cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cold weather, generators, and campgrounds

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I were at Yellowstone the past few days at NPS campground Madison, which is run by Xanterra. It was pretty cold and snowy for several days, not extreme, but a little "rough" for mid-October.

The campground rules are no generators btwn 8pm - 8am. There were many in the campground that ran their generators intermittently all through night. My question is this:

Is this complete disregard for the rules and FELLOW CAMPERS acceptable in light of the conditions?
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell
63 REPLIES 63

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
And another 4 pages of proof of how fickle some people can beโ€ฆ.
Call LEOs at 2:30am because of a generator running? Seriously?
Was it rude? Yes, sounds like it.
Although 15deg with a wind could suck down a camper battery pretty quick if unprepared.
But then weโ€™re not all the โ€œperfectly preparedโ€ campers that the rvnet royalty profess to be.
Would it be more palatable if you knew some of the gennys were running to keep someoneโ€™s newborn baby warm while the new parents were trying to experience camping? (This argument is like the wdh argument, can never be too safe, right? Lol)
Or would it be ok if it was a couple old folks who needed to stay warm or their cpap died? (Cpaps ARE figuratively the wdhs of the medical worldโ€ฆhahaha)

Or is it better to sit in anger and just โ€œknowโ€ that some delinquent is running their genny just to ruin your night and theyโ€™re probably playing xbox at 2 am and thatโ€™s what used up their battery?

See, many different scenarios.
All are a rude reason, inherently, to disturb others, so maybe should call the cops!!

Maybe Iโ€™m blessed to be a heavy sleeper. Or maybe I just have more/more important things to worry about and occupy my time with. So maybe itโ€™s just meโ€ฆ

All those sad stories stopped to camp for 1 night and were replaced by another group of equally sad stories the next night. People are depending on breaking the campground rules to accommodate their style of travel at the material expense of others.

People seem to find that breaking, bending, or changing the rules to make themselves happy at the expense of others is pretty much the order of the day. This isn't just an rv problem by any means.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skibane wrote:
Why on earth would you leave your water heater on overnight?

Are you prone to sleep-showering?

I already explained why I leave it on.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if some of the people aren't "well seasoned" campers, that may not belong to RV forums that have people to help them, and may be guided by ignorance and lack of preparation... In a hurry to get going on vacation and such... Not thinking of or checking on the forecast...

Perhaps they don't know about battery banks and such...

While I agree that "entitled" people are not good to have around, some people just get caught unprepared...

In my travels to remote and dangerous places, I encountered many good people that just hadn't thought things through thoroughly. Prepare and respect has always been my guide as you never know what can happen... However, everyone doesn't think as I do, which is probably a good thing!

If this happened in January, well, that might be different... Empathy can be a hard word to understand...

I do recall reading somewhere about judging people... especially when all of the facts are unknown..
Inquiring minds want to know...

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why on earth would you leave your water heater on overnight?

Are you prone to sleep-showering?

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My hot water tank water doesn't stay hot all night.

If I found myself at a campground that required water pumps, furnaces, and water heaters to be turned off during the night, I would abide by that.

If I'm camping and my neighbor approaches me about my water heater waking them up at night, I would turn it off.

But, outside of that, I prefer to not be in agony because my joint rubbed against a pillow.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
2oldman wrote:
tommyznr wrote:
In my rig the furnace cycling would be much louder than any generator noise sourced from "many" surrounding camp sites with the RV buttoned up to keep out the cold.
Gas water heaters are also very loud, especially at 3am. When they initially fire up it sounds like an explosion. I don't know why people leave them on all the time, or if they even know they're on. They must be deaf.

I leave mine on because when I have to get up and pee at 3 am, washing my hands in cold water is excruciating due to my arthritis. And waiting for a pot of water to heat up at 3 am so I can wash my hands is just not conducive to getting back to sleep quickly.

But I never run a furnace or a generator, I never leave lights on all night, I never have loud music or drunken parties or fights, etc.

we always turn the WH off at night. even by morning the water n the WH is still hot enough that it still to hot to use directly w/o mixing with cold water.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

blt2ski
I guess it's good some of you don't use you RV as a ski hut as I did.
In official generator off was 9pm, or lights out at area. That was 1am new years eve. Of course folks are partying in parking lot etc too.
Hrs seem good to me. Seems a bit silly or wierd that many RV's did not have enough amp hrs, or dead'ish batteries for this to be going on.
A possiblity not mentioned, some might only have electric heat. I find this hard to believe.

My 02 on this.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:
tommyznr wrote:
My cartoon bubble:

As for the "rules are rules" folks, rules are at the discretion of the enforcing authority to enforce as they see fit.

I couldn't agree more.

Chum lee

IMO, if the rules are there, you should follow them. But I also believe in doing right because it's right and not because I'll get in trouble otherwise.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
I leave mine on because ....
Even on hookups I'm surprised to hear those heaters. I guess some RVs are gas only.

Mine is. It's a 1975 motorhome. The water heater was replaced years and years ago, but is still old enough to be gas only and no electronic ignition.

My trailer water heater (original to 1998) is the same.

Maybe because I live in a house with a gas wall heater, I really don't find the gas items as loud or as annoying as generators. The whoosh and hiss doesn't bother me like the putt-putt-putt of a gas motor.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
tommyznr wrote:
My cartoon bubble:

As for the "rules are rules" folks, rules are at the discretion of the enforcing authority to enforce as they see fit.

I couldn't agree more.

Chum lee

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I leave mine on because ....
Even on hookups I'm surprised to hear those heaters. I guess some RVs are gas only.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
tommyznr wrote:
In my rig the furnace cycling would be much louder than any generator noise sourced from "many" surrounding camp sites with the RV buttoned up to keep out the cold.
Gas water heaters are also very loud, especially at 3am. When they initially fire up it sounds like an explosion. I don't know why people leave them on all the time, or if they even know they're on. They must be deaf.

Yep, on all. Me, living in the mountains, and not used to much noise, insulated and sealed up old camper,so it is much warmer, AND put in a thermostat that I set to come on at 45, turn off at 65. Just last week, camping on the prairie,30 at night,sometimes wind, furnace would come on 1 time, 2 times when there was 30-60 mph winds.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
tommyznr wrote:

I leave mine on because when I have to get up and pee at 3 am, washing my hands in cold water is excruciating due to my arthritis. And waiting for a pot of water to heat up at 3 am so I can wash my hands is just not conducive to getting back to sleep quickly.

But I never run a furnace or a generator, I never leave lights on all night, I never have loud music or drunken parties or fights, etc.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What โ€œhelpโ€ does someone need to follow the โ€œno generators after 9 pmโ€ rule?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
tommyznr wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman