cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Demco Excali-bar advice

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
I have a chance to buy for a good price a used Demco Excali-bar. I think this is the original model, not the the Excali-bar II. Any advice regarding this model? It is to occasionally tow a 2003 Tracker. I am a little concerned about how to release the lock collar - you need to have the tool? What if you lose it? I am going to see it today.
3 REPLIES 3

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had the original Excalibar for 14 years now. It is steel and rated for 10500 lbs if I remember correctly. I have only needed the tool a few times to unlock the bar at an off angle. After a trip to Alaska fine dirt got into the locking mechanism and had to be cleaned. I have only taken it apart to clean it twice in 14 years. I would choose the steel over Al only because of its higher rating. It has served me well.

OldF__t
Explorer
Explorer
The first generation Excalibar is a steel tow bar and is very tough. It lacks the rubber boots that the later versions have so it's easier for dirt to get into the locking collars. Not too difficult to keep clean. Needless to say it is quite heavy. Honestly I have never tried to unlock the collars without the tool. The tool does give you a lot of leverage. Mine is still working fine.
Jim
2021 Grand Design 303RLS
2019 Ford F350 DRW LB CC

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
I've had several generations of the Demco aluminum towbars, due to factory replacements. The 1st was an Aluminator had a separate tool to un-lock the slide couplers, the second had basically the same "tools" built into the outside of the bar, the third has the locks and levers acting internally. By far the third version (now called Dominator) is the best. I had failures of the "hinge" area on each of the 1st two tow-bars with welds and aluminum fracturing. Personally if it's not a machined block connecting to the pivot pin, I would not have it. I have towed 2 Ford Aerostar vans, a '96 Tracker, a 2003 Ford Sport Trac and now a 2014 Ford Flex with the Demco Aluminum towbars
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog