cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clothes organizing ideas

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
I need some ideas of how to organize my kids clothes when we're traveling in our travel trailer.

In the main bedroom, there is enough room for my husband and I's clothes. But what I've been using for the boys is the pantry to the side of the refrigerator. There is a closet type storage with a clothes rod but no shelving. Next to that is another cabinet the same length and width but has 5 shelves. But one of those shelves I try to store our bath towels.

Do you guys have any tips or tricks you use or have found to organize more clothes? There are 5 of us so it's the 3 boys I'm trying to figure out. The shelves sort of work but then it becomes a mess, pulling clothes and putting them back while searching for specific clothes etc.
22 REPLIES 22

Don___Barb_Bogu
Explorer
Explorer
These problems will all solve themselves. The dogs will get old and have to be put down. The boys will discover girls and won't want to travel with the old folks. A few years of empty nest, then the grandkids will go with you, and bring their dogs along. Aint life Wonderfull...

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Try to avoid hard-sided containers - they are harder to fit in tight spaces. Try using a duffel/"barrel bag" for clothing - it can live right on the bunk if needed, makes a decent pillow to lean against (not so much for sleeping on...), Can fit along side their legs at night against a wall, or get stuffed in the shower if not needed.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Animal storage hammocks???? What kind of animal gets stored in a hammock?

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
We used stuffed animal storage hammocks in/over the bunk space before the kids grew up and started having their own kids.

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered a 3 shelf hanging closet organizer. I'm also going to buy a car trunk organizer for the closet on my side of the bed. I've been using a tote bag for my blow dryer, makeup bag, lotions etc and it's a mess and I'm forever digging in that bag looking for things. Hopefully the addition of those two things will help some!

Rog___Nan
Explorer
Explorer
We started in a pop up and we have always used collapseble crates. One for each person. They got stacked and filled on their long side just like a shelf. Now in the MH still use the crates as they fit in one of the closests 4 high. Kids knew how to pack the crates as if it were a shelf in a closet carry it out and stack them. Still works great for friends or family joining us.
Rog & Nan
'96 Cruise Master
32' no slide (love it)
'2010 Vue Saturn Toad
Roadmaster Tow & Brake
Banks Power

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Dottie5 wrote:
Thanks all! I'm really trying to be better organized after almost 3yrs of doing this!! It's taken that many trips that the disorganization is driving me nuts and it must be better this time. Especially now that the boys are getting bigger. It's like having 5 adult sized people in a 31ft travel trailer. Bodies are bigger, clothes are bigger and take more space. Plus we take our dogs. That's a lot of living beings in one space!!

That is a lot! Do the places you camp allow tents? The boys could have their own 'room/s'. Then the bunks could become storage areas.

We're fine. Of course a big fifth wheel would be nicer but then that would require a different tow vehicle ๐Ÿ˜„

Surprisingly, we do pretty well. Everyone is fairly agreeable, even the teenagers. They're always so glad to get out and road trip, they're happy and make pleasant bunk mates. It's the dogs I could do without ๐Ÿ˜‰ But the whole purpose was to save money traveling and kenneling 2 dogs is close to $100 per night and the dogs hate it. So that was always the plan. But if I could eliminate those traveling companions, I'd be gold!

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Dottie5 wrote:
Thanks all! I'm really trying to be better organized after almost 3yrs of doing this!! It's taken that many trips that the disorganization is driving me nuts and it must be better this time. Especially now that the boys are getting bigger. It's like having 5 adult sized people in a 31ft travel trailer. Bodies are bigger, clothes are bigger and take more space. Plus we take our dogs. That's a lot of living beings in one space!!

That is a lot! Do the places you camp allow tents? The boys could have their own 'room/s'. Then the bunks could become storage areas.

This is a good idea. I see a lot of people doing it when traveling as a family.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Dottie5 wrote:

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
We use the pantry, we added white wire shelves that we got at the container store and they stack....

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of people use packing cubes when travelling with suitcases. I think they could work well for keeping like items together in the RV. Get the larger ones and use one for socks, one for underwear, one for Tshirts.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do use one of those canvas clothes shelving things! The pouches help keep different types of clothing organized. Again we roll the clothing and then put the rolls in the canvas organizer.

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
I think what I'll do is try to clean out or reorganize the pantry with the clothes hanging bar and hang one of those canvas clothes shelving things. That's really the only thing I can think of. And most of that is unused space anyway - very inefficient.