fresh tank,keep heat on 70,leave luggage lights on (1156) in wet storage,leave gray water open as always & empty black then shut and add antifreeze.Should that be good enough ?Thanks Shannon.
62 REPLIES 62

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Grit, Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
spoon059 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Pffft, real world advice is overrrated...you've been a member of rvnet long enough to realize that! LOL
Cheers!

Yea, I should know by now, but I'm stubborn...

Happy Thanksgiving spoon! And stay safe out there on the streets of DC!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Pffft, real world advice is overrrated...you've been a member of rvnet long enough to realize that! LOL
Cheers!

Yea, I should know by now, but I'm stubborn...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
We were in far South Texas in February 2021 when the big freeze hit and the electricity went out and Ted Cruz went to Cancun. I think it got down to the 20s, but I'm not sure. I had 2 propane tanks in a 32 foot Class A, but I think I was down to one tank. We went through that last tank in a few hours that night, and I didn't have the thermostat set that warm inside. About 3 AM I woke up and the furnace was blowing cold air. But fortunately we had 2 electric heaters and our area didn't lose electricity so it didn't get too bad. If we had lost electricity we would've been sleeping in the Jeep with its motor and heater running. The point of this rambling is you can run through propane fast on a cold night.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
spoon059 wrote:

By all means, do whatever you want to do with your camper and your money. I was replying to the OP who was looking for real world advice.

Cheers!

On a similar note, I've really been wanting to try one of those China bomb little diesel heaters for my snomachine trailer.
As I use a Buddy heater sometimes if need to warm it up on the mountain or a milkhouse heater and box fan to dry everything out at home after riding (since it doesn't get below freezing much here).
If only I needed to do that more than a couple times a year....sigh...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the Espar, is the combustion chamber inside the living space of the TC, or outside of it?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
All things equal the relative humidity drops with increased temperature. This is why the cold window or a cold beer sweats. The air in proximity cools and becomes more humid to the point the moisture actually precipitates out of the air and onto the item.

Same effect no matter the heat source.

Unvented combustion of any hydrocarbon produces moisture. Wiki has the chemistry if someone needs to see it.

I have no interest in the chemistry. I've camped in the cold weather using electric heat and I've camped in the cold weather with propane heat. Electric is cheaper. Electric has a lot less condensation buildup. Electric is quieter. Electric is more even temperature.

By all means, do whatever you want to do with your camper and your money. I was replying to the OP who was looking for real world advice.

To toss my 2c in.
Ive been using Espar diesel heater in my TC and its totaly dry heat,no condensation.
Used couple galons a week in Northern Alberta.

blt2ski
Jerry,
Have a picture somewhere of "floof the bear" with my at the time 15 month old grand daughter. Mr Bear is OVER 200 lbs
They can get really BIG!
My two were small!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
blt2ski wrote:
Jerry,

Yes had all 6 of us in the trailer. Not mention two Alaska malamutes at 80 and 120 lb.
I'm sure all of us breathing helped to make more moisture in a 25' TT. None less, all the things mentioned would also add to the amount of moisture on the windows etc.

Marty

Hey Marty...those are some big pups, a trailer load, all-in! :C

Here's a pic of my snowmobiling, dirt biking, canyon racing buddy, with his Alaska Malamute, to give other members, an idea of the size of these gentle giants.

Jerry

blt2ski
Jerry,

Yes had all 6 of us in the trailer. Not mention two Alaska malamutes at 80 and 120 lb.
I'm sure all of us breathing helped to make more moisture in a 25' TT. None less, all the things mentioned would also add to the amount of moisture on the windows etc.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
All things equal the relative humidity drops with increased temperature. This is why the cold window or a cold beer sweats. The air in proximity cools and becomes more humid to the point the moisture actually precipitates out of the air and onto the item.

Same effect no matter the heat source.

Unvented combustion of any hydrocarbon produces moisture. Wiki has the chemistry if someone needs to see it.

I have no interest in the chemistry. I've camped in the cold weather using electric heat and I've camped in the cold weather with propane heat. Electric is cheaper. Electric has a lot less condensation buildup. Electric is quieter. Electric is more even temperature.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dedmiston
Veebyes wrote:
Point the thing south & don't stop until you no longer see bridge freezing before road warnings or no snow blowers outside of Lowes or Home Depot.

Sooo... Belize or Guatamala, somewhere down there? :B

I see those "bridge freezes before the rest of the world does" signs just about everywhere in the U.S. except maybe Florida.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
JMO with only a few nights experience in the 30s but RVs are not good places to be in cold weather. Out of the factory they are not made for it.

Cold air leaks in around slides. Walls are thin. Glass is single pane & radiates the cold. Without some serious post construction mods they are simply no up to dealing with the cold.

You can put up a good fight against cold but it will take alot of electricity & alot of propane.

Point the thing south & don't stop until you no longer see bridge freezing before road warnings or no snow blowers outside of Lowes or Home Depot.

Been using a trailer as a home office for going on 3 years now in NE Ohio, put some Reflectix in the windows and vent covers in the vents is the only mod I've made. It works just fine and when I was using a combination of propane and one electric heater I was going through a 20 pound bottle a week on average, now that I've upgraded my electric at home to 50A and run 3x electric heaters I barely use any propane. The one caveat is that the water system is winterized and the temp is allowed to go down to 45 when I'm not actively using the trailer, I've got enough foodstuff in that I don't want it to freeze and it takes too long for the electric heat to recover if it gets too cold.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JMO with only a few nights experience in the 30s but RVs are not good places to be in cold weather. Out of the factory they are not made for it.

Cold air leaks in around slides. Walls are thin. Glass is single pane & radiates the cold. Without some serious post construction mods they are simply no up to dealing with the cold.

You can put up a good fight against cold but it will take alot of electricity & alot of propane.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995