cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Compartment Door Slam Latches

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone having a problem of the above slam latches breaking and not being able to open the compartment doors? I have had two of my twelve latches that have broken cams, which operate the lock bolt when you lift up on the handle. It is a difficult process to get the doors open, including drilling a hole in the bottom of the assembly and inserting a long, thin screwdriver to push the bolt up to open the door.

There is no name on the latch assembly, other than 'Made in China', to find out who makes them. I did find a picture of a similar latch on the web and it appears to be made (imported?) by AP Products. However, there doesn't seem to be individual parts available for them.

I ended up making a cam from steel (5/32" thick) for the first one that broke, which required a lot of time cutting and grinding it to shape. I have since had a second one break while on the road. This time I used aluminum stock to recreate it.

New latches are available at prices for 40 bucks and up. However, they would have to be painted to match your color.

Now, I have ten more to go. Let me know if anyone else is having a problem with these type latches and if you have found parts for them.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad
18 REPLIES 18

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
zigzagrv wrote:
There is no brand name anywhere on the lock....only'Made in China'

HERE is a link to the lock on Amazon.

Here you go, Fastec AKA Wesco.........

$13.95 which means they cost about $1.50 or less to manufacture.

Wow! Thanks for that! Guess I didn't go far enough in my search.

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
zigzagrv wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
Regular shots of silicon spray on the handle pivots and latches helps the mechanisms stay lubricated and last longer. Slamming the doors, . . . . . NOT!

Chum lee

There's a reason they are called 'slam latches', and are made to be closed without using the handle. As I have said before, when you close the door on mine, the striker pushes the bolt UP AWAY from the cam. The cam is there only to move the bolt up with the handle.

Do what works for you. Thank you and yes, I'm very familiar with how the handles/strikers/latches work. Slam latches? I guess we went to different schools. Who is this "they" you refer to? (rhetorical question)

Chum lee

Rhetorical answer; the 'they' refers to the slam latches themselves. Read carefully.

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
Chum lee wrote:
Regular shots of silicon spray on the handle pivots and latches helps the mechanisms stay lubricated and last longer. Slamming the doors, . . . . . NOT!

Chum lee

There's a reason they are called 'slam latches', and are made to be closed without using the handle. As I have said before, when you close the door on mine, the striker pushes the bolt UP AWAY from the cam. The cam is there only to move the bolt up with the handle.

Do what works for you. Thank you and yes, I'm very familiar with how the handles/strikers/latches work. Slam latches? I guess we went to different schools. Who is this "they" you refer to? (rhetorical question)

Chum lee

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
I had this happen to the latch on the door where the propane is after driving to Alaska over lots of road construction. Since the propane tank is open underneath, I think all the fine dirt got in the latch making it difficult to open. I finally forced it open and the stiker broke. Fortunately I had an extra latch when I replaced the unlocking fuel door with a locking latch so I was able to replace it. Because it was open underneath I was able to remove the latch from the backside of the door. Don't know how I could have done this if it were on one of the closed compartments.

I should get a spare in case I have a repeat. There are 3 compartments which are open underneath.
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:

Here you go, Fastec AKA Wesco.........

$13.95 which means they cost about $1.50 or less to manufacture.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
ependydad wrote:
Another who haven't had issues, but since it sounds like replacing them is a pretty big hassle.. can you buy the replacement and then just salvage the parts?

I'm not willing to pay $40+ to replace a 50 cent part. For the rest of my doors, it would cost me over $400.

Are you sure it's not one of the high quality, sure to break, LIPPERT overpriced slam latches? In which case $40 would be a bargain.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:

Chum lee

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer

Chum lee

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
ependydad wrote:
Another who haven't had issues, but since it sounds like replacing them is a pretty big hassle.. can you buy the replacement and then just salvage the parts?

I'm not willing to pay $40+ to replace a 50 cent part. For the rest of my doors, it would cost me over $400.

I don't disagree, but it sounds cheaper than buying a whole new latch + having it painted to match.

Hope you can find the part you need.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
I dont slam my doors, instead upon closing I release the latch with my right hand and "knee" the door closed, then release the latch. Never had on break yet.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
challengerdoor.com they are in Elkhart, IN. Great people, I changed out all my non lockable to lockable with parts from them.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
At first, I thought letting the door slam is what put stress on the cam. After taking it apart and watching it operate, slamming it shut does not involve the cam. The cam only comes into play when using the handle to open it. The cam itself is made from brittle pot metal which breaks at the pivot point.

Ron

F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad