cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you buy a non-China bomb tire for a trailer?

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
I want to get new tires for a trailer with 13" tires. Is there a 13" trailer tire not made in China? I've read too many stories of Chinese trailer tires blowing out to want any on my trailer. It doesn't save any money when you keep having to replace tires and $150 fenders destroyed by blown out tires.

The Goodyear Endurance tires are not available in 13" unfortunately.
27 REPLIES 27

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
I asked the dealer about going to a 14" wheel and they didn't know if it would fit. It should only be 1/2" closer to the fender in theory, but no idea how much clearance there is at full compression of the torsion axle.

Personally, I have never had a trailer tire fail except when punctured by road debris so maybe I wouldn't have issues with a China tire. I have only used Maxxis or Goodyear Marathon for a long time. Not sure if the most recent Marathons were China or USA. (Only thing Walmart had when on the road.) I have TPMS on my trailer tires and keep them aired up. Maybe the folks with failures were not keeping them inflated.

I might just go with Maxxis and hope they are still made in Thailand. If I switch to 14" wheels to go with Goodyear Endurance I have to buy three wheels and tires to have a spare.

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
belfert wrote:
I want to get new tires for a trailer with 13" tires. Is there a 13" trailer tire not made in China? I've read too many stories of Chinese trailer tires blowing out to want any on my trailer. It doesn't save any money when you keep having to replace tires and $150 fenders destroyed by blown out tires.

The Goodyear Endurance tires are not available in 13" unfortunately.

Any chance you can go to a 14" wheel?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
All C-bombs are not created equal, try Carlisle HD, or Provider (made overseas) but US based company, with good reputation, and 81 mph speed rated. See them, read about, at E-trailer.

Jerry

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My utility trailer trailer is a single axle and it has auto tires on it. Not a hint of problems and we've had that trailer for quite a long time now.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Can order them at Walmart. Don't know where they are made.
Marathon
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Either Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis tires will serve you well and are not China bombs.

As stated the endurance dont come in 13" if you read the first post.

Even the marathons in that size I believe are from china. Although it shows can be US too... It is what it is..

Myself I dont think there is such thing as a china bomb... I have got good use out of my factory Jaxxon china made 14" tires.

Check air often, dont hit curbs or debris and you should be good. Dont overload...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Either Goodyear Endurance or Maxxis tires will serve you well and are not China bombs.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing wrong with P rated tires on a trailer.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
I had good year marathons on my 2003 trailers. 13" They were original and over 10 years old before I replaced them.. Bought the trailer that way. They looked new with no dry rot. I did one season and replaced after a valve stem leaked.

I believe they are 75mph rated.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/goodyear-marathon/p/30556
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The 13" part is likely your weak point. If you changed to 14", you could get Goodyear Endurance. If you could go all the way up to 15", you would have a lot of options in an LT.

I know people beat on Chinese tires regularly, but I have had Marathon's that were made in both the USA and Canada blow out just like everything else. That said, I put Endurance on my boat trailer, and it handles significantly better than with the non-name brand that were on as OEM.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Bedlam
I am wary of using them on a multi-axle trailer due to the forces on the sidewalls, but on a single axle you really only need to worry about sufficient weight capacity and choosing a tread that will track well.

If the bolt pattern is a common size and you have sufficient fender clearance, you might think about going up in tire diameter and capacity in one of the stock trailer wheel sizes.

My enclosed trailer used four LRD 15" tires and when they wore out I went with the same size LRE to give me better wear and puncture resistance. If I didn't find these ST tires, I was going to use a taller tire with more capacity but had to be careful to go too tall and rub when under load.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

belfert
Explorer
Explorer
It is a single axle trailer, but I thought you aren't supposed to put passenger tires on a trailer?

I think Maxxis trailer tires are made in Thailand so maybe I will just have to use Maxxis.

Bedlam
Can you find P-rated tires in that size with sufficient weight rating? I'm assuming this is a single axle trailer that does not have tire scrub in turns.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD