cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do Flea Collars Really Repel Pests?

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
saw a tip in MotorHome magazine a few days ago about using a flea collar in the water heater bay to repel pests. has anyone tried this? does it work? what sort of pests...spiders, bugs, wasps, bees, mice???

found evidence of mice in our MH today (first time in 33-yrs fir us) and in the process of cleaning up and disinfecting. not much damage...nest was very small. gonna place a few traps and d-conn bait boxes but going forward would like to repel them.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle
27 REPLIES 27

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
As Crowe said - be very careful using rodenticides. The new "second generation" rat and mouse baits not only kill the rodent (which takes about a week for them to bledd-out internally) - but anything that might eat the tainted mouse while alive or dead. Cats, foxes, crows, etc etc. Plus, the bait itself smells like fresh bread and is bright colors - would be very attractive to small children (or dogs). I had used it (out of reach, or so I thought) at our car lot, until a mouse left a piece in the middle of the floor and my dog nibbled it a bit. Thank God I saw that, and after 8 weeks of intensive Vet visits and Vit K therapy, he survived.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

TommieGibson
Explorer
Explorer
May it works. But if you have pest and bugs around you, take the steps to remove them. The pests like rodents and some small pests walking here and there in the house in search of food. And if they find it, then they come daily there to eat the food. They destroy the food items which is not good for us. So try to remove pests as early as possible or call ***Link Removed*** which has experienced controlled pests and bugs. My friend told me about this company.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Glue traps work great for small criters.

Beware. Flee collars are a product that the evil chineez copy, fake and resell to unsuspecting Americans. They do not work. These flea collars look very identical and the packaging is very identical to the real ones. Beware of ebay or amazon deals as these are usually the fakes. If you can message the seller you can usually detect if they are real Americans or write in the sloppy poor grammar as you would expect from that part of the world. Run away.

The Bayer collar is effective with fleas, but the cats seem to stick around still, so not sure other animals would be driven away, just fleas.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one - cut it up and put the pieces behind the water heater and fridge - no spiders or other bugs. Won't put one on my dog though.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
I read the same thing about flea collars repelling wasps. As far as I knew we did not have any in the rear refer compartment. I decided to put one there as a preventative measure. Before I could get the compartment door back in place a very angry wasp came out. I have changed them twice a year and have not had any since.

good to know. thanks.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
I read the same thing about flea collars repelling wasps. As far as I knew we did not have any in the rear refer compartment. I decided to put one there as a preventative measure. Before I could get the compartment door back in place a very angry wasp came out. I have changed them twice a year and have not had any since.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Admin wrote:
samsontdog wrote:
I had mice in my TT this past June. I found out they were coming in by crawling along my elect cord as I was plugged into my elect box. I used poison bait and was lucky they died inside the TT

:E

Admin

I meant to say outside the TT
samsontdog:o:W

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Baits, they take the bait with them and tend to die in places which you will never be able to get to them..

Right before we moved last year we had one crawl up and die in the back of our house refrigerator. We had to replace it because it stunk so bad.

If you can avoid items like D-Con please do so. What is also happening is birds of prey are dying because they eat the mouse that has ingested the poison. I regret using D-Con at my old house. If you can stomach it, trap them then dispatch them by whatever means you can handle.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
AJR wrote:
I had a spider build a web in the mixing tube close to the LP jet in the water heater overnight back in 2006.

I have placed used pieces of flea & tick collar in the hot water & furnace bays ever since and have never had a spider issue again.

I too had this happen, about ten years ago. I did nothing, and haven't had a problem since...

we had a spider's web in the burner tube a couple of years ago that I missed and which resulted in a small fire. the problem with any remedy like no-pest strips or flea collars is judging their effectiveness vs. either doing nothing or frequent inspections.

it's like the old joke...a fellow's house was trashed by a stampeding herd of elephants so his neighbor puts up a sign in the yard, "No Elephants". it must've worked since there've been no more elephants in the neighborhood.

there's no way to know, apart from scientific experiments, whether any of these things work but I guess they can't hurt either.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
My BIL's job required him to sometimes walk into tall grass. He kept a couple of flea collars in zip-locks in the work truck. Before he went in the weeds he would use the collars around pant leg/boot top. He claims it reduces chiggers and ticks. But it could just be sealing the gap...

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
AJR wrote:
I had a spider build a web in the mixing tube close to the LP jet in the water heater overnight back in 2006.

I have placed used pieces of flea & tick collar in the hot water & furnace bays ever since and have never had a spider issue again.

I too had this happen, about ten years ago. I did nothing, and haven't had a problem since...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
I had mice in my TT this past June. I found out they were coming in by crawling along my elect cord as I was plugged into my elect box. I used poison bait and was lucky they died inside the TT

That's why newer TTs have eliminated the "mouse hole" by going with removable shore power cords.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about flea collars repelling bugs, spiders, etc. But no pest strips work quite well. We keep them in our basement storage area all the time. You can get the Home Defense brand but we use a generic that works just as well. You just have to look for it in the animal meds/treatments section instead of the lawn and garden section. At least that is where we find it at our local farm store.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer

2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD