cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping World online...........Seriously?

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I generally limit my CW purchases to stopping in one of their stores, while traveling. This is almost always done to replace something RV related that's broken, and needs to be replaced immediately.

While renewing my Good Sam membership, I noticed an offer for essentially getting a second year for free, as the two year plan came with a $25 gift certificate. Since I needed new sewer hoses, I took this option. When the certificate arrived, I went online and bought a hose kit. Not factoring the certificate, the kit plus shipping was 7% more expensive that ordering it from Amazon Prime. Not a huge deal, less than four bucks in the end. The amazing part is that it took ELEVEN days to arrive. Four days after placing the order, they sent an email that it was shipped. (great job there, BTW, no rush, when others get product out the door in minutes to hours, I'm sure that most of a week is totally fine, eh?) Seven days later it arrived. If I were to place the same order with Amazon at this moment, it would not only be cheaper, Amazon will have it on my porch by 6 PM tomorrow!

It might be time for Marcus to give some thought to finding whoever is in charge of the online sales mess, ask them to change out of their parachute pants, turn their cassette Walkman off, and head out into the world. Maybe find some of those "hipster, millenial" folks with those shiny little computers in their hands, and ask a few questions. Things have changed a bit in the last few decades, and having an online presence that performs like it's 1999 is a great way to alienate customers. I can say for sure that I'll never waste time ordering anything else from the online CW store.

To put this in perspective, I can remember being a kid, FORTY years ago, and calling the west coast from PA. I would order bike parts from a black and white newsprint catalog, and hand the phone to my dad, so he could put it on his credit card. Six or seven days later, the parts would be at the front door. Almost half a century later and CW can't do better than eleven days? Amazon and others are doing deliveries in hours in some markets and testing nearly instant drone delivery. CW is apparently longing for the 1940s, and testing various mules and horses to fine tune their delivery system.
40 REPLIES 40

soren
Explorer
Explorer
1968mooney wrote:
And here are the same complainers expressing their opinions on things most people care nothing about. Since you know how to order cheaper and faster, why don't you take your own advise and order from Amazon. Quit complaining about CW as you have been doing for the past 10 yrs. You would think a reasonable person would learn in this amount of time. Maybe its true, you can't fix STUPID.

Full disclosure: This poster is a dedicated apologist for any CW related discussions, and has been for many years. You have been totally screwed over by a CW RV purchase or service? Express your frustration and disappointment on a new thread, and get a few dozen like minded responses, until this guy chimes in an tells you how wrong you are, and should not be disrespecting his God-King Marcus, on this forum.

You might find it hard to believe 1968whatever, but your act really gets old.................

pismopete
Explorer
Explorer
jarata1 wrote:
lazydays wrote:
I'm trying to figure out your beef with CW. Sounds like to me you should be complaining about the carrier. Was this UPS, Fed EX, ect....

What does the carrier have to do with how long it takes for CW to get it ready

You just proved that.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DiskDoctr wrote:
This thread sounds like a good candidate for "Undercover Boss" visit by CW execs.

Get the real scoop why actual seasoned campers avoid CW. But apparently there is a new "one born every second" so why bother trying?
I saw Lemonis on the now defunct "Secret Millionaire" TV show a few years back. Not impressed. He now has his own show "The Profit". I wouldn't watch it even if it was the last TV show available on the planet. I have no interest in his profound business knowledge (or lack thereof).

Like other people in this world, there will always be CW believers that support it all and would follow the leader over a cliff...

They had KOA and the CEO on Undercover Boss once. It was more of a marketing pitch where they showed a few of the "nice" KOA CGs. Some undercover bosses on the show are there simply for the exposure they or their company gets (ML would fit in this category) or are trying to prop up failing businesses.

On the subject of carriers, I opt for the postal service over couriers anytime I can. Often cheaper and usually faster IME. And couriers won't insure some items like auto parts while the post office will. I avoid UPS (aka "oops") like the plague wherever possible. I'm always blown away when I get a package from Amazon in just a couple of days. I remember the olden days of ebay when shipping would take weeks if you were lucky and sometimes you had to hound a seller to actually get it shipped and could sometimes take a couple of months.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
RTCastillo wrote:
Just for clarification, Amazon Prime does not mean you'll always get Prime 2-day shipment. Amazon will tell you in the product listing if the item is available for prime 2-day shipment and it's because the product is Amazon fulfilled -- meaning, it's distributed in their warehouses all over the country.

Some Amazon sellers are Chinese and that's some 7 to 14 days to arrive.

