cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Didn't Think Much of These - Screws Under Vinyl Insert Trim

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Long story short. Vinyl insert trim on my RV was finally looking rough enough for me to start replacing it. Upon starting the job I noticed a number of the screws the trim is there to protect were loose & in a few places there were never any installed during the rig's manufacture.

For those of you that have RVs that live in wet climates it's probably a good idea to check out the seam screws under your insert trim to ensure they're there & snugged up (if not re-sealed).
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10
10 REPLIES 10

mordecai81
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled all that vinyl off, backed the screws half-way out(there are scores of them)sealed the exposed threads with a tiny eternabond strip, tightened screws and reinstalled vinyl. A previous trailer had some delamination from the screws wicking water along the threads so this was my solution. Going on six years on this stored outdoors trailer and so far so good.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I ran into that on a forest river fiver. In a row of 45 screws 15 of them twisted off about two threads from the heads. The heads were there, but water was leaking through the gap that was left by the broken screws. I got all of the screws out, including the broken ones, shot caulk into the gap, and re-screwed that entire length.
I prefer to find those boo-boos and fix them right. Craig.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Are you speaking of the 1inch wide strip that squeezes into the metal near the joints?

If yes, you can check by simply running your finger down it. You can feel the screws underneath (or not). If it's relatively new, not a big deal to pull it out and then put it back in. Did that on our latest when I found a couple screws that weren't all the way in.

Yes & understand what you're saying... in certain conditions. The vinyl was so heat pummeled on my rig that it was about rock hard in the majority of places. There were a couple of spots near the roofline trim section that I could see where screws had back out enough to be poking the trim outward. Most of the loose stuff I found however, wasn't backed out near that far. Nonetheless I'm happy I did this job (it needed it).

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I pulled my trim off, I found a number of screws rusted badly some almost completely in half and a few with just the heads in tack. They were not SS.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are you speaking of the 1inch wide strip that squeezes into the metal near the joints?

If yes, you can check by simply running your finger down it. You can feel the screws underneath (or not). If it's relatively new, not a big deal to pull it out and then put it back in. Did that on our latest when I found a couple screws that weren't all the way in.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Maybe I should have mentioned that the Hi-Low we purchased in 1984 had screws come loose on the rails the upper shell rises on. The lowest one caused a problem when we went to raise the shell. I ended up recrewing all screws using "Loctite".

I would call the one a design problem since this can easily happen in a stste like Minnesota with extreme temperature changes. I fixed the problem about 2 years after we got it. We traded the trailer in 1999.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
All the screws were there when I replaced that vinyl trim on my Class C a couple of years ago. The problem was that while the trim was in OK condition, the motorhome had been built in July in the heat of the summer, and the trim pulled super tight before being screwed in at each end. Every winter in the cold northeast it shrank and pulled out of the track. As it got older, what little elasticity it had got less and less, and eventually it just wouldnโ€™t stay in. This led to a couple of times it completely coming out of the track while driving, coincidentally each occasion being in busy conditions on I-294 going around Chicago. Fun times to pull over and pop it back in by hand.

When I replaced both sides, I did it in 50-55 degree weather, and did not stretch it at all. Holding up fine. The original install was yet another example of the fine workmanship weโ€™ve all experienced.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

dedmiston
MNtundraRet wrote:
Someone messed up when your MH was made.

This should be printed right below the RVIA sticker on the side of every new coach.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
MNtundraRet wrote:

However, unless there is an obvious problem it isn't worth removing good vinyl trim to look for a problem that may not be there.

Agree. 100% not advocating people remove good vinyl to check for loose or missing screws. I'm advocating not procrastinating (like I did) on replacing old UV-hammered stuff as it's dirt cheap to purchase & you could very well find the things I did.

Doesn't one or more people mess up during every single RV build? I'd say LoL but it's not funny what the RV industry has gotten away with for eons now.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

However, unless there is an obvious problem it isn't worth removing good vinyl trim to look for a problem that may not be there.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29