cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diaper Pail for toilet paper disposal.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
OK, As most of you know, during Happy Hour, most everything is discussed. The latest being, what brand of toilet paper are you using to avoid the possible of clogging up the back holding tank. Lots of brands mentioned with all good results.
Then, this one guy states that they have eliminated the toilet paper issue by disposing it in a diaper pail. This brought several questions, mainly the odor issue. He stated that with the new modern diaper pails that there was none.

Do you use a diaper pail or know of anyone that does?

We do a lot of dry camping and it looks like it would be a good way to conserve water.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog
83 REPLIES 83

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
paulcardoza wrote:
If I worried about TP in my black tank, I'd quit camping altogether....... Unbelievable!

Me too. The reason we have the motorhome is convenience and comfort.
Charmin Ultra Soft works fine, never a clog. Of course, there's only two of us, and we always flush with enough water to make it all work. And, we start with five gallons of water in the black tank.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
dewey02 wrote:
Well, I guess if it is YOUR RV then it is YOUR choice to do or not do whatever you please if you are not impacting neighboring campers. I'm sure people do a lot of things I would prefer to not know about in their RV.
Unfortunately, this one gets discussed over and over on the forum. Thank goodness that some other things do not. And truth be told, I'll bet there are all kinds of foibles that people do in their sticks and bricks - so it isn't unusual that they'd carry them into their RV.

We bought our trailer because it had the amenities that we like.
It has a toilet, we use it and flush the paper. It has a stove - we use it to cook. It has a bed - we use it to sleep.

X2!
We we use the toilet same as at home, not sure how one saves water by not putting TP in the toilet, one still needs to add enough water to prevent the dreaded poo pile in the black tank.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
I would suggest if you're going to put the used TP in a diaper pail why not adapt a comfortable seat to it and pinch the loaf directly in there also?

Sure would save you a lot of work and time connecting a hose, pulling a valve handle, so on and so forth.

ralph has the answer here. cut out the middle man so to speak. but there is a big difference in boondockers and folks parked in the middle of a RV park with FHUs.
bumpy

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I guess if it is YOUR RV then it is YOUR choice to do or not do whatever you please if you are not impacting neighboring campers. I'm sure people do a lot of things I would prefer to not know about in their RV.
Unfortunately, this one gets discussed over and over on the forum. Thank goodness that some other things do not. And truth be told, I'll bet there are all kinds of foibles that people do in their sticks and bricks - so it isn't unusual that they'd carry them into their RV.

We bought our trailer because it had the amenities that we like.
It has a toilet, we use it and flush the paper. It has a stove - we use it to cook. It has a bed - we use it to sleep.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I would assume most of you don't boondock and don't travel much around the world.

A lot of people in many different places don't put paper down the toilet. There is no "ewwwwww" or problem of any kind.

By doing so, you save a lot of water that when boondocking can be used for lots of other things like washing dishes, drinking, showering, etc.

Silly people.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just wish my oldest DD would take care of her little sweeties diapers when they leave. I've learned to remind and check but every once in a while the dog lets me know.
Puma 30RKSS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
So now we should take biodegradable TP and put it in plastic bags that aren`t? No thank you. that's like taking doggie doo-doo that decomposes on its own and placing it in a non-decomposing plastic bag!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently on a farm where I can dispose of the waste but don't want the macerated paper out there.

The diaper pail sounds like a possible solution in that situatiom.

For the time being I will continue to walk over to the stick house a hudred yards away once a day.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suggest if you're going to put the used TP in a diaper pail why not adapt a comfortable seat to it and pinch the loaf directly in there also?

Sure would save you a lot of work and time connecting a hose, pulling a valve handle, so on and so forth.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
We do not put our toilet paper (TP) down the toilet and we also do not use a diaper pail to dispose of the used TP. We also don't have an odor issue.

As far as the water use comparison, I have found that many times the TP will stick to the sides of the toilet bowl during the first flush, and require additional water to get the TP wet enough to fall through the hole. This is my experience and preference. For all the people that get grossed out, that is fine and your process is just fine too. :B

Same here. I will add that our house septic tank is challenged, so we routinely bag the toilet paper. It is not a big deal to do the same in the travel trailer. Just use a grocery store sack, and throw it away each day.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
This whole thread reminds me of a story my working partner got into.
She went to a "customers" house to discuss a contract.

The customer was an elderly lady who lived with her family of cats. The lady met her at the door and invited her in. My working partner was aghast at the smell and piles of cat ***** in the house. The lady walked around like there was no smell at all whereas my working partner said the smell was so bad she got out of there as fast as possible. She said she could not even breath!

There is one unmistakable fact: Feces smells. Those of you that say your **** don't stink.........sorry; it does. Do you have a bad sniffer? Maybe. Are you used to the smell? (like the old lady was). Maybe. Maybe both or something else. But your **** DOES stink. The hotter it is the more it stinks. Nature made it that way to signify danger.

All that said; do what you want; it makes not difference to me.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
What do people with composting toilets do with their TP? I assume it must be disposed of somehow. There are lots of things that do not go in the toilet-diapers, wipes, sanitary pads. Why is TP in grosser than these things that must be disposed of other ways? We do not put paper down the toilet. We use sandwich zip lock bags for disposal just as we would a dirty diaper, wipe, or pad and there is no smell. Each to his own. We are happy with our method and do not begrudge you your method.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Ok,, anything other than TP can be placed in a one gallon zip lock,, I had "work done" and needed special medicated wipes, they were not for septic and holding tanks,, matter of fact the sewage system in my area didn't want them flushed, SO, good old Zip lock one gallon storage bags. Colon Cancer is not a joke and you do what you need to do to prevent it and treat it!
Diaper bags and cans,,STINK!
I carried a "Special Bag" with me all the time, Mine was just a precautionary procedure, but my doctor and I took it seriously!
Other than those wipes,, All and Most brands of TP with copious amounts of water will pass thru your RV holding system. Any type of "wipe or Pad" should not be entered into your Holding system! Matter of fact,, I have had "Triple Ply" go thru my holding system without issue,,may take some flushing at emptying time,, But it like most black tank contents,,will pass!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
unless it's a marine recirculating toilet, I flush the TP. we use costco TP. they had a test report in one of the costco magazines that their testing showed it decomposed as quickly as test samples of RV TP.

sorry, but IMHO the black tank is there for a reason. that's why we use it, why we drink from the fresh water tank, why we shower IN the trailer etc.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read comments from people before on forums that did not ever put TP down their toilet but disposed of it in other ways --- YUK . That is not necessary, it's gross As far as saving water, you still will have to flush your bodily contributions down, so why not paper right along with it.