Very true. Buyers need to dig deep enough to guaranty you get the 2 day or whatever Prime is advertising.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
This thread sounds like a good candidate for "Undercover Boss" visit by CW execs.

Get the real scoop why actual seasoned campers avoid CW. But apparently there is a new "one born every second" so why bother trying?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good experience returning a product to CW purchased from their online store. It was one of those retractable pet leashes that you pound into the ground. It stopped retracting after one use. They happily sent me a new one, although that one stopped working my last trip a week ago.

I recently needed a telescoping 10.5 ft ladder. The one on CW's site is 214.99 - on sale, and is inferior to the one I found on Amazon for 73.99 that also came with a very nice storage bag. Both locations were free shipping.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
myredracer wrote:
I don't know why people buy from CW online anyway (or in their stores for that matter). Their online stuff is always on sale but you can just about always find it cheaper elsewhere online and often by quite a bit. Item descriptions can be lacking important or useful info. Then there's their lousy customer service, shipping and returns policy.

No lies in any of that, and add to it the usually lousy RV service and sleezy sales tactics, and there you have it. Even this board operates on antiquated forum software.

Yes it's a forum and people complain on forums but almost never praise, but the amount of negative posts about all things CW here and at every other board has to tell you something? I just started the stopwatch. How long will it take for this to be deleted?
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Just for clarification, Amazon Prime does not mean you'll always get Prime 2-day shipment. Amazon will tell you in the product listing if the item is available for prime 2-day shipment and it's because the product is Amazon fulfilled -- meaning, it's distributed in their warehouses all over the country.

Some Amazon sellers are Chinese and that's some 7 to 14 days to arrive.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yeah - CW lacks CS on parts sales ... that's for certain. We made an appointment to discuss satellite purchase and set up. We asked for a knowledgeable Tech to discuss it - yes, an appointment.

We arrived, no one there to chat with us - none of the techs 'were available' today. Eventually, a kid comes out, and we assume OK, a kid that knows tech - we often get surprised what tech whiz kids know, right? - So, this one turns out to be on a learning curve, from Zero to Ten, he's about a minus three ... so, I get the manager, and she says: We don't have anyone that can explain satellite, but if you buy it, I'll give you ten percent off.

Well, we didn't know exactly what to buy, because the tech appointment we made to "know that" didn't exist. Finally, the manager apologizes, and says "Anything you buy today, we'll give you an extra ten percent off."

So, we go get some tank odor cleaner and a few supplies -- go to the register, and she comes over and asks, "Got your membership number?" --- "Nope, we're not members." --- "Oh," she says well then, I can't give you the discount." And she walks away. St Augustine store, and we never went back, and never will to CW. That's not the only time we got poor service at CW - Texas also, twice - so we don't waste our time with that company, even tho we do enjoy the RV.net forum it sponsors and guys that participate.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I won't shop anywhere but Amazon Prime. It might take a few mins to find it on Prime but I almost always get it when they say I will. Doesn't really bother me if once in awhile an order takes a day longer. 9 days is stupid long. No reason for that. I don't have a CW near me and wouldn't go there if I did. I don't have any stores near me other than RV dealerships that carry parts. Only go to them as a last resort or if I need it yesterday.
Walmarts only stock the basics. Google the part, look for Prime an place the order. Too simple.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
I cancelled my prime when they took 11 days for me to get a prime ship and i got told it was two days from day of ship NOT from time of purchase

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I checked Walmart.com for something about 2 weeks ago or so. Shipping time is still abysmal. Many DAYS for ship to store even.

Then they want to play "magic 8 ball" with pricing. In store one price, online another, matched pricing might be different but stores stopped doing this, etc.

No time for "land mine shopping" Lots of room for improvements.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Not sticking up for CW but 11 days is not that bad, I have had other places take longer than 11 days, I just ordered a new prop for my boat on Amazon and my order will take up to 9 days, so even Amazon can be slow at certain orders.
Yes I am even a prime member and still have to wait 9 days on this order.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
I see Prime prices going up. How does WalMart compare to using Prime?
walmart.com is just like non-prime Amazon only I think it ships faster. Once I didn't renew Prime I got really tired of my Amazon orders sitting around for 3 of 4 days without shipping. Walmart ships very quickly and their returns are great - click print a return label, and as soon as the post office scans it in a credit is issued to your card.

I just had an issue with one of their third party vendors on an $800 purchase that arrived damaged. Walmart and the vendor worked through it and resolved it to my satisfaction. I've pretty much switched from Amazon to Walmart.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36