cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can RVers get the cash price for diesel at Flying J/Pilot?

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
Can RVers still get the cash price for diesel at Flying J/Pilot? Is the only way to get the cash price at the truck pumps is to be a Good Sam member now?

If I have to be a Good Sam member now I'll just block up their RV lane for the 15 to 20 minutes it takes to fill my tank.
22 REPLIES 22

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
We're getting ready for a long trip and we usually use Pilot/Flying J.

Can someone please verify which card(s) enable us to use the TRUCK lanes without having to go inside and prepay?
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
We simply use our rewards card, in most any lane but the truck lane and fill up. three cents per gallon and with the auxiliary tank I total about 70 gallons. usually save about $15 or so for our shorter trips. Even more savings if I plan out the trip so I don't buy in areas where cost is more. go onto the website of pilot/flying j and plan your fill ups. on a larger trip, we usually save around $25 or so, usually more as we fill up out of town or where prices are about ten cents less. Plus the extra gas gives us the flexibility to go off the beaten path when and where we want without worry about needing to fill up. The auxiliary tank I purchased was a good investment and has just about paid for itself over a couple years. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get 5% off with my pen fed card so that is better then the few cents off of the card. Go ask for a frequent fueled card. They had them for truckers I think too. Have to pump 500 gallons on the card before the auto start feature worked but that was easy to hit with a 200 gallon tank. I like the truck lanes as they are fast pumps but sometimes they are stacked up and then I hit the RV lanes.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not going to worry about a few cents here and there. Hit the truck stop at the time I need fuel, hit the truck lanes the wife goes inside and pays and of course shops while I am fueling. I give her a call then hangup indicating I am done so she can pay. I pull ahead she finishes in side then comes out with her purchases and we are on our way!

Easy off and back on the freeway.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
I think I still have my old RV card somewhere. I called them in the past year or two to ask how to get my RV card activated so I could do pump start at the truck pumps. They said they would no longer activate old cards to do that. I had to get one of the new Good Sam cards.

I called Pilot Flying J today and they confirmed there is no other option for an RV card if you are not a Good Sam member.

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the old Flying J card it will still work. You will get the cash price and $.03 off the price. The non-credit card Good Sam card will only give $.03 off but you pay the credit price. The credit card give the cash price and the amount off depends on if you are a Good Sam member. I have been using my old Flying J card for the last 2 years and have not had a problem with it. If you don't have the old card then you have to be a Good Sam member to get a card.
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Pilot/FlyingJ plus card. We always use the truck lanes. They fill faster than the rv lanes. We have them take it out of our checking account so we have a 2500 dollar limit, otherwise you get a 1,000 dollar limit. If we hit the limit we just pay the bill and are good for another 2500. We get 7 cents off the cash price.

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
Pilot Flying J's website states you need to be a Good Sam member to get the discount card. I guess I will have to call them. I only want the card to get the cash price at the truck pumps and for the pump start feature. I am not so concerned about the discount.

Yes, you can pay a little less off the beaten path, but since we are short on time and the entire trip is on I-80 it just isn't worth it trying to find a station to save a few bucks. If we have to drive 3 miles off the interstate we burn at least a gallon of fuel for the round trip. Saving five cents a gallon would just cover the extra fuel expense. There is also the issue that our rig is 67 feet long with trailer.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
TenOC wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
for years I've got the cash price at pilot/flying J using my pen fed visa gas card. It has never charged me the credit card price. Get the cash price and a 5% rebate every month as well. even better than paying cash.

Also + 3 cents off with FJ RV card.

yup it all adds up when you travel a lot. between Kroger's rewards, flying J, Penfed we save a lot on fuel.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Again, only slightly off-topic ๐Ÿ™‚

Even with the alleged "discounts", FJ is rarely the best price choice.

Go to gasbuddy.com to determine up to day pricing. And yes, there is a separate diesel section.

FJ lost my business years ago.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
for years I've got the cash price at pilot/flying J using my pen fed visa gas card. It has never charged me the credit card price. Get the cash price and a 5% rebate every month as well. even better than paying cash.

Also + 3 cents off with FJ RV card.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

kgragert
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I was at Flying J, their free card would get you the discount at the gas pumps without a Goodsam card.

They had a big ad campaign for their Flying J branded discount card.
The card was free and it also offered 10% off all purchases inside the store.
I thought when I retired my Hobby would be RVing.
I was wrong, my Hobby apparently is Finding and stopping leaks.

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
jmckelvy wrote:
I usually use the auto lanes. I swipe my MC then swipe my RV Rewards card. I get diesel for 3 cents (I think) off the cash price. The RV Rewards card is NOT a charge card and is free.

Everything I can find about the RV Rewards cards is that you have to be a Good Sam member now to get one. I would like to find a way to get the cash price at the truck pumps without being a Good Sam member.

I want to use a credit card because I get 5% back plus I am NOT carrying $2000 in cash for fuel.

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
If you're filling your tanks, the RV pump is working at the rate they are designed to perform. The longer you're running that pump, the happier they are. Blocking a truck lane to put 30 or 40 gallons of diesel in you RV is another story. You're taking the space of a trucker that buys several hundred gallons of fuel at a time.

My tank is 150 gallons. I usually put in around 120 gallons when I fuel up so I'm not really taking away from sales to a truck. My RV is a converted coach bus so it was designed to fuel at the truck pumps.