cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Community Campfires?

oneolddog
Explorer
Explorer
What do you all think of community camp fires? I think that they are a great way to meet your fellow campers and they keep the smoke down to a minimum. Do you like your own campfire or should there be no fires?
2009 Allegro Bus 36QSP (Sold March 2011)
43 REPLIES 43

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Any campfire for us!

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
PopcornJunkie wrote:
We love sitting around our campfire talking, roasting hot dogs and smores, or putting tin foil dinners in the coals.

That's why God invented campfires.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

PopcornJunkie
Explorer
Explorer
Don't care if there's a community campfire as long as we can still have our own campfire at our site. With work, school, sports, taking care of elderly parent in assitant living, and church functions it's hard to find time to be alone together with our kids. We go camping twice a year for one week each. We love sitting around our campfire talking, roasting hot dogs and smores, or putting tin foil dinners in the coals.

Jean

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
One should point out that smokey fires are often the fault of the local campground. Since you can't buy wood any place other than local, you are stuck with the wood that is sold from the locals. If that wood is wet, it is the fault of the supplier, not necessarily the campers. Maybe we should all carry moister meters and check the wood before we buy it.
IRV2

popeye766
Explorer
Explorer
I love campfires and looking at all the FIREFACES....and seniors twerking and falling down...and paramedics responding... but we have been absolutely choked out in campgrounds where the smoke is a killer and we have to turn on the A/C to breath...dozens of fires and no breeze....hail to the camp fire............

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer to camp away from others and I prefer to have a small campfire, with just enough light to make flickering shadows, warm my hands, toast a hot dog and read a book as I lay next to it in my sleeping bag or low beach chair. The best thing about camping is how it makes me feel so small in so large a forest. A small campfire does that.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's a great way to meet fellow RVers.

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
I remember camping as a kid and a community campfire was so much fun: telling ghost stories and roasting s'mores and hotdogs, trying to outrun the smoke, etc. I haven't encountered any in our travels but would join one if we did. It's a great opportunity to meet other campers to see what they find interesting.

Btw, our city banned plastic bags and it is beginning to look much cleaner in parking lots and along the road. Litter is ugly, wildlife pays a price and it isn't that difficult to remember to pack a few canvas/nylon bags when you do your shopping.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
For us it's not camping if there is no fire. I would have one every night if we had enough dry wood. Having said that, I don't like the idea of fires in crowded campsites. It's not pleasant for those that can't tolerate the smoke. I have fond memories of sitting around a fire while boondocking with friends. We were on BLM land and spaced far enough from others.

At home we have a summer place in an RV Park. No fires allowed on your private lot due to closeness to your neighbour but at the lakefront beach area there are community fire pits with benches. It's the best place to socialize and meet people. When you are tired or fed up with annoying drunks, simply wander off to your private lot. Perfect arrangement.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
I do really want to know how one is expected to cook over a community fire, particularly if you have steaks or pork chops that take a while to cook.
IRV2

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
We have only firepit per company (group of soldiers) while reenacting and it's fun to gather around and pass around the beverages:)

Haven't had one yet with the MH, but there's next spring...hopefully we'll get out before it gets too hot for a campfire. A community campfire would be fun, too.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Enjoy the fireside smores. It's amazing what people will eat.
Me, I much prefer homemade/fresh strawberry shortcake(made my way), and without the fire.
And, it's not THAT hard for me to find the type of RV park that I prefer. Obviously, there's something for everyone.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
I like community campfires, as long as they're far away from my campsite! Seriously I'm tired of folks why want to ban anyone else's idea of a good time. First they lie to us about 2ndhand smoke, then they're trying to ban my plastic bag as a turtle-trapping device!?! It's not camping without the campfire (or the turtle chowder), is it? Here in the southwest, when there's a "RED FLAG" warning due to high winds and low humidity, we don't bother as it is not a fun experience without the campfire - and all open flames (like charcoal or propane campfire pits) are banned except a Coleman Stove-type setup.

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
:R
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